Arcane archer/ magic using archer

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Rivace_Silver

Arcane archer/ magic using archer

Post by Rivace_Silver » Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:43 am

Hi everyone, Im new to the server, really just started playing today.

I have a concept for a character id like to have and I need major help fleshing it out into a workable build on arelith. Ive been told by many that build on arelith work very different then on nwn:OC or even other servers.

So ill just list out my ideas for the concept and maybe someone can suggest a build?

Concept : sorcerer/arcance archer
-damage output will be mainly from the bow, minimal if at all dmg source from casting.
- combat stealth (or a combat stealth-ish work around) for emergency situations
-Im not sure if this is possible on this server but id like to be able to sneak attack with a bow from range.
-spells would mainly be focused on buffing and summons to protect/keep enemies at a distance, distract for sneak attacks.
- i want to max my bow APR as high as possible, getting as much dmg/round as i can, while keeping the summons relevant at lvl 30. the summons do not do me any good if they are instantly killed in lv 30 environments, within reason of course.

So essentially
-- Bow for dmg
--spells for enhancement
--summons for defence

I do epic builds for lv 40 characters. This lv 30 cap has already blown anything i can think of apart, and shredded it to ribbons. Obviously its not as simple as adapting a lv40 build and crunching it down to 30 levels. So I'm asking for the experience of the players on the server to help me make my concept an effective, survivable, efficient build.

The skills this character will have, will be party buffing/healing with Ranged dps support and summons to assist in mitigating dmg. In a solo setting it should be able to send 1-2 summons out to tank moderately while barraging the field with arrows.

Not afraid of ECL, bring it on ..

Thank you for taking the time to read my post.

best,

Riv
Last edited by Rivace_Silver on Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
-That one time that Stath did that one thing and it was funny...

-We cannot all be the hero, some have to be the normal folk who make others heros..

- we are all the protagonist of our own stories.

Rivace_Silver

Re: Arcane archer

Post by Rivace_Silver » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:13 am

In this commont post ill add in any additional information that i think of or is suggested to me:

Suggestion: Bard inclusion
Im worried about the weak spell casting .. summons wont be worth anything in lv20+ environments. id like someone to comment on this as well. :D

Idea: Druid pets for tankiness?
there might be a potential for a Druid/Ranger or Druid/Fighter(bow focus) concept. this would allow for armor to be worn as well...

Suggestion: Cleric or druid + Zen archery?
Would this have the main source bow dmg im seeking? how would i max out my Apr if i go this route?

Suggestion: Monk/Cleric + AA levels
Wis/Dex build .. both stats go into AC .. i would assume zen archery and wis>dex

The more i look at AA, the more i think its amazing.

Someone asked me, how much caster i want. Answer: The buffs are there with very few druid/cleric/sorc levels .. a protection here, apropriate stat buffs, Ac buff. + saves. ... for the caster levels .. what is more important is that i get summons that can tank. so if i can max out my archer abilities and get a summon that can tank lv 30 environments decently, especially in a party .. then that is perfect. I do not need a god pet tank. something that might die right as i kill the enemy would be fine. i can just rest and reset for the next fight..
Last edited by Rivace_Silver on Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:02 am, edited 3 times in total.

-We cannot all be the hero, some have to be the normal folk who make others heros..

Serendipitous

Post by Serendipitous » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:15 am

if you're worried about weak apellcasting you'll love this, spellcasting classes are "not" required for arcane archers on Arelith only elf/half elf and the remaining requirements, conceivably you could build an archery focused arcane archer with a ranger base class or even fighter
Praise the sun!

Rivace_Silver

Post by Rivace_Silver » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:24 am

I want spell casting, buffs/healing Id love the bard song.. My worry is that for the build concept to work i need summons that are able to tank for me.. and as soon as that becomes not viable .. the concept will fall apart ..

im not sure if 6th spell level summons will hold up at all in lv30 environments. (bards only get up to 6th spell level)

Ozzy.nl

Re: Arcane archer/ magic using archer

Post by Ozzy.nl » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:50 am

Actually get Called shot, shoot them in the leg and take distance, hit and run tactics.
They work the best for AA's who are soloing.

Otherwise a level 20 Sorc with 10 AA dip for added damage would also work.

21 Ranger Archer path with 9 AA is also veri doable esspecialy with a good bear companion to tank for you.

Shadowy Reality
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Shadowy Reality » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:17 am

I can give some input, as I've played two ranged focused characters in the past with success.

The first one was straight ranger and this was before the animal companion rework. But as people have said, with ranger you qualify for AA. I can tell you it's extremely easy to play as a pure ranger or ranger/AA, in general ranged characters have it a lot easier to level up. There's no trick in this one, just get Dex, some Con and you're good to go.

In comes something different which may be closer to what you want. I played a druid/cleric/ranger build, which used a crossbow and Zen Archery. It was mostly cleric, with only 3 levels of druid and 5 in ranger. You can easily change this to be cleric18/sorcerer3/AA9. It was also a very fun build to play but I wouldn't recommend for a first go at Arelith.

Overall I'd recommend you go with the traditional ranger21/AA9. You'll get an amazing animal companion, which very much will tank for you and access to the ranger spell list, which is not too bad.

