Your list of Useless Feats

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Kenji
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Your list of Useless Feats

Post by Kenji » Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:36 pm

Hey,

What available feats do you consider useless?

Is it Courteous Magocracy?

Is it Thug?

Is it Circle Kick?

Have fun listing them out and why they are most definitely never going to be on your character sheet.

Wrips

Re: Your list of Useless Feats

Post by Wrips » Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:47 pm

While not necessarily useless, I made a suggestion for the Silver Palm feat to add +2 Bluff on top of the +2 Leadership and Appraise it grants right now. That would bring it more in line with bonus skill points granted by Skill Focus (with Skill Focus giving +5 to a skill of your choice and Silver Palm giving a total +6 skills distrubuted between three skills.) It'd also make it equal to the Silver Palm feat on NWN2.

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:01 pm

bullheaded
circle kick
resist disease
resist poison
resist energy
stealthy
snake blood
silver palm
improved unarmed strike
alertness (useless just bad except as requirement for harper)
thug (useless just bad except as requirement for zhent)

They are simply very bad. Low return for my buck. Not much to add here.

Last edited by AstralUniverse on Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Svrtr
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Svrtr » Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:05 pm

Perfect health

Fairly strong, mostly against poisons, but god the cost of an epic feat and even worse the 25 CON requirement is killer

Eyeliner

Post by Eyeliner » Tue Nov 07, 2023 5:03 am

Not totally useless, but Epic Toughness seems lackluster. An epic feat for 20 hp. It could at least give another 1 hp/level like non-epic Toughness.

Also, I may be wrong about this but I think Self Concealment is worthless as is on Arelith and it's a cool concept that could be something.

Paint

Post by Paint » Tue Nov 07, 2023 5:21 am

Improved Unarmed Strike fills me with contempt. Not only does it do nothing the moment you slap on a pair of gloves, it stands as an onerous feat-tax for the pugilism feats.

Is Improved Dweomercrafting still a feat? Please tell me it's not a feat anymore.

PowerWord Rage

Post by PowerWord Rage » Tue Nov 07, 2023 5:33 am

Improved Initiative / Superior Initiative (Epic Feat)
A feat that is incredibly powerful in PnP but absolutely worthless in NWN.

-XXX-

Post by -XXX- » Tue Nov 07, 2023 6:36 am

Combat casting
Improved combat casting

These feats do next to nothing for characters with 27+ concentration.

perseid

Post by perseid » Tue Nov 07, 2023 1:54 pm

Arcane Defense: Any school besides Abjuration.

Arcane Defense is competing with much generally better options like Luck of Heroes and Strong Soul in an environment where saving throws are easily boosted via effective multiclassing and simply gear. In its current state it reads like a false-start to a class feature revamp. It's obviously better to have the Abj. option than no good uses for Arcane Defense at all, and the Abj. option is exceptionally well considered imo in how it provides a "small" yet mechanically significant bonus, but in its current state I'd call Arcane Defense one of the most universally worthless feat choices you could make.

Cthuletta

Post by Cthuletta » Tue Nov 07, 2023 5:39 pm

PowerWord Rage wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2023 5:33 am

Improved Initiative / Superior Initiative (Epic Feat)
A feat that is incredibly powerful in PnP but absolutely worthless in NWN.

Came here to say exactly this lol
I used to always pick Improv. Initiative on NWN when I was younger, thinking it'd apply the same way it does in PnP.
It does not!

Juniper Oakley - A Little Bitey

Ny'aza 'Peggy' Philor'tyl - Travelling
Tiffa Took Hss'tafi - Happy in Sigil

Rubricae
Location: Space Station 3 (Have you seen Carmen Miranda's ghost?)

Post by Rubricae » Fri Nov 10, 2023 4:41 am

epic reputation.

Tarkus the dog

Post by Tarkus the dog » Fri Nov 10, 2023 6:44 am

AstralUniverse wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:01 pm

bullheaded
circle kick
resist disease
resist poison
resist energy
stealthy
snake blood
silver palm
improved unarmed strike
alertness (useless except as requirement for harper)
thug (useless except as requirement for zhent)

They are simply very bad. Low return for my buck. Not much to add here.

Wouldn't put resist energy and stealthy on the same list as the other feats, there are builds that sometimes utilize them (when they can). Resist energy; acid is a common pick for high blackguard and stealthy is actually solid if you want to get as much hide/ms as possible (few cases but this happens). Similar for alertness if you're doing the opposite thing, trying to mess with the stealth builds.

Nurel
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Nurel » Fri Nov 10, 2023 12:50 pm

Paint wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2023 5:21 am

Improved Unarmed Strike fills me with contempt. Not only does it do nothing the moment you slap on a pair of gloves, it stands as an onerous feat-tax for the pugilism feats.

Is Improved Dweomercrafting still a feat? Please tell me it's not a feat anymore.

Could you please explain a bit more about this? Doesn't improved unarmed strike make it possible for non-monks to play with gloves as their weapon? I was looking at this feat while theorycrafting a Battlerager barbarian, since keen gloves are now a thing

Svrtr
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Svrtr » Fri Nov 10, 2023 12:59 pm

Nurel wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2023 12:50 pm
Paint wrote:

Could you please explain a bit more about this? Doesn't improved unarmed strike make it possible for non-monks to play with gloves as their weapon? I was looking at this feat while theorycrafting a Battlerager barbarian, since keen gloves are now a thing

All improved unarmed strike does is it prevents you from triggering an attack of opportunity when you make an unarmed attack. Likewise it is required for brawler or pugilist if you don't dip liberator or vigilante

However the part about the attack of opportunity? Yea if you're wearing gloves that ALREADY makes your unarmed attack not trigger an attack of opportunity

Ergo if you're wearing gloves or gauntlets the functionality of the feat is worthless

Heroic Spirit
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Heroic Spirit » Fri Nov 10, 2023 6:11 pm

Stealthy only giving +2 to hide/ms is sad compared to the boost given to skill foci.

Something like reducing the strength of keen senses vs the character might make it appealing.

Another idea:Players also detect stealth 5 times a second. So if Stealthy allowed sneaks to avoid one of the detection rolls each second.

Both of these grant power to the feat without number bloat. Either way, sneaking still requires investment

Edens_Fall
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Edens_Fall » Fri Nov 10, 2023 6:52 pm

Improved spell resistance: a +2 SR when such can be gained via other means doesn't seem worth a feat slot.
Epic toughness: 20 HP is not worth an Epic Feat slot

Bullheaded: A feat restricted to the first level and skipped when there are so many other first-level feats worth taking.

Resist disease, Resist poison, Snake blood: By themselves not worth a feat loss when so many builds have so few feats to work with. Maybe if they were combined into something new?

Resist energy: Not worth it when we have spells and essences IG that do the same thing. Maybe if it was an Epic Feat and gave resistance to all energy types?

Silver palm: A feat restricted to the first level and skipped when there are so many other first-level feats worth taking.

Thug: No explanation is needed for this one.

Stealthy: For reasons already mentioned above.

RedGiant

Post by RedGiant » Sat Nov 11, 2023 1:27 am

Paint wrote:

Not saying this is a strong argument, but there are some odd builds I've considered where I wouldn't quite hit the threshold for Tier 3 otherwise and I could spare one feat but not the 30 skill points to get it through craft.

That being said, since 30 skill points grants you full access entirely, maybe its time give this feat the same treatment which might make it a little more appealing on certain rare combos.

The GrumpyCat wrote:I CLICK THE HOSTIBLE BUTTON NOW U ARE DED!
Irongron wrote:The slaughter, i am afraid, will not abate.

Svrtr
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Svrtr » Sat Nov 11, 2023 3:41 am

RedGiant wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2023 1:27 am
Paint wrote:

Not saying this is a strong argument, but there are some odd builds I've considered where I wouldn't quite hit the threshold for Tier 3 otherwise and I could spare one feat but not the 30 skill points to get it through craft.

That being said, since 30 skill points grants you full access entirely, maybe its time give this feat the same treatment which might make it a little more appealing on certain rare combos.

Of note too skill focus craft mastery and ESkF craft mastery give 5 and 10 craft points respectively AND +1 tier, so improved dweomer gives +1 but no bonus craft points... so its entirely worthless

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Sat Nov 11, 2023 6:35 am

Svrtr wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2023 3:41 am
RedGiant wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2023 1:27 am
Paint wrote:

Of note too skill focus craft mastery and ESkF craft mastery give 5 and 10 craft points respectively AND +1 tier, so improved dweomer gives +1 but no bonus craft points... so its entirely worthless

Pretty much this.

The appeal of improved dweomcrafting is supposed to be the fact it gives +1 tier to both magic and mundane routes, however, sf/esf craft mastery give the same and more, if you're going for mundane route, and craft potion/wand/scroll will give the same and more, if you're going for magic route. There's no reason to go for both magic and mundane route so this feat is only useful in theory to people who need the mundane route but cannot spare even 10 skill points into craft mastery, and have already taken sf craft mastery. Seems like a none existent scenario to me, hence - useless.

Tarkus the dog

Post by Tarkus the dog » Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:24 pm

the dweomercrafting feat should outright give you tier 3 enchanting

also epic second wind is pretty underwhelming, it's almost never worth taking ( it also doesn't work, it still heals you for the base hp as second wind ) 5 round duration for 2 ab/damage simply won't cut it, so i kind of auto put it on the useless feat list

Nurel
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Nurel » Mon Nov 13, 2023 11:29 am

Svrtr wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2023 12:59 pm

However the part about the attack of opportunity? Yea if you're wearing gloves that ALREADY makes your unarmed attack not trigger an attack of opportunity

Right... OK this is not something I knew about

In fact I was searching for some documentation to verify this on the Wiki and on the forum but I was unable to find any

So, wearing gloves on Arelith (everyone wears gloves) makes unarmed combat not trigger attacks of opportunity. OK, so this is a weird thing...

Svrtr
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Svrtr » Mon Nov 13, 2023 1:06 pm

Nurel wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 11:29 am
Svrtr wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2023 12:59 pm

Right... OK this is not something I knew about

In fact I was searching for some documentation to verify this on the Wiki and on the forum but I was unable to find any

So, wearing gloves on Arelith (everyone wears gloves) makes unarmed combat not trigger attacks of opportunity. OK, so this is a weird thing...

It's actually listed in the additional notes section of the feat for the base nwn wiki

Nurel
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Nurel » Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:44 pm

Svrtr wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 1:06 pm

It's actually listed in the additional notes section of the feat for the base nwn wiki

This is kinda amazing actually. I never knew this feat to be the most useless thing in the history of the game :p

ReverentBlade

Post by ReverentBlade » Sun Nov 19, 2023 7:58 am

Vampiric Feast, actually. I consider releveling out of it every single day.

Paint

Post by Paint » Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:58 am

ReverentBlade wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2023 7:58 am

Vampiric Feast, actually. I consider releveling out of it every single day.

If I'm being honest I forgot this spell existed.