-pray

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

EnigmaticSpirit
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Re: -pray

Post by EnigmaticSpirit » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:54 pm

flower wrote:I dunno what to tell you.

You expect to také down famous person by one hit and be it easy? And cheap? If yes, everyone would be being assasinated daily.

The cost of one hit on target prevents it becoming a daily buisness. It also increases price of contract. Which is just good. Why should asasín take contract for few coins on some really big boss out there? You want asasín to seriously consider the kill? Offer enough to make it worthy.

As for poisons, the new ones work like essences, you can trigger that save many times a round and he has only one single -pray use.

I dont say the gild needs not revamp, but focusing everything on single broken ability (and yes, noone would like to see hit-fail save-die thing for this) and blaming -pray is ridiculous.
You have to bear in mind the people exploiting -pray can also kill you in a couple of rounds. We sneaks need a lot longer to do it. So typing -pray once means they win.

Not expecting it to be easy or cheap, but at the moment, the gains don't outweigh the risks and the expenditure. People pay 20k for a hit that'll cost 50-60k to complete.

Diilicious

Post by Diilicious » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:24 pm

theres all this talk of pray being too widely used and available. then im at HOME with my hearth and HOME goddess, with +90% piety, not in a battle, still cant get a -pray

Its absolute cancer honestly.
Name: Shanna Waynolt nee Tahir
Height: 5'0"
Weight: 106lb
Hair & facial archetype: Ginnifer Goodwin
Body shape archetype: Example

Ramza

Post by Ramza » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:55 am

Rwby wrote: I've been hit in the head several times in my life exceptionally hard. Have you?
Ahem, DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES TOO?

flower

Post by flower » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:43 am

It is no exploit. Paralise does not prevent being in nwn from thinking and first thing most people do (often even ateists) when they know they are going to die is to pray...if in mind only.

That aside ability for save or die is just silly. And ill repeat myself. The fact the contract is often not worthy effort serves as self limitation. If every contract for any sum had been worth it people would get murdered every day and i am certain the growing dislike to gild feature would result maybe in its removal. Like Wharftown.

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Durvayas » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:31 am

As opposed to right now, where nobody uses the guild at all, because even if you could somehow manage to get two assassins into the same room together(And that would probably be the entire active guild online at once) you'll never get two characters to team up to kill people for 20k a pop total. Why would any assassin split the gold for that, when both of them will have to be heavily warded to ensure success? The only contracts that get done are the ones for 200k or more, because they're worth it. Honestly, 50k should be the minimum contract value.

If people were dying often enough the system was abolished, you know what? I'd be fine with that, because right now, the system may as well not exist anyways. With the majority of bounties being either blatant shields to protect from worthwhile bounties or just straight up low bids that aren't worth going for, the system is really only useful for that 1/100 bounties posted that is actually worth the trouble of going after. The bounty system in and of itself is a broken mess.

-pray only makes being an assassin even less worth the trouble because taking 5 lvls in assassin seriously hurts your ability to kill people, ironically enough.
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:34 am

-pray is not the reason why assassins (the class) suck.
:)

Seekeepeek

Post by Seekeepeek » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:00 am

I died so many times cause i spelled it -prey or *prey* in the past... heh

Astral

Post by Astral » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:02 am

Seekeepeek wrote:I died so many times cause i spelled it -prey or *prey* in the past... heh
They change the wording every once in a while as an intentional indirect nerf :D
Currently playing: Seth Xylo

Kirito

Post by Kirito » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:15 am

Seekeepeek wrote:I died so many times cause i spelled it -prey or *prey* in the past... heh
The number of times i've mistyped it when dying is painful xD

=pray, -opray, are both culprits >.<

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:30 am

pro tip

hotkey /tk -pray under one of the F# keys

Kirito

Post by Kirito » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:36 am

Cortex wrote:pro tip

Yup, did that after the last mistype xD

Seekeepeek

Post by Seekeepeek » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:24 am

Cortex wrote:pro tip

pro tip
Don't put it beside /tk -save. I used my god save to implode some easy monsters by the might of god rather then saving my progress while the servers was unstable recently. -210 xp for good firework ^^

flamingfist03
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by flamingfist03 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:54 pm

Wow, I was excited to get an Assassin PRC, but after reading this thread I have my doubts.
As I can see there are mianly two groups of people posting in this thread:
Pissed off Assassins
and happy-to-use-OOC-pray-to-save-their-char-from-death players.

From IC perspective, ONLY class that should benefit from -pray to get out of stun/paralyze instantly would be clerics, and it should't be pray but something like "-request-aid-from-your-patron" and available only on very high piety levels. If you are not cleric and you did not dedicate your life for serving one God thus making a stronger connection with him/her instant pray should be considered OOC use of -pray command and such players to be reported to DM for ooc abuse of this command.

