Monks and Monk Gear

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

chocolatelover

Monks and Monk Gear

Post by chocolatelover » Sun Oct 09, 2022 5:17 pm

My partner is playing a pure monk and it is SOOO difficult. Where is the monk gear??? WHy do things like Disciple's garb require a 45 UMD? Monks do have UMD.... where is all the monk garb? Even when we get treasure my bar and his monk only find treasure ffor Rogues? I thought spawned treasure was supposed to match up to PC's?

ZombieDuck

Re: Monks and Monk Gear

Post by ZombieDuck » Sun Oct 09, 2022 7:32 pm

What level is the monk in question? Are they Dex or Str based? Weapon or Unarmed?
You don't need the UMD if you have the required Class/Race/Alignment.
Monk gearing is typically:

Monk Gloves: such as Masterly brass knuckles(+1 AB, +3 Bludgeon damage) at low levels, Adamantine Knuckles(+3 AB, +4 Bludgeon damage) at around level 20 since you need an Adamantine ingot to craft them and then there's the Disciple's Wraps(+4 AB, +6 Bludgeon damage, +1 Wisdom and +1 Universal saves) for end game. There are also gloves that can randomly be found that can bridge the gap between Masterly brass knuckles and Adamantine Knuckles.

Armor(Cloth): Which is typically the highest Armor Class cloth that you can find untill you get to Disciple's Garb.

The rest of the gear should focus on having Dexterity/Wisdom/Constitution/Strenght in that order with the exception of boots that should have +1 Armor Class.

The rest of the AC typicall comes from:
Barkskin(Natural AC, can't be stacked only highest number applies) for +3 or +4 AC
Shield potion or scroll(Deflection AC, can't be stacked only highest number applies) +4 AC
Mage armor scroll(+1 AC to Deflection/Armor/Natural/Dodge which only Dodge AC stacks with the one from boots, the rest don't stack with other sources of similar AC)
Skleen (Dusty Rose) potion for +1 Shield AC(Does not stack with other sources of Shield AC, which monks typically do not have)
Haste potions/scrolls for short/hard combats(+4 Dodge AC, which stacks with other sources of dodge AC up to +20)
Forever a duckling.
Character: Typically some Orog in UD

Good Character

Post by Good Character » Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:13 pm

An answer to a question left unanswered: Arelith isn't a typical modern MMO by intention. Loot you find is nearly completely randomized based on the "loot matrix" tied to that specific chest/armor locker/etc. The only deviation to this randomization is how often certain loot in that loot matrix will spawn (i.e. Full Plate +1 vs. Mithril Dust vs. Runic Material).

Arelith focuses on ensuring its "persistent world" tagline is maintained. To help with this crafting holds the greatest weight when it comes to getting gear. Assuming you're a spellcaster bard, I would recommend one of you focus on putting your crafting points into the Tailoring craft.

chocolatelover

Post by chocolatelover » Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:54 am

Monk Gloves: such as Masterly brass knuckles(+1 AB, +3 Bludgeon damage) at low levels, Adamantine Knuckles(+3 AB, +4 Bludgeon damage) at around level 20 since you need an Adamantine ingot to craft them and then there's the Disciple's Wraps(+4 AB, +6 Bludgeon damage, +1 Wisdom and +1 Universal saves) for end game. There are also gloves that can randomly be found that can bridge the gap between Masterly brass knuckles and Adamantine Knuckles.

We were wondering why we don't see Gloves of the Yellow Rose or Boots of the Sun SOul or something equivalent..

Armor(Cloth): Which is typically the highest Armor Class cloth that you can find untill you get to Disciple's Garb.
Was planning on getting an Enchanted Fine Sil Shirt made...we assume a tailoring Rune can be added to add what he wants? Still do
not understand the 45 UMD for the Disciples garn . If it is made for monks, how would they get UMD??? Monks don't have UMD?

Cant find Robes of the SHining Hand more than +2.

Good Character

Post by Good Character » Mon Oct 10, 2022 2:57 am

Both of those items actually do exist. The +1 versions of each.

Read the UMD skill as 'ability to use an unfamiliar object/item'. Certain items are locked behind alignment, class, level, or a combination of some or all, so to use them you need UMD if you lack any of the requirements.

In the case of Disciple's Garbs he doesn't need UMD because he meets all the requirements if he's a monk.

Shining Hand +2 is pretty good pre-20. Tell him to use that till he finishes his Disciple's Garbs. Skip the Enchanted Fine Silk Shirt as it has almost all the same ingredients as a Disciple's Garbs but is weaker.

What he needs to focus on is enchanting rings, a necklace, boots, cloak, and belt with DEX and WIS.

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Mon Oct 10, 2022 12:21 pm

chocolatelover wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 5:17 pm
My partner is playing a pure monk and it is SOOO difficult. Where is the monk gear??? WHy do things like Disciple's garb require a 45 UMD? Monks do have UMD.... where is all the monk garb? Even when we get treasure my bar and his monk only find treasure ffor Rogues? I thought spawned treasure was supposed to match up to PC's?
1) Monk gear is mostly crafted/basin, but there are some loot items worthy of the monk's attention. Like Belt of the Monk and that 3-stat amulet. For early game low level items I recommend Masterly brass knuckles + permanent essence +4, and Fine silk shirt (the one made with a gold ingot).

2) Disciple's garb only requires UMD if you're not a monk. Your partner's monk should be able to use it with even just 3 monk lvls.

3) Monks dont have UMD.

4) loot doesnt really match anything. It's technically supposed to match your class and skills you have ranks in but in practice is just way more random than intended and at the end just maybe slightly leans towards your class/skills.

I hope that helps.
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

Ebonstar

Post by Ebonstar » Tue Oct 11, 2022 3:55 pm

Aspect beads are the monk necklace

choose any rings you wish to have but str wis con are the best so you can use dex on your stat boosts every four levels

Disciples robe and wraps are your armor and gloves you can use from level 3 on you just need to find a patron to help pay for them

yellow rose, hin fist gloves are all over the place before you get your wraps.

helm just get the one you like best

Boots have some basin made for str wis con
Yes I can sign