Corpse update.

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

HeyLadyOfDecay
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Corpse update.

Post by HeyLadyOfDecay » Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:15 am

Kobolds have no ears. Yuan-ti likely suffer the same.

Sorry, I'd love to write more, But, Uh, It feels like an oversight?
Lyann Reyer. Back by demand.
(Mass grave of other characters)

Liareth
General Admin
General Admin

Re: Corpse update.

Post by Liareth » Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:52 am

For now it's good enough - just pretend it's a trophy from some place nearby where the ear would be that looks something like an ear. The same goes for PCs who happen to not have any ears. In the future, ears will be replaced by a more RP-friendly, customizable trophy system that MoonMoon is working on.

JustMonika

Post by JustMonika » Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:57 am

Do bashed-bashed corpses leave a bloodstain?

I feel this would be a good indicator without being as instrusive and unimmersive as an instructable bone pile?

(So I kill Joe in the Arcane Tower - There's a bloodstain where he died. Then I drag Joe to the Cordor Cells, where I mercilessly bash his corpse into nothing, then bash the nothing some more. Now there's a bloodstain in the Cordor Cells, too.)

Temporarily back to Arelith and currently Lilliana Snowfire.

If you have unfinished business with Ultrianan, let me know! Arabella has been rolled.

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:48 pm

I dislike that remains are bashable, a lot. I foresee people going back to clear out the remains of their own corpse just to make people forget about their defeat sooner than later.
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

DM Monkey
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by DM Monkey » Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:02 am

AstralUniverse wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:48 pm
I dislike that remains are bashable, a lot. I foresee people going back to clear out the remains of their own corpse just to make people forget about their defeat sooner than later.
This is against the rules, so please report this behaviour if you see it.

Try harder! Help set a good example of roleplay for the server culture.

Morgy
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Morgy » Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:31 am

AstralUniverse wrote:
I don't really see the value in everyone needing to know. A corpse doesn't tell a story so well as witness accounts and written stories on it. Unless you saw the battle, who knows how it went? What were the odds? Was it a fair fight? Was it unnecessary?

If people are treating death so cheaply, it's reportable, similarly to what DM Monkey just stated! Unbashable remains were more likely to be abused for dumping around places like the hub for bragging rights, than they are for players to run back just to snatch their own remains up.. especially if their killer is still there.

perseid

Post by perseid » Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:07 pm

Everything has ears if you cut deep enough in the right spots!

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:12 pm

DM Monkey wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:02 am
AstralUniverse wrote:
I dont really understand it. People have some level of IC legitimacy to decapitate someone in public to make a point. It creates stories.

Why change it into yet another thing we have to report when we see instead of playing the game. This one is beyond me.
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

Yvesza

Post by Yvesza » Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:48 pm

It was getting goofy, people had head collections of the same persons head 20 times over. No narrative function was really lost with this change but I'll admit that being able to ID someone via ears alone is going to take a little time to get used to.

WanderingPoet

Post by WanderingPoet » Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:53 pm

This is a really nice update.
AstralUniverse wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:12 pm
DM Monkey wrote:
AstralUniverse wrote:
I dont really understand it. People have some level of IC legitimacy to decapitate someone in public to make a point. It creates stories.

Why change it into yet another thing we have to report when we see instead of playing the game. This one is beyond me.
Having immortal remains may create stories, but they're boring stories that are uninspired and uninteresting. The bodies were a method for a killer to rp -at- the settlement. They can still claim they killed the person and this creates more interesting stories where the killer rps -with- the settlement.

Sure, some people may break the rules, but I'd prefer the one or two people that clean up their own bodies than the one or two people that mass killbash people in town so that their bodies are on display.

So much better to be able to react to the world around you than to have some weird enforced mechanic so that people can boost their pride (I'm uncertain why else people would want to display trophies for up to 24 hours than pride) over winning some mechanical PVP fight. Yeah, remains will be removed (reportable if they remove their own, but surely someone will clean them up soon), but that's just reasonable IC for the locals to clean up dead bodies and blood stains.

Frankly, if you've killed someone and they entirely trivialize your encounter and try to pretend it didn't happen (which they could do after a reset anyways) then why not just find someone who'll respect your RP/story more and play with them?
Path_of_Play wrote:Fear, intimidation, anger - All these, the tyrant's tools.
Laughter, encouragement, play - not simply just for fools.
These tools reveal,
More is learned,
From another in an hour of play,
Than in a year of contention.

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:37 pm

WanderingPoet wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:53 pm
Frankly, if you've killed someone and they entirely trivialize your encounter and try to pretend it didn't happen (which they could do after a reset anyways) then why not just find someone who'll respect your RP/story more and play with them?
Good point!
Svrtr wrote:

Good Character

Post by Good Character » Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:00 pm

Possibly unintentionally but the market for Skull Poles and Impaled Monster Heads might skyrocket with this update. Hail to the carpenters!