In my opinion using TimeStop for an assassin is an insult to the class and profession and should be used only if there is no other option or the target is far more seasoned then assassin.

I do not have Assassin PRC yet, and I am starting to think that it is not fun on this server to play this class. If someone that has an active assassin on this PW please reply if it really sucks as much as this topic says.

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:02 pm

Whatever your thoughts may be on the matter, to change how -pray works would require a heavy rework of other things.

StealthyKraken

Post by StealthyKraken » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:20 pm

flamingfist03 wrote:Wow, I was excited to get an Assassin PRC, but after reading this thread I have my doubts.
As I can see there are mianly two groups of people posting in this thread:
Pissed off Assassins
and happy-to-use-OOC-pray-to-save-their-char-from-death players.

From IC perspective, ONLY class that should benefit from -pray to get out of stun/paralyze instantly would be clerics, and it should't be pray but something like "-request-aid-from-your-patron" and available only on very high piety levels. If you are not cleric and you did not dedicate your life for serving one God thus making a stronger connection with him/her instant pray should be considered OOC use of -pray command and such players to be reported to DM for ooc abuse of this command.

In my opinion using TimeStop for an assassin is an insult to the class and profession and should be used only if there is no other option or the target is far more seasoned then assassin.

I do not have Assassin PRC yet, and I am starting to think that it is not fun on this server to play this class. If someone that has an active assassin on this PW please reply if it really sucks as much as this topic says.
I really don't get why people keep thinking that praying in fight is OOC. Hold on, I remember replying in a similar thread.. There, from viewtopic.php?f=18&t=10950&p=92141#p92141:

StealthyKraken wrote:
Cortex wrote:All these people claiming something is metagaming when a DM or admin never spoke up about it...

This, kids, is how shadow rules are created.

[...]
Funny part is, there even is mechanical distinction between in-combat and out-of-combat praying; Praying in combat costs more piety, and should one be granted a greater favour, it costs EXP, while out of combat praying does never cost EXP.

So, since there evidently is a mechanical system in place that keeps track of whether you pray in fight or out of it, why is in-combat praying not disabled entirely, if it really is metagaming?

Apparently the system intended for people to be able to use praying like so and it is, in fact, not metagaming at all.
Furthermore, divine classes do get different, better -pray effects.
gilescorey wrote:I'm very gay

JediMindTrix

Post by JediMindTrix » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:09 pm

Paralysis leaves the mind active.
The mind can pray.

*shrug*

Astral

Post by Astral » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:36 pm

JediMindTrix wrote:Paralysis leaves the mind active.
The mind can pray.

*shrug*

What about things that effect the consciousness? Say, if you're charmed, dominated, asleep, etc.
Currently playing: Seth Xylo

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:47 pm

You can play it off as your deity or a servant of their deity watching over you like a guardian angel.

JediMindTrix

Post by JediMindTrix » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:14 pm

Astral wrote: What about things that effect the consciousness? Say, if you're charmed, dominated, asleep, etc.
Haven't seen pray effect things like stun or charm.

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:20 pm

JediMindTrix wrote:
Astral wrote: What about things that effect the consciousness? Say, if you're charmed, dominated, asleep, etc.
Haven't seen pray effect things like stun or charm.
-pray is global now and applies on anything, even during a time stop.

JediMindTrix

Post by JediMindTrix » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:58 pm

Cortex wrote: -pray is global now and applies on anything, even during a time stop.
illogical

Ironsoul

Post by Ironsoul » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:52 am

I've never viewed *prays* as your character saying a prayer right in that moment. It feels more like the mechanical representation of your god -who clearly cherishes and cares for you- stepping in and bailing you out.

Your % Piety is what represents you praying. Its your thoughtfulness to your deity represented as a number. And its influenced by the dogma of your deity. (As so far as it can be represented mechanically anyway.)

I Don~t Feel Like Dancing

Post by I Don~t Feel Like Dancing » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:51 am

The Faiths and Pantheons sourcebook states that a deity is immediately aware of everything happening at/around a spot where their name is spoken (in addition to a number of other triggers based on their portfolios).

Imagining someone going, "oh god, oh god" but instead throwing in their deity of choice and the god taking pity upon them seems both comical and lore friendly with that in mind.

It doesn't take concentrated prayer, kneeling down, etc, to exclaim a god's name in panic.

Dr_Hazard89

Post by Dr_Hazard89 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:28 am

Sharess loves me because I lather myself up with smelly goop I find in little bags on dead goblins.
Characters: Xun'sali (ACTIVE), Tianae Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Sylali (Rolled), Magpie (Rolled), Ker'uanna Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Lepota Poklona (Rolled), Andariel Bloodletter (Shelved), Tahl'tril Cyredrretyn (Rolled), L'omithiel (Shelved).