Rogue / AA / Ranger

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Not a Mad Titan

Rogue / AA / Ranger

Post by Not a Mad Titan » Fri Jan 13, 2023 4:53 am

Hello,

I am trying to make a mundane AA.

So far this is what I've come up with.

Race: Wood Elf

Stats:
Dex - 16 +2 Gift
Con - 14 +2 Gift
INT - 16

Levels in Order: Rogue 3 -> Ranger 6 -> AA 9 -> 10 Rogue -> Ranger 2

9 Arcane Archer gives me +5 Enchantment Bonus.

8 Ranger gives me (Archer Path) gives me a few good feats, Animal Language, Use Poison, track, and Discipline.

Rogue 13 gives me Epic Dodge, skills, bonus language Sign Language, dirty fighting and a few uncanny dodges.

Any advice?

TurningLeaf
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Re: Rogue / AA / Ranger

Post by TurningLeaf » Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:56 pm

Use poison not worth, animal language I won't judge but maybe take a look at 16 rogue and 5 ranger. Also then maybe you can also reduce the int back down to 14 and have the same amount of skill pts, then you have 4 ability pts to spend elsewhere, an extra rogue feat and better sneak damage. Use poison should be the last reason to do anything in a build unless for RP reasons, it's just not mechanically strong.

Barkoneus

Re: Rogue / AA / Ranger

Post by Barkoneus » Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:05 pm

With that build you could find yourself a little low on AB, so you could go deeper into Arcane Archer, for more of the classic glass cannon build. Mine is:

5 Rogue
6 Ranger
19 Arcane Archer

You lose out on Epic Dodge (but still get Blinding Speed), but I survive exclusively on being guarded by a friend when doing level-appropriate content.

You still get things like full stealth progression, animal language and animal companion for RP purposes (the companion is super-weak though).