Mundane is playing on Hard Mode?

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Machado

Mundane is playing on Hard Mode?

Post by Machado » Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:38 am

I've tried before to play as a pure paladin, barbarian, ranger and got stuck with all. I play mostly alone and had a real hard time with the half-caster or plain mundane PCs.
Playing with my cleric, with summons, self buffs, it is way more easier to clear any dungeon I got so far until lv.20.
Am I doing something wrong with the builds or it is really like this?
There is a viable paladin or ranger build to play solo? The tribal path for the barbarian is a trap or viable?

chris a gogo

Re: Mundane is playing on Hard Mode?

Post by chris a gogo » Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:07 pm

Only melee builds that are "hard" to level up are low AC ones.
Even then you can still do it just requires more effort than clicking once on the mob spawn and waiting for them to die.

90% of all PvE content is down to preparation for it, use bark and shield pots/scrolls to boost AC drink potions to increase all your stats there by increasing saves, take the lore skill and buy imp invis scrolls for tough encounters 50% conceal effectively doubles your characters hit points.

But the most important thing is find something that your character is good at fighting, for example paladins excel at fighting undead I leveled one to 30 by spending 70% of it's "adventure" time fighting only undead.

Plus it's even easier now just take leadership and hire two henchmen they are even better than summons as you can give them all the buffs you use yourself.

Gideon DeVay
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Gideon DeVay » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:42 pm

Pure mundane (No UMD) is more expensive than hard.

As chris said, once you have the coin to roll out improved invis, haste, etc, or have the in-game items that get you uses of that per day for free, it's much easier. But once you have the right prep stuff, it's fine.

Eyeliner

Post by Eyeliner » Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:13 pm

You can try to do writs at near their max level.. Like if it's for 8-14 don't do it at 8, do it at 13 or 14.

If you don't have UMD then pump up your lore (get two +5 rings if you don't have the skill) and use scrolls. 15 lore lets you use animate dead scrolls, if you're okay with that, and the zombie warrior is good for a cheap disposable summon to help you out some. Summon 3 is okay for a while too but will become useless sooner. You can also get quite a few buffs from scrolls and potions instead of wands if you don't have UMD.

Just keep in mind there's a bit of a tradeoff where many mundanes are way better than most casters in PVP later on. You can level easier with a summoner but weaponmaster will probably be able to wipe the floor with you in the end game.

Oh and tribal barbarians are very good for a while and then not good at all. I'd avoid them unless you're a shaman/barb.

Machado

Post by Machado » Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:52 am

Thanks guys.

So the answer is they will do fine if you are a money printer machine.
And about the Tribal path barb/shaman, let's say, barb 3/shaman 27, the tribal henchmen will be as usefull on end game content as they are on lower levels context?

Xerah

Post by Xerah » Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:04 am

I do think that Ranger was one of my easiest solo leveling to 30. Were you working off of a build?

Katernin Bersk, Chancellor of Divination; Kerri Amblecrown, Paladin of Milil; Xull'kacha Auvry'rae, Redcap Fey-pacted; Sadia yr Thuravya el Bhirax, Priestess of Umberlee; Lissa Whitehorn, Archmage of Artifice

IAmSwampFoot

Post by IAmSwampFoot » Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:34 am

If you are looking for a pure class build to 30 then Ranger is the way to go. Dex Ranger trades damage for AC, Str Ranger favors damage over AC. Either way, your damage output is increased by your Animal Companion if you -guard them. Heal skill is a must. Str Ranger will put out nearly as much damage as a Str Barb with a two-handed weapon, more if you take the right Animal Companion. Dex Ranger does a better job of -guarding their Animal Companion but kills slower. And with the way Arelith handles favored enemies you can end up with 10 or 12 favored enemies that you can use Bane of Enemies on.

Easily one of my favorite classes to play and in no way weak on the server.

chris a gogo

Post by chris a gogo » Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:31 am

Unread post by Machado » 27 Apr 2024 03:52

Thanks guys.

So the answer is they will do fine if you are a money printer machine.
And about the Tribal path barb/shaman, let's say, barb 3/shaman 27, the tribal henchmen will be as usefull on end game content as they are on lower levels context?

Well shaman with three barb levels isn't mundane it's a magic summoner build that you can pick between necro or conjuration with two free henchmen from rage on top.
You basically run around with 3-6 summons doing all the fighting, it is truly one of the most boring builds there is sounds fun but it's gets old unbelievably fast.
IMO.

Just wanted to add to your money printer comment.
This is a game and like any game it has resources if you use the resources you do better at it, gold is there for your character to buy what it needs if you do that you will perform better at the game and earn even more gold.
There is a guide on how to make gold it's a pretty good one, but the simple thing is take everything you find and sell it, you don't need appraise but a bit of search helps a lot.

IAmSwampFoot

Post by IAmSwampFoot » Sat May 04, 2024 4:03 am

On the money topic, there are a few areas in the game that you can make 30-50k gp soloing on a mundane character. I've done it on a Fighter Earthkin Defender build on a single run through (not doing a loop, but there, to the end and back out). This helps with equipment to raise AC and AB and for the potions, scrolls and healkits you will need. Find those areas and run them when your coin runs low and you'll be able to get to those upper levels with ease.

MRFTW

Post by MRFTW » Sun May 05, 2024 12:50 pm

IAmSwampFoot wrote:
Sat May 04, 2024 4:03 am

On the money topic, there are a few areas in the game that you can make 30-50k gp soloing on a mundane character. I've done it on a Fighter Earthkin Defender build on a single run through (not doing a loop, but there, to the end and back out). This helps with equipment to raise AC and AB and for the potions, scrolls and healkits you will need. Find those areas and run them when your coin runs low and you'll be able to get to those upper levels with ease.

Great advice. I look for enemies that drop quite a lot of scrolls as they sell quite well. The other thing I'd say is that you absolutely do NOT need gear-crafting professions as a mundane.

I'd strongly recommend 20 points in art crafting and some investment in herbalism. Cutting raw gems and dumping them into a gem scale is a very easy way of making gold. You can sell for at least double to players but oftentimes it's a waste of time trying to find a buyer. If you're quite good at remembering where particular gem nodes spawn, I'd say 40 points in art crafting is worth it, too.