Wizard/Sorcrer - Spells and Class Limitations

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.
susitsu

Re: Wizard/Sorcrer - Spells and Class Limitations

Post by susitsu » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:44 am

^^ And even in a monk's case, while they lack the AB to IKD a properly built mage who has discipline without a true strike potion, they have the saves to honestly ignore what the mage casts while they just lay on the big APR beat down.

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:00 am

Most monks I have seen fail in their "mage-killer" roles because of damage shields and lack of ability to pierce spell-based DR.

My monk could kill himself on a high level mage's acid sheath in 2 flurries without dealing a single point of damage, if the mage had just premonition and acid sheath up.

I've heard stunning fist -> heal -> breach -> KD/SF chain suggested before, but stunning fist needs to deal damage in order to even trigger a roll, and a monk is not going to be getting past a premonition with their fists.

susitsu

Post by susitsu » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:56 am

i just do two things

breach wand and dps

suddenly the mage is dead. that's pretty magical, if you ask me.

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:59 am

Sounds to me like a mage that doesn't know what to do worth the one action they can expect to complete before your DMS arrives.

susitsu

Post by susitsu » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:48 pm

They don't really have time, especially in the kama rogues case. ONE ROUND DEATH

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:19 pm

Well, it's a full round action to use a wand. That means they have a full round to do an action before you start even attacking, and that might be an action like Greater Sanctuary that buys them more actions.

As I said, a wizard who doesn't know what they're doing.

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:27 pm

A hasted monk can't killed by a mage if the area is large, they can run so fast that before the mage finishes casting anything, they're already out of LoS.
:)

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:00 pm

Nevertheless, played well by both sides it's more likely a stalemate than any other outcome. The mage will have a hard time killing the monk, but the monk will also have a hard time killing the mage if the mage knows how to respond to a breach wand.

Unless the mage has to start unbuffed, in which case the monk can probably take them out.

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:22 pm

The mage has limited magic, the monk has infinite gotta go fast.

RamblerTeo

Post by RamblerTeo » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:49 pm

dexterous munk running at INCREDIBLY hihg speed
!!!

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:54 pm

Mind, that is not to say that's whats going to happen IG. Playing monk to its fullest using every pixel advantage is a bit harder than with a mage (who also has a high skill cap), and more often than not is also not necessary due to Arelith not being a center of MLG pro players.

that is not to say i like it that way id rather have monk have a lower skill cap and be overhauled

susitsu

Post by susitsu » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:00 pm

Ive faced many people who know what they're doing, Lorkas. A rather dismissive statement for you to make. It's simply the case that mages suddenly lose in melee range. I'm sorry that you haven't managed to accomplish this yourself.

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:48 am

I'm not sure what that's about, man. I'm not saying it's never been done, or even that I've never done it, but that when it's been done, it's because the mage decided to try something that wouldn't save him as opposed to something that would. If your plan for taking on a mage is "I get to make 2 full-round moves before the mage gets to make even 1" then your plan is a bad plan, and any mage who dies to it is not playing their class well.

That's not to say that the monk will never be able to win or that the mage is gonna win right away, just that you're oversimplifying how easy it is to take out a mage if you say that you can use a breach wand and immediately go into DPS beatdown without them casting a single spell or using a single item.

-XXX-

Post by -XXX- » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:20 pm

Yes, it's true that monks can have it "rough", because unlike weaponmasters they have a hard time outDPSing the damage shield. Okay, so the situation is less point-clicky here, as they need to actually be bothered by removing the damage shield prior to dishing out the beating. I still somewhat fail to see the real argument here... what was who trying to prove about what?

Though really now, I find it rather amusing how the general consensus in this thread hints towards how it's OK and how melee characters are entitled to instantly explode mages by the sheer virtue of getting them into their melee range (yeah, I know... a profoundly cerebral activity, especially when taking timestop scrolls into account). I really wish that this wasn't the case. May I suggest buffing sorc/wiz characters by removing the hands of all weaponmasters? Srsly, make them unable to pick up the sword let the hilarity ensue.

Aero Silver

Post by Aero Silver » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:08 am

Are Thunderstones viable to use in PvP against mages?
All articles that coruscate with resplendence are not truly auriferous. Meaning: all that glitters ain't gold.

Red Sunset

Post by Red Sunset » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:30 am

Aero Silver wrote:Are Thunderstones viable to use in PvP against mages?
Due to the low DC on the thunderstone you'd probably have to hope the mage in question rolls a 1. Not a reliable tactic. You'd be better of using a silence scroll or potion. Get close enough and its a no save silence effect. Only Spell resistance can stop it, or an appropriate spell like Minor globe of invulnerability, Globe of Invulnerability, Ethereal Visage, spell mantle.

Cerk Evermoore

Post by Cerk Evermoore » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:37 pm

Anyone who says spell casters suck forget all the great stats they get from soloing artifact chests with EDK.

-XXX-

Post by -XXX- » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:43 pm

I think that you are slightly overestimating the power of EDK.

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:48 pm

He's not.

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:50 pm

Not like EDK wiz/sorcs are the only ones who can do that, I've seen warlocks/BG's waltz through some of those bosses without issue, and one particularly well built WM as well.

Pavor Nocturnus

Post by Pavor Nocturnus » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:09 pm

Nitro wrote:Not like EDK wiz/sorcs are the only ones who can do that, I've seen warlocks/BG's waltz through some of those bosses without issue, and one particularly well built WM as well.
The power of one class/ability/build does not (necessarily) say anything about the power of another.
here
here
up here kane
Kane
up here
Kane morris

-XXX-

Post by -XXX- » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:59 pm

Cortex wrote:He's not.
Huh, then you guys must tell me where you are buying your EDKs, because mine cannot quite trivially solo Paush, Abazuur, The Storm Giant, Devil Juggernauts or the "Unknown"...

Artefact chest has no bussiness being in the Aurilite Temple and Blackfin, IMHO

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:02 pm

If they have a place there or not, it doesn't matter. EDK can easily handle those places, which was the point of the post.

-XXX-

Post by -XXX- » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:05 pm

But any viable melee build can deal with those bosses with even less effort. The point is invalid.

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:12 pm

-XXX- wrote:But any viable melee build can deal with those bosses with even less effort. The point is invalid.
A lot of viable melee builds can't solo Ichtyss or the Elemental. I'd argue most can't.