Ranger questions

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Tikin

Ranger questions

Post by Tikin » Sun Dec 25, 2022 12:41 pm

Hi there!

I started asking question in the Q/A part of the forum, but t'was in an already existing thread, can be confusing, plus I have other questions, so I'll just start a new thred here with all the questions in one place :D

_ What feats are necessary/useful for Dual Wielding? (I'm a bit confused by the wiki and the builds proposed) ... Like do you need the "two weapon fighting" feat? Or does the "Improved two Weapon fighting" feat provided by the Ranger class cover it?

_ Is "Call of the Wild" worth on a Ranger with 16 or 18 base CON but not full ranger lvls (23-27 lvls ~)?

Thanks in advance! :heart:

Tarkus the dog

Re: Ranger questions

Post by Tarkus the dog » Sun Dec 25, 2022 6:01 pm

call of the wild is useful if you want to play with the pet, but even without it the pet is strong just doesn't have a whole lot of ac. i recommend looking into what sequencers do ( or ask someone more knowledgeable actually, i have no idea how buffing summons for ranger pets works exactly anymore, i dont think you can cast all spells directly on them ).
rangers get all dual wielding feats for free. at level 9 ( they start with ambidexterity and two-weapon fighting at 1, for ranger its just called "dual-wield" ) the shtick is that this only applies for as long as you're wearing light armor/robe. when choosing favored enemy you will be given an option to choose a dual wielding feat, ignore it and choose the enemy instead. i think the idea is to give you the option to select those feats if you want to dual wield with heavy armor but that defeats the point of ranger.

Tikin

Post by Tikin » Sun Dec 25, 2022 8:21 pm

Ok, that makes it a lot more clear, thanks!

While I'm at it, is it worth taking ranger for dual wielding AND being strenght based? It sounds now like this option is made for dex based ranger? Or can a stranger get correct AC even with light armor?

Tarkus the dog

Post by Tarkus the dog » Sun Dec 25, 2022 11:27 pm

str gets decentish enough ac but nothing to write home about so the idea is to kill things fast, dex is more durable though but you probably want the pet to do the heavy lifting damage wise. in either case your pve experience on your own will be challenging. although rangers are loners, they just do a lot better with friends.

Wethrinea

Post by Wethrinea » Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:24 am

STRangers trade AC for kill pressure, and with 7 APR hasted, 8-9 regen per hit, good AB, excellent damage vs fav enemies and +5 weapons, that kill pressure is significant and can be sustained for a long time.

The AC difference between a dex and str ranger is not that big either; 4 points given 26 str vs 26 dex and equal tumble investment.

With a little lore to use low level scrolls like Shield and Mage Armour, access to divine wands (NEP, Death Ward, bless weapon, divine Imp Invis), their own buffing spells (Barkskin, Aid, zoo, blade thirst, Freeom of Movement) as well as Haste, Clarity and True Strike potions, Rangers can excel at a lot of content solo.

At early levels, your animal companion and liberal use of Animal Empathy to dominate up to two other animals will make your leveling experience surprisingly pleasant. Of all non-summoner classes, Rangers probably have the easiest time leveling up to the mid epics.
Ivar Ferdamann - Mercenary turned Marshall

Tikin

Post by Tikin » Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:04 am

Thanks a lot for your answers! :heart: