Poison and Contagion

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Preserver
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Poison and Contagion

Post by Preserver » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:39 am

As a Talonite I believe that poison and disease are nice.
However I also feel that the DCs for said spells are somewhat disappointing: let me explain.

When the spells Poison and Contagion are cast, normal DC rules do not apply: instead, the DC that the target has to roll against to resist is that of the base poison or disease that is randomly selected when the spell is cast.
I had instances with Lladria in which, as a lvl 24 Cleric, I cast Contagion on a defenseless and willing target (don't ask!) only to have them easily resist the DC 13 disease I had summoned. Same with poison with DC 18.

Given how limited the instances in which these spells are used are, would it be possible or even desireable to bump their DCs a bit? The spells -do- require a certain investment before being cast, as they are touch range and hardly end any fight, thus I think it would be more interesting to see them have their niche use, which I think is currently denied by the very low DCs.

~ Lladria Sethassiel ~ (Dead!) - ~ Siobhan Gray (Departed!)
~ Elspeth Lynndain (Dead!) - Noasheel Xephrates (Dead!)
~ Yachta - ~ Providence (Dead!)

Jagel

Re: Poison and Contagion

Post by Jagel » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:12 am

I guess we are bordering suggestions but ideas:

- change disease to varying degrees of 5% vulnurabilty to damage (types), penalties to saves, ab etc.
- make disease spread among nearby foes either through a “chain lightning”-like effect on casting, a proc when near a diseased char/npc or an area effect or pulse (could be tied to spell foci)
- proc the disease once every 5-10 rounds
- higher DCs

Poison
- choose streams of poison so you decide what abilities to hit
- greater immidiate effects
- higher DCs
- add a splash of negative or acid damage with foci

Save based magic is not in a good place pvp-wise but at least against mobs you can usually find a low save/weak critter to target

Beard Master Flex

Post by Beard Master Flex » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:51 pm

I think that's a good point and agree that as they presently are diseases and poisons are pretty much useless. The mushroom CON poison in the UD is the only thing remotely exciting I've encountered in the module; and that only at lower levels

There was an incredibly well done deconstruction of Poisons done not too long ago that received some accolades. I'd lump this into that category for an update being due should someone ever have the time to improve the system.

CosmicOrderV
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by CosmicOrderV » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:23 am

Yeah, i'm pretty sure this was all mentioned in the thread Beard Master Flex mentioned. It's no doubt on the to-do list. Just a matter of time.
Aodh Lazuli wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:22 pm
I, too, struggle to know what is written in books without first reading them.