Pure Bard Build

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

chocolatelover

Pure Bard Build

Post by chocolatelover » Sun Oct 09, 2022 5:21 pm

Needing some help here... please don't say just go to wiki... I am a new player and all the acronyms... (APR, BAB... ) slow me down and sometimes go over my head. (Yes, I was the annoying GF who just said.. what die do I roll and do I need to go high or low.)

My bard is about level 21. I'm thinking of releveling. Should I start by adding some INT at the first opportunuity? So that she gets more points to spend? Trying to up her UMD and her Craft Mastery and leadership.

Also, does she need Spell Focus? I never enjoyed playing any type of Magic User before so was hoping Bard would be easier. She doesn't seem to have any Epic songs, yet? I know I need to start talking to other bard characters as the Arelith mechanics are just escaping me.

Thanks for any advice.

ZombieDuck

Re: Pure Bard Build

Post by ZombieDuck » Sun Oct 09, 2022 7:11 pm

Typically bards do 3 things:
- Bard Song, which is affected by Bard level and Performance(Typically you want maxed performance at epic)
- Spell casting that's mostly used for buffing
- Melee that is decent at being a frontliner

What are you interested for your character? All 3 or just 2 or 1 of them?

As for what stats you should buff as you level it's important to know what your stas were at level 1, if you don't know this you can just type -transfer while in game to copy your character to the PGCC test server and at the test server you can type -setup to set your level anywhere from 1-30.

Spell Focuses a bard would typically benefit from are:

Greater Spell Focus Transmutation since it gives stat spells(Like Bull's strenght) +1, making your buffs a bit more useful and gearing easier. Greater Focus at 21 also gives access to -teleport command which acts as a portal lens that can be targeted on yourself or someone else(Has 10min CD and also refreshes on rest)

Greater Spell Focus Abjuration gives 6 Force(Damage type) damage reduction giving you defense towards spells like: Magic Missile, Isaac's Lesser Missile Storm and Isaac's Greater Missile Storm.

Here's the link if you want to read more on the effect of Spell Focuseshttps://wiki.nwnarelith.com/Feat_change ... Abjuration
Forever a duckling.
Character: Typically some Orog in UD

Good Character

Post by Good Character » Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:19 pm

What skills are you currently taking? You should have an abundance of skillpoints with 14 INT.

Edens_Fall
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Edens_Fall » Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:28 pm

I know you might not want to hear me say it . . . . BUT, the character builds on the wiki are great for beginners who are not sure of character building. I would suggest starting there and after a few PCs you'll get a better feel for tweaking your PC.

FYI You don't need to understand all the notes and numbers on the build spread sheets. Just follow the stats, feats, and levels.