The Tomb of the Last King Door Puzzle

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

riffraff

The Tomb of the Last King Door Puzzle

Post by riffraff » Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:14 am

Two friends and I got stuck on the puzzle near the entrance (with the heiroglyphs and the doors) for over forty minutes. We eventually started looking for hints here on the forums and I'm not confident we'd have solved it if we hadn't. It was very demotivating and really killed my enjoyment of the rest of the dungeon. When we encountered the second puzzle, we immediately abandoned it because we didn't want to fall into the same trap.

I think this puzzle is far too unclear and in multiple ways.

Firstly, the rune tiles. Having runes that are (seemingly?) red herrings is fine in theory, but the clue on the heiroglyphs isn't clear enough to guide you away from them. It's not helped by the fact that some of the rune tiles click when stepped on and others don't. It led to us feeling they must be a combination and then being confused and frustrated because we couldn't sync up the runes with the described images. If there is a solution using the tiles, we honestly couldn't figure out what it could be and we tried a lot.

Secondly, the clue pointing to the hidden solution/shortcut is too cryptic in my opinion. There's no reason for you to assume it's referring to your position because there's nothing there indicating the room you're standing in. I'm still not sure what the chalice refers to because it doesn't seem to sync up with where that hidden spot is. Some description that alludes to the partition of the room or the tapestries on the walls would go a long way to helping a player have the epiphany that the heiroglyphs are indicating orientation and have nothing to do with the runes.

Finally, the actual ability to spot the hidden thing. I looked where it was multiple times on a hunch and couldn't find it at first, so I figured it was somewhere else. I assume there's a spot/search check involved? Either that or it bugged out on me on a couple of checks.

Changing some of these things would go a long way to making the puzzle fun and engaging, instead of a frustrating time sink.

cold chuckle

chris a gogo

Re: The Tomb of the Last King Door Puzzle

Post by chris a gogo » Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:10 pm

First time I did this it was frustrating, annoying and hilarious.
Keep it as it is spent 20 mins with another player trying to figure it out then found the "spoiler" and laughed about it.