Shadow Dancer Build

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

IAmSwampFoot

Shadow Dancer Build

Post by IAmSwampFoot » Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:22 am

Been testing in the PGCC but unsure how it will work out in the server. Two options: Ranger 11/ SD 19 or Rogue 11 / SD19.

SD 19 brings an endgame Shade of level 29. This will help me in my - primarily - solo runs across the isle. I have trouble finding a group and when I do I end up having to log out before the hunt begins.

Ranger brings AB up, affords me medium armor and shields and dual wield for free. Rogue gains me 6d6 sneak attack, more skills but a much lower AB. Strength build adds damage, dex build adds AC. No idea which way I should build.

Bear in mind, I don't do three classes. I've built four full class rangers, the fourth of which is better than the first three due to Arelith changes to the class. I've built a Kensai (when it was still available) fighter/ WM that was one of my favorites. A pure barbarian that I loved playing for his lowered intelligence and incredible damage and a current character that will end up 10 fighter / 20 Earthkin Defender. Three class characters, to me, are characters with a singular focus in PvP. I'm looking for that SD build that can be effective in group PvP and just as effective on solo missions across the isle without relying on a third class.

Prestige classes add to a character's base without denying the base. A third class adds only skills and abilities that the initial class would never have. This feels like the worst meta gaming you can do.

Dr. B

Re: Shadow Dancer Build

Post by Dr. B » Mon Jan 01, 2024 1:24 pm

Three class characters, to me, are characters with a singular focus in PvP.

I'll send you a detailed build that meets your conditions if you delete this sentence from your post. Reason: I don't think it's true and I think it promotes unfair preconceptions about players who triple class, regardless of whether it's intended to or not. I'd be inclined to be helpful if you withdrew it.

IAmSwampFoot

Post by IAmSwampFoot » Tue Jan 02, 2024 4:16 am

I'm inclined not to withdraw it. I made it clear that this is what three class characters are to me. Agreement or not was neither asked for nor required. If you see it differently, I have no problem with this. Everyone plays this game differently.

ReverentBlade

Post by ReverentBlade » Tue Jan 02, 2024 4:19 am

You've already listed the marginally viable two-class SD builds. Enjoy.

Waldo52

Post by Waldo52 » Tue Jan 02, 2024 6:04 pm

16 SD 8 rogue 6 fighter is pretty good. BaB, Discipline, weapon specialization, 1 AC from fighter, full rogue weapon bonus progression, EDIT: 3 bonus combat feats from fighter including weapon specialization epic shadow lord.

That said, the rogue 11 SD 19 you brought up should be playable. Needlessly limited without 4 APR which will really hurt, and no discipline access. I know you don't PVP but if it happens you'll have a hard time escaping, and high level PVE content can be punishing too if you're getting knocked down a lot.

I won't go too in depth with feats because optimization isn't your thing, but remember to get weapon focus, epic weapon focus, blinding speed, expertise x 2 and blind fight.

Clear Pine

Post by Clear Pine » Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:39 pm

It might not be a popular choice but I'm enjoying 20 Monk 5 Fighter 5 Shadowdancer.

Biolab00
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Biolab00 » Sun Jan 14, 2024 3:53 am

IAmSwampFoot wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:22 am

Two options: Ranger 11/ SD 19 or Rogue 11 / SD19.

Two class build, especially when the other class is a prestige class, is simply the choice of the Base Class.
Hence, it's not difficult to go PGCC to simply choose the base class and slowly work out on the best build that you think it is.

The reason why i've give the above statement is because Two class build with Shadowdancer is not among the -good- viable build out here and it does not make sense for us to spend the time just to provide subpar build when we could have given better ones which will surely help other SD players.
In a nutshell, Two Class build is Straight-forward and Simple.

I believe that the difference between different base class (martial)+ SD ( Two class build ) does not differ too much from each other. You can't go too wrong, choosing any martial base class. Even Fighter / SD works.

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by MissEvelyn » Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:18 pm

IAmSwampFoot wrote:

Three class characters, to me, are characters with a singular focus in PvP.

My 3-class Ranger without any points in Discipline would beg to differ.

Azensor

Post by Azensor » Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:43 pm

IAmSwampFoot wrote:

-snip-

your looking for a unicorn. there are builds already posted elsewhere that can survive comfortably in both pve or pvp, with one being focused on dex and the other on str.

Whether you use those builds or not is up to you.