Seeker cleric builds for CHAOTIC gods?

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Amateur Hour

Seeker cleric builds for CHAOTIC gods?

Post by Amateur Hour » Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:58 pm

Monk seems to be the standard dip for seeker clerics, but is there a way to build a functional one that follows a chaotic-aligned god, particularly if you aren't human (i.e. can make the feat sacrifice)? A lot of the sneaky/stealthy themed gods seem to be chaotic aligned.

Rolled: Solveigh Arnimayne, "Anna Locksley"
Shelved: Ninim Elario, Maethiel Tyireale'ala
Current: Ynge Redbeard, ???

Paint

Re: Seeker cleric builds for CHAOTIC gods?

Post by Paint » Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:22 am

Amateur Hour wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:58 pm
Monk seems to be the standard dip for seeker clerics, but is there a way to build a functional one that follows a chaotic-aligned god, particularly if you aren't human (i.e. can make the feat sacrifice)? A lot of the sneaky/stealthy themed gods seem to be chaotic aligned.
There's some pretty considerable synergy with Vigilante and the Vigilance track now that that is a thing. CE is left out in the cold, unfortunately.

But realistically, monk is just a -really- good dip for Seeker Cleric. I haven't done too much testing with vigilante, but pugilist-centric builds seem like a great way to get dividends out of the considerable sneak attack you get. So 27 Seeker Cleric/3 Vigi might get you some good mileage, as might 24 seeker/ranger 3/vigi 3, as long as you're alright with fitting SF Abj/AD Abj into your build.

The reason I tend not to go 5 levels of a martial on seeker cleric even though you don't pick up the extra APR is that the final attack in your schedule tends to be pretty lackluster anyways, but as always ymmv.

Monk might still have more punch, but you gotta work with what you've got.
Edit: I'm an idiot.

I am War

Post by I am War » Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:25 pm

Agree with Paint here, CN or CG unarmed 27/3 Seeker Vig with studded leather is the way to go (draconic leather if possible). The vigilance path’s Ki Barrier being able to go with light armor should make up for any AC loss, but the main kicker here is really that allowing non-dex builds to utilize Ki Barrier, too. So your seeker can actually dump dex and go more str and Wis in this case. Or if you want, full Wis and zen archery for backup dart throwing or something.

(Should really put this part in suggestion but before I forget: allow shurikens to scale with UBAB or brawler APR because it doesn’t scale with Str mod)

hugolino

Post by hugolino » Thu Mar 02, 2023 2:02 am

Paint wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:22 am

The reason I tend not to go 5 levels of a martial on seeker cleric even though you don't pick up the extra APR is that the final attack in your schedule tends to be pretty lackluster anyways, but as always ymmv.

The reason someone might opt for 4 levels of a martial on Seeker Cleric is not for the final attack, but rather for the additional attack considered to be part of the first of two flurries of attacks that the game engine parcels out each combat round. All the attacks in the first flurry (the first of two sets of attacks) are considered sneak attacks by the engine if your target is unaware of you, but the latter set of attacks are not. If someone has an odd number of attacks per round, the second set of attacks in a round consists of the larger number of your attacks, and the smaller number is the first flurry. That said, if someone makes a Seeker Cleric that doesn't rely on Stealth, the extra APR is moot, and with domain spells and feats there are alternatives to Stealth for catching a foe flat-footed.