Mechanics Information should always be on the Wiki

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

DangerDolphin

Mechanics Information should always be on the Wiki

Post by DangerDolphin » Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:44 pm

For example, Runecrafting is widely understood now by all players except new/casual ones. I've been here a little over a month and basically understand it now.

Not putting this information on the wiki just creates a larger gap between older and newer players, or people who have experienced friends to ask OOC.

Some of these systems are also quite complex with many nuances and pitfalls that can waste or weaken expensive items.

Likewise, basic information like "Smuggler NPCs you find are for pirate players" and "if you didn't take your totem at character creation you need to visit here" would be really helpful.

Mr_Rieper

Re: Mechanics Information should always be on the Wiki

Post by Mr_Rieper » Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:54 pm

This is a roleplaying server. Not an MMO.

If you want to spoil it for yourself or have your character automatically know things, that's on you.

Runecrafting is not essential to playing on Arelith. It was never intended to be essential. Putting all the mechanical information on the wiki defeats the point. Sometimes I think FOIG is taken too far, but in this case and many other cases, it is absolutely necessary.
CosmicOrderV wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 4:55 pm
Be the change you want to see, and shape the server because of it. Players can absolutely help keep their fellow players accountable.

Zavandar

Post by Zavandar » Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:09 pm

I agree that rune stuff should be on the wiki. I do not think that the smuggler npc should. Regarding totem, I think it should say that you must do it at lvl 1 AND that there is an npc (like it does with the 25 Druid bonus feat)

I'm generally pretty anti-FOIG when it comes to mechanics but I do believe that some things should be. besides, you really only have to find out once. I do think all things build/class related should be available on the wiki because of the big time investment that is levelling, and for making informed decisions on the build you want to play. For the most part, the wiki is good at this
Intelligence is too important

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by The Rambling Midget » Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:55 pm

DangerDolphin wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:44 pm
For example, Runecrafting is widely understood now by all players except new/casual ones. I've been here a little over a month and basically understand it now.

Not putting this information on the wiki just creates a larger gap between older and newer players, or people who have experienced friends to ask OOC.

Some of these systems are also quite complex with many nuances and pitfalls that can waste or weaken expensive items.

Likewise, basic information like "Smuggler NPCs you find are for pirate players" and "if you didn't take your totem at character creation you need to visit here" would be really helpful.
Which information, specifically, do you want to see added? Some of it, we won't add, because the staff has decided that it should remain vague or be discovered through play or experience, but a lot of old information isn't on there, because nobody asked for it directly. It's also nigh impossible for a "staff" as small as the wiki has to keep track of every page, so we rely on readers to point out the gaps.
The Beginner's Guide to Factions
New to Arelith? Read this!
This is not a single player game. -Mithreas
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. -Winston Churchill

DangerDolphin

Post by DangerDolphin » Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:25 pm

Mainly Runecrafting / Essence application mechanics.

I'm aware the staff decided to make it vague, but that was back when it was added I think 1-2 years ago. At that point I understand why they did so, as it wouldn't have been common knowledge and something fun to discover IC for crafters.

I'm also not looking for this information myself as I have it now (Via the pastebin link on Discord), I just think that everyone should have it as the mechanics are quite complex and easy to mess up in.

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:21 pm

i made that guide with the tag "FOIG" on it specifically so if anyone searched "arelith foig" in google it would come up, lmao

permanent never-erasing never-expiring pastebin.

Sea Shanties

Post by Sea Shanties » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:41 pm

The system is so complex I'd imagine it would overwhelm new players even if they did have all the info. While I'd prefer everything like that to be public knowledge myself (I think having to beg existing players for IG help is overvalued and leads to elitism and exclusion) I understand why it's made FOIG.

I think the biggest danger for new players is flying by the seat of their pants when investing crafting points along the way so when they get to a point where they would want to make runes or be useful in a faction they find out they totally screwed up. Anyone who knew how to invest the points can learn the rune system at any time but they really have to have built wisely to partake. There's a great crafting guide on the forum of course, maybe something newbie friendly or even strongly advising them to just bank their points until later on the wiki would be a help.

xanrael

Post by xanrael » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:09 pm

Mr_Rieper wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:54 pm
This is a roleplaying server. Not an MMO.

If you want to spoil it for yourself or have your character automatically know things, that's on you.

Runecrafting is not essential to playing on Arelith. It was never intended to be essential. Putting all the mechanical information on the wiki defeats the point. Sometimes I think FOIG is taken too far, but in this case and many other cases, it is absolutely necessary.
I think most FOIG stuff has more to do with player driven exploration and problem solving than anything related to roleplaying. You can roleplay about most anything, meta-knowledge or not, just like you can ask a buddy through a tell or Discord the answer if you don't want to involve IC-interactions with it if you don't know.

I think it's fine if Arelith wants to promote players problem solving the unknown, but I think it's unrelated to RP.

JubJub

Post by JubJub » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:46 pm

Well most of the essencing stuff has been taken care of ig, with a lot of the things you couldn't do like basin an item and then essence being allowed and warnings on other things.