How would you make the sorcerer class more playable?

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Astral

Re: How would you make the sorcerer class more playable?

Post by Astral » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:38 pm

Opustus wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:53 pm
A classic domain of magicry where sorcerers outperform wizards is the amount of spells and therefore the amount of counterspells sorcerers have to outlast the whole gamut of the wizard's spell list in the instance of a genteel magely duel. Maybe just make that edge over wizards a bit more visible by granting sorcerers a frugal amount of extra spells per day? This way a simple buff to sorcies might emphasise an in-built mechanical idiosyncrasy and it shouldn't be too direly off balance.
I think you're missing the point of this thread by miles. Sorcerer is already the more powerful class mechanically. This thread is about making them more interesting because wizards get a lot more cookies, can go spellswords and benefit more from pale master a lot more than sorcerers, making wizards over all far more common (maybe, I didnt check the numbers of characters). But by no means sorcerers need more spells per day, they are already far stronger than wizards mechanically and what you suggest would be VERY MUCH 'too direly off balance'.
Currently playing: Seth Xylo

Opustus

Post by Opustus » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:37 am

You're probably right! I shall retreat in the distance of miles just to demonstrate by how much the point was missed.
Characters: all poor babies suffering from neglect

Eters

Post by Eters » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:49 pm

Sorcerers get more spells a day, at the price of having a limited arsenal of spells.

So a sorcerer has to learn to adapt the limited variety of spells they have, to the vast number of situations they run into.

To give them the flexibility of a wizard just turns them in my opinion to well, wizards. They're not wizards, they should not play like wizards. A wizard has less spells, more flexibility, so they have to be careful about their spells, how to use them, when to use them etc... A sorcerer sits with the possibility to have 20 walls of fire a day (metamagic included) just to light stuff on fire while laughing like a maniac as people roll and die left and right.

The entire lore of a sorcerer is how magic is innate to them and comes like an instinct to them, how it is affected by their emotions and etc etc etc... You will even find hints that some sorcerers fall into trances similar to that of a barbarian when they are in the process of causing massive destruction around them.

As for playability, both for PvE and for PvP I played a sub optimal sorcerer and still managed to squeeze 3 epic spell focused, EDK, EMA and Hellball. You have access to infinite spells per day (some are very useful) and access to all the epic spell focus cookies a wizard gets. It's just a matter of how you play them.

TLDR , Sorcerers are very playable, and you can RP alot of magical things with them.