ESF Discipline

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Cabarcos
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

ESF Discipline

Post by Cabarcos » Tue Oct 18, 2022 11:00 am

I'm level 26 so not many feats left to choose. With 32 Discipline and 30 strength (with gear) should I pick to ESF Discipline?
I use parry with two weapons or just one when 1 vs 1, and it works great, and usually resists knockdown, but I haven´t seen yet some of the hard level 30 dungeons, so no clue.

Good Character

Re: ESF Discipline

Post by Good Character » Tue Oct 18, 2022 11:07 am

Do you solely care about PvE?

Nurel
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Nurel » Tue Oct 18, 2022 11:17 am

I believe ESF Disc is now more relevant than ever before. While it was always a celebrated PVP feat, it now has many applications in PvE as well. Specifically in endgame dungeons, mobs can and will knock you down unless you are either an 70+ AC monster, or a completely maxed out, totally geared and ESF'd Discipline freak. Of course, only dexers can run around with permanent 70+ AC, so I take ESF Disc on all my strength characters.

As the class balancing and gear powercreep advances, so does the difficulty of newly introduced dungeons on Arelith.

Although I should admit, I never played a Parry character. If your plan is to keep parry on at all times, maybe you do not need ESF Disc. *shrug*

ZombieDuck

Post by ZombieDuck » Tue Oct 18, 2022 11:55 am

Isin't Parry still capped at 1 per attack flurry or 3 Attacks Per Round? If so there are still plenty of chances of you getting hit even if your Parry is high enought, especially againts multiple enemies. ESF Disc is probably good feat here, but it also depends on what feat you're giving up for it.
Forever a duckling.
Character: Typically some Orog in UD

Cabarcos
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Cabarcos » Tue Oct 18, 2022 12:29 pm

Good Character wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 11:07 am
Do you solely care about PvE?
Yes, I'm used to PvE not PvP, and the build it's made with that in mind. Even with a good build, I will probably get my Snuggybear kicked in PvP, so I just will try to do my best.
Last edited by Cabarcos on Tue Oct 18, 2022 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cabarcos
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Cabarcos » Tue Oct 18, 2022 12:32 pm

ZombieDuck wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 11:55 am
Isin't Parry still capped at 1 per attack flurry or 3 Attacks Per Round? If so there are still plenty of chances of you getting hit even if your Parry is high enought, especially againts multiple enemies. ESF Disc is probably good feat here, but it also depends on what feat you're giving up for it.
It works great in 1 vs 1 and it's fun to use when alone. When in a group I just try to flank.

Good Character

Post by Good Character » Tue Oct 18, 2022 10:53 pm

Cabarcos wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 12:29 pm
Yes, I'm used to PvE not PvP, and the build it's made with that in mind. Even with a good build, I will probably get my Snuggybear kicked in PvP, so I just will try to do my best.
As someone mentioned there are some end-level dungeons who do spam Discipline checks but also have a bloated AB. IIRC there's a boss with mid 50s AB. However, you can certainly just avoid these few dungeons if you want.

The reason I ask is because Parry and Discipline are both skills that you want to hit obscene numbers for, yet this leaves you without access to Lore, Spellcraft, or another skill you might want to boost. The recommended Discipline you want is about 75 (i.e. 55 AB + 20 roll).

Eyeliner

Post by Eyeliner » Tue Oct 18, 2022 11:38 pm

I don't know if this would work for you but since you get +5 for regular skill focus now I think you'd be able to take skill focus:disc pre-epic on some high strength builds if you don't want to spend an epic feat on ESF:Disc.

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:54 am

70 discipline is more or less the sweet spot. Increasing in value all the way to around 70 and then decreases in value until it becomes an overkill at around 85 discipline. There's no clear and specific benchmark for discipline. You get as much as you can pretty much but in some situations you can use the feat for great strength for another 1 ab instead (or prowess if you dont have that yet) and still have 70+ discipline with normal sf discipline and then it's kinda fine too.
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

Cabarcos
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Cabarcos » Wed Oct 19, 2022 5:11 pm

I think I've just enough feats to get it. We'll see when Monkey Grip is available. Two longswords sound nice...