Melee shaman with ranger levels

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

xf1313

Melee shaman with ranger levels

Post by xf1313 » Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:38 am

Honestly the primary idea is Fire genasi Paladin. The stat block and gear is a big headache when I tested it in PGCC, perhaps, a shaman ranger serves this idea better. Kossuth is a nature deity after all.

The overall character I want to have is a two-hand or duel wield melee, with good ab. The ac can be a bit lower since I will have summon tank for me. Ideally this character have good fire immunity and resistance (from gear, race, and flameshield). So I can perform the flame walk ritual every time I level lol. And mostly ignore flame shields

The mix I would love to see is shaman that can summon planner conduct, (do I need 21 shaman for it?) hoping for 20 effective ranger level if that can be done. Adding Barbarian to it would spice it up, angry fire genasi lol. But Barbarian is optional.

Also open to other class suggestions!
Wild-elf Druid Laurifin Goldenleaf
Drow shadowlord Lomin Nightshade

xf1313

Re: Melee shaman with ranger levels

Post by xf1313 » Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:50 am

so the stat can be 15str 8dex, 16 con, 15+2 wis and 12+2 int, is it even worth it to meet blade thirst requirements?

Mix options are: 26/4 split , 24 shaman/4 barb/3 ranger or swap that around (basically 20barb or 20 ranger)

21 shaman/6 barb/4ranger (cl 27, 20 barb and 18 ranger)

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:38 am

battle shaman is pretty bad. If anything was to be considered viable it would be 21 shaman 5 ranger 4 monk which is the only setup that can fit in epic weapon focus unarmed, armor skin, planar conduit and ki +4. Damage is really not amazing but with blood frenzy running I was hitting characters for 30+ physical which is not that bad for 52 ab 7 apr 58 ac.

I still think investing in melee as a shaman is pointless and that caster shaman is 50 times more effective, but if I were to play melee shaman anyway, it would be unarmed.
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

xf1313

Post by xf1313 » Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:26 am

Thanks for the pointers, i can use shape shift spell to change into dragon/firegiant etc, not bad from the look of it really.

Map reveal simply matter too much for me XD. I love to explore and this helps with not getting lost.

I might use this build in future or bump my head into the wall and play fire genasi pal anyway

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:17 pm

shapechange dragon is quite nice with this build. Nothing too fancy to shout for nerfs over, but you can tank very reliably and your pve clear is great because you keep your ubab in the dragon shapechange.
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too