Feats you might want to get is: Rapid Shot, Weapon Finesse, Called Shot, Focus, Improved Critical.

The Kriv
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by The Kriv » Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:19 pm

Shadowy Reality wrote: Overall I'd recommend you go with the traditional ranger21/AA9. You'll get an amazing animal companion, which very much will tank for you and access to the ranger spell list, which is not too bad.

Feats you might want to get is: Rapid Shot, Weapon Finesse, Called Shot, Focus, Improved Critical.
Sacrifice 4 levels of Ranger for 4 levels of Fighter, taken in all the EPIC ranges can net you an extra +6 to your damage with WF/EWF and an extra epic feat of your choice. Your Animal Companion will be a tad weaker, but lvl 17 Ranger Companion is still pretty sweet, particularly if you choose the utility companion that has stun or slow as it's utility feature.

Also... the Animal Empathy modification for Rangers requires 75% ranger-levels to work, which you will definitely have most of your mid-level range. At level 30, 75%= 23+ levels in order to keep that sweet animal henchman... which you won't qualify for at 21(R)/9(AA), but definitely worth it while you got it (especially at low levels) -if you don't want to invest the Skill Points, just grab a few, and then fill out your gear with a bunch of +2 skill enchants... most hostile critters, if you can activate the Animal Empathy before they get a swing at you, you usually can calm them (harder once combat starts, but still not impossible.)
-Unit of beauty required to launch one ship = 1 milihelen

Aelryn Bloodmoon
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Aelryn Bloodmoon » Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:45 am

So, if we prioritize the desires to get your BAB as high as possible, to have spells to buff/heal the party, and to perform ranged sneak attacks (yes, this is something you can do- have sneak attack, and attack a valid target from within 30 feet with your bow), then I recommend something in the vein of Bard11/Rogue10/AA9.

Taking all the AA levels pre-20 will net you a +17BAB for your full 4 APR, so long as you save your rogue levels for last. If you're willing to drop to +16, you can take two levels of rogue early on to benefit from evasion pre-epic.

It will also net you bard song with bonus hp, and +2 to your attack rolls, which can stack with curse song's penalties on your enemies. You'll get mage armor, cure healing spells, haste, improved invisibility, war cry, wounding whispers for when you want to take advantage of point blank shot, various zoo buffs which can save you item property slots on your gear, and also dismissal for getting rid of enemy summons.

Oh, right. And silence, which you cast on yourself, step next to a mage, and laugh at them while you shoot straight through their dr/+5, because all your arrows are +5. Forever.

Your summons will stop being useful in later levels- this is not a problem. You're an archer. Haste. Shoot, flee, shoot some more. You will be using base ac 0 cloth, so you will be faster than everything that wears armor- and if it doesn't wear armor, you should shred it before it gets close to you.

Drop a darkness next to the enemies and use ultravision. Sneak attack all the things.

Elf is a given, so starting Dex should be 16 before racial adjustment, making it 18. You can gift it to 20. Make sure you have a 14 in charisma, and I'd go for a 14 in intelligence, as well- skill points are a good thing. Aim for a 14 in str as well (with a bull's strength buff, this means you can take advantage of mighty +4 on bows), and since you're an elf, start with at least a 12 con before racial adjustment.

I encourage you to take the Con gift for another +.5 ECL, total of +1.5.
Bane's tyranny is known throughout the continent, and his is the image most seen as the face of evil.
-Faiths and Pantheons (c)2002

Ramen

Post by Ramen » Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:44 am

Aelryn Bloodmoon wrote:Oh, right. And silence, which you cast on yourself, step next to a mage
Wait, what? That works? At what range? Can I use a scroll to do this?

THIS

CHANGES

EVERYTHING.
There's no room left for 'freedom from the tyranny of government'. Your right to live where you want, with companions of your choosing, under laws to which you agree, died in the 18th century. -William Burroughs

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:04 am

Potion, scroll, or wand. Good luck finding a cleric or bard with the necessary feats :)

Aelryn Bloodmoon
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Aelryn Bloodmoon » Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:49 am

Ramen wrote:
Aelryn Bloodmoon wrote:Oh, right. And silence, which you cast on yourself, step next to a mage
Wait, what? That works? At what range? Can I use a scroll to do this?

THIS

CHANGES

EVERYTHING.
Yes, this works. There is a visual indicator of the max range of the spell to help you out. It's 10 feet, which is the radius the silence spell emanates from you. As long as the caster isn't throwing silent-spells or quickened spells, they aren't casting unless the spell has no verbal component...which pretty much all the spells in NWN have.

When you cast the spell on yourself, you will voluntarily fail the save. Unless the spell is modified from vanilla, this is simply an aura of silence that follows you around. There is no save associated with being inside the aura- you are silent if you are in the aura once it exists.

You're welcome. ;) Have fun!
Bane's tyranny is known throughout the continent, and his is the image most seen as the face of evil.
-Faiths and Pantheons (c)2002

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:43 pm

Just go full cleric. Wis dump. Zen archery. Divine Power + Divine Might + Divine Favor = Damage.

dirza

Post by dirza » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:09 am

Get Vezsgloth, Nimor, Kethan, Tyal or Dirzva instead of summon :lol: