Cost of Being Mundane

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Arienette
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Re: Cost of Being Mundane

Post by Arienette » Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:00 pm

-XXX- wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 4:57 pm
These items are top of the line and are supposed to be expensive.
It's not really a market problem either - it's a chicken and the egg issue for most mundane builds - they need runed adamantine grade gear before they can go get adamantine and runic materials on their own.
AstralUniverse wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:59 pm
This is incorrect. the only thing that became more common is blade runes. The rest of the runes are as expensive as ever, and even more.
The prices of Forged and Woven masterwork runes went down 20%.
Blade runes went down 80%.
Bejeweled runes are holding price (because every character needs 3 = the demand is simply too high).
Blueleaf remains to be garbage (I wish Etched runes could be applied on amulets, then Bejeweled runes might go down).

Then again, if a character couldn't afford a rune at 500K, they likely can't at 400K and probably wouldn't be able to at 300K either.
AstralUniverse wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:59 pm
Adamantine hasnt really changed it's average market price from 50k gold an ingot average for literally years.
Yes, because ~20K for a chunk is actully fair once we take into account the amount of time, effort and luck involved to get them.
Add some markup for smithing work and the settlement tax and you can easily land at 50K per ingot.
I agree adamantium prices are “appropriate” based on its rarity and random nature. As well as the difficulty of the dungeons where it appears.

Because of this, characters who need it for their own use are often locked out of collecting it for themselves, and end up buying it from caster classes who can collect it easily and have little need for it.

Adamantium should be more readily available. It should be found in dungeons that a group of 2-3 poorly-geared mid-epic characters can run across it in the wild.

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:00 pm

Eters wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:24 pm
Having been playing a mundane for close to a year I feel like I can comment on this thread. The character I play has access to lore just to point that out, I've been trying various dungeons solo in order to acquire coin in the off-time when the activity is low, or when the mind is just too tired to delve into roleplay and I require more of a mindless grind through an area.

You do not need to use potions for everything, in fact there are a few use/day items that make your dungeoning adventures a little bit less painful, for example horn of goodness/evil, it lasts for 99 minutes and gives magic circle vs alignment, Fordor's spine gives a CL 3 bull strength but you can drink a player crafted potion afterwards to reach that +5 STR without needing to use two potions. Girdles of fortitude give you a 15 CL bear's endurance, similar to that of a player crafted potion, a barbarian's helmet (if you can use it) also offers a CL 15 bull strength. Battlemedic armor gives you 2 casts of monstrous regeneration, and the improved invisibility cloaks give you two casts of improved invisibility with CL 7, Scabbards of blessing give you bless and aid at a low CL 2 and 3 and brooches of shielding give you the shield spell for a CL of 5.

Assuming you have all of the above and use it diligently in a rather tedious dance of switching items you need only to use a few potions to be set for any casual venture, but the moment you will target higher level areas in order to get a chance to earn the sweet exotic runics you will start to go through your consumables at a pretty steady rate.

That isn't an issue in itself, consumables are meant to come and go, and their scarcity depends on the market, it fluctuates and changes but in my year of playing my mundane I've never truly found myself lacking any dungeoning potion. That said if you do want to make a solid enough income to keep going then you will have to strike mid level dungeons consistently, which feels usually more like a chore than a joy, and makes you feel like a scumbag when you find that your mid level dungeoning grind just ruined the writwork of people who are actually level appropriate for the spot.

In a group, you will excel with the presence of a mage, a cleric, a bard or anyone that can buff you, and I think this is where you'll shine the most, but the venturing alone during down time will feel miserable. The same can be said about the occasional PvP where your tools are all tied to your coin-purse and your luck with finding consumables prior to said encounter, and while I pointed out earlier that I never truly suffered when it came to PvE potions, PvP potions however are not always stocked and the consumables which require herbalism seem to often be scarce and missing, Death ward and Freedom of Movement are rarities that make every encounter a mathematical equation before being a true mettle of skill. Even this isn't an issue in itself, for the price of beastly damage and high AB/AC you are a wetpaper in the face of magic, just as mages are a wetpaper for your essenced beastly crit infused weapon.

Then comes the third point which is inventory management, which is truly obscene when it comes to the class, you'll find it funny if I was to tell you that a mundane's quickslots are harder to manage than a mage's, between the scrolls, the potions, the abilities you will find three bars to hardly be fitting, and since one cannot exactly use the radial to access consumables it's often the case of mundanes to just walk around with their bags always open. The space management is hideous because outside of a whole page of scrolls, a whole page of rods, a whole page of miscellaneous items with use/day , a whole page for essences and a whole two pages of potions to be somewhat competitive, plus a page for all the other random items, bombs etc you will often find that despite the 20000 lbs carryweight that your godly 50 STR steroids infused barbarian weaponmaster horc has, you can barely pick up items.

Which in itself is not an issue, but add point one, two and three together and you get a category of classes that is absolutely tedious to play in the day to day basis, excels in groups and in PvP when it happens, if they have all the necessary items, potions, gear and consumables ready, and suffers a pretty steady growing competition from hybrids which can achieve the same things (to a lesser extent perhaps but with far more QoL).

That's the current situation, If I was to say that I know how to solve it I'd be lying, but the tediousness of the mundane classes is absolutely a real issue, and while the costs themselves are not high, the frustrations born from the various little inconveniences do pile up.
100% All Of This. Well Said.

Kalthariam

Post by Kalthariam » Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:52 pm

There are dungeons that low level epics can easily get through that have adamantine though?

Adamantine isn't just locked behind the super end game epic dungeons like RDI, The Minds Eye, and Maurs.

There's a surface location (That I cannot say exactly where for FOIG reasons) that has a dungeon that is easily cleared by my flat 30 fighter with basic zoo buffs and barkskin potions, with basically zero effort that can spawn adamantine and keep adamantine veins for several days.

My fighter's been clearing this dungeon for adamantine since before they were fully decked out, it's only gotten easier with time.

I'm sure this isn't an isolated place either, I'm sure there's probably other parts of the island I just haven't found yet that also has a chance of spawning these nodes. Or maybe it is, and knowing this locations an amazing bonus I've had that other people don't have and I didn't realize it.

nevertheless it does exist.

Svrtr
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Svrtr » Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:24 pm

Kalthariam wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:52 pm
There are dungeons that low level epics can easily get through that have adamantine though?

Adamantine isn't just locked behind the super end game epic dungeons like RDI, The Minds Eye, and Maurs.

There's a surface location (That I cannot say exactly where for FOIG reasons) that has a dungeon that is easily cleared by my flat 30 fighter with basic zoo buffs and barkskin potions, with basically zero effort that can spawn adamantine and keep adamantine veins for several days.

My fighter's been clearing this dungeon for adamantine since before they were fully decked out, it's only gotten easier with time.

I'm sure this isn't an isolated place either, I'm sure there's probably other parts of the island I just haven't found yet that also has a chance of spawning these nodes. Or maybe it is, and knowing this locations an amazing bonus I've had that other people don't have and I didn't realize it.

nevertheless it does exist.
Which dungeon is this? For ones on the surface the only one I can think of is the many eyed one, which had adamantine ACCIDENTALLY and when this was discovered it was promptly removed

Kalthariam

Post by Kalthariam » Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:30 am

Was it removed recently? Because I've seen Adamantine there many times. There seemed to be no real indication it shouldn't have been there?

If it's been removed, then what I said before is null, because that was indeed what I was referencing. It was a middle teir dungeon, alot of stuff you had to slog through but it had adamantine at the end of it, and it wasn't obnoxious like Maurs or whatever and you could get through it with a middling build or a small group of low epics. I just didn't want to say anything because I don't want people to get angry about sharing FOIG information on the forums.

The many eye dungeon having adamantine is why I was under the impression that adamantine isn't that inaccessible.. if they've moved it once again to ONLY end game epic dungeons, then I'd have to agree adamantine needs to be more accessible to the people that need it.

Svrtr
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Svrtr » Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:34 am

Kalthariam wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:30 am
Was it removed recently? Because I've seen Adamantine there many times. There seemed to be no real indication it shouldn't have been there?

If it's been removed, then what I said before is null, because that was indeed what I was referencing. It was a middle teir dungeon, alot of stuff you had to slog through but it had adamantine at the end of it, and it wasn't obnoxious like Maurs or whatever and you could get through it with a middling build or a small group of low epics. I just didn't want to say anything because I don't want people to get angry about sharing FOIG information on the forums.

The many eye dungeon having adamantine is why I was under the impression that adamantine isn't that inaccessible.. if they've moved it once again to ONLY end game epic dungeons, then I'd have to agree adamantine needs to be more accessible to the people that need it.
Yea. It was there for a while, but it seemed no one questioned it. The developer who made it Twohand confirmed it wasn't meant to be there and it should have been removed. If it is still spawning there it isn't meant to be there and should be reported

Twohand
General Admin
General Admin

Post by Twohand » Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:50 am

Yes, it was never intended for that dungeon to have adamantine. If it is still spawning, please, report it.

Kalthariam

Post by Kalthariam » Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:40 am

Well in that case, I'll have to take back what I said earlier that I thought adamantine was accessible to people who actually need it.

Unfortunate, my opinion on the subject was colored by the fact the Many Eye dungeon had adamantine for a while, I was not aware it was unintentional.