On that note, I hope the Impaled Monster Head's recipe drops the steel spear requirement to a bronze spear.

Kalthariam

Post by Kalthariam » Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:23 pm

I know i'm personally going to start clearing out every bashed corpse I see.

it's unsanity to leave corpses laying around.

I don't really care if people get grumpy at me for it. Literally makes zero in character sense to just walk around and ignore a mutilated corpse in the middle of the room no matter where you are.

I am very glad for this change, the fact the bashed corpses were completely invulnerable originally felt really dumb, and fairly immersion breaking.

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:37 am

Because we play in a muliplayer persistent collaborative world and you shouldn't be allowed to just ignore whoever and whatever events you feel like simply because you want to ignore reality and substitute your own, nor should these people be rewarded or accommodated.

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:22 am

TimeAdept wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:37 am
Because we play in a muliplayer persistent collaborative world and you shouldn't be allowed to just ignore whoever and whatever events you feel like simply because you want to ignore reality and substitute your own, nor should these people be rewarded or accommodated.
Also good point. But you gotta find the balance between playing and enjoying the game and also serving example to influence the community in a positive manner and be a good sport right? So idk about you but I cant just report people 24/7 for every little (sometimes really insignificant but who am I to judge) rule breaks and a good solution with such players who treat death cheaply is really to just vote with your feet and play with someone else. The sad part about it and also why I agree with your view is that those people who treat death cheaply also do find their tribe.
Svrtr wrote:

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:03 am

TimeAdept wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:37 am
A fair point but also - that's kinda where we DMs come in? It's not a players job to police other players. And like, this is supposed to be a game? Fun? I get with the keeping to the rp and stuff... but after a certain point you gotta say 'Persuing this is making me OOC miserable. It's making the other person OOC miserable too. Why are we doing this?'
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

Peachoo
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Peachoo » Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:53 am

HeyLadyOfDecay wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:15 am
Kobolds have no ears. Yuan-ti likely suffer the same.

Sorry, I'd love to write more, But, Uh, It feels like an oversight?
Can always rename it to say kobold horn or something.

godhand-
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by godhand- » Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:12 am

AstralUniverse wrote:
DM Monkey wrote:
AstralUniverse wrote:
It absolutely does, but wouldn't someone normally come along and clean up the mess? Its kind of poor, at least from a health and sanitation standpoint, to leave rotting corpses in the street!

The victim should absolutely NOT clean up their own corpse, but why can't a caring friend take the corpse away to give them a proper burial?

Or maybe i'm applying too much real-thought to a game....
Cortex wrote: Addendum, the immediate above post by godhand is wrong in about every aspect, as were most of his other posts.

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:09 am

godhand- wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:12 am
AstralUniverse wrote:
DM Monkey wrote:

It absolutely does, but wouldn't someone normally come along and clean up the mess? Its kind of poor, at least from a health and sanitation standpoint, to leave rotting corpses in the street!

The victim should absolutely NOT clean up their own corpse, but why can't a caring friend take the corpse away to give them a proper burial?

Or maybe i'm applying too much real-thought to a game....
Couldn't the act of cleaning it up also provide 'story?' - Want the remains to stand there as a warning to others? That's fine. But you're going to have to guard them. Sneaking in to clean/claim the remains of a love one from being a trophy in the Dark Lords fortress or whatever sounds like quite a cool story to me.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:17 am

The GrumpyCat wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:09 am
Couldn't the act of cleaning it up also provide 'story?' - Want the remains to stand there as a warning to others? That's fine. But you're going to have to guard them. Sneaking in to clean/claim the remains of a love one from being a trophy in the Dark Lords fortress or whatever sounds like quite a cool story to me.
So add a step in the way maybe? a roll. Maybe do it like adjusting sails on a ship. takes X time minus Y time and Y being your [whatever stats or skill that fits in here]. So it could for example take 90 seconds to clean remains rather than just bashing it further. then it can be 90 seconds -5 seconds for every str mod the cleaner has, or something like that.
Svrtr wrote:

Morgy

Post by Morgy » Sat Oct 08, 2022 1:30 pm

PCs can make a point when they kill or subdue another player in front of others. No one saw it? Well then your PC should have made a bigger scene of it, so others could see the message.

Having control over where the remains sit for 24 hours, and forcing a player to avoid that area (even when you aren’t there), isn’t fun or creative.

We have trophies and you can still control whether another player lives or dies. Why do you still need to control a player more than that? As grumpy said, if it is a very important message to you, then you’ll have to guard the remains or RP to arrange another to do it! If you want to move on and do other stuff, then you shouldn’t still have this unchallenged control over someone’s identified remains, that you have already moved on from.

Waldo52

Post by Waldo52 » Sat Oct 08, 2022 6:37 pm

I miss the heads. Leaving a pentagram of severed ears in front of the gate to Cordor doesn't have the same effect.