Malar Temple (Forest of Despair)

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Morgy
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Malar Temple (Forest of Despair)

Post by Morgy » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:43 pm

On completing this dungeon you can exit using the portal in the final area. The portal takes you above the entrance of the temple onto a spawn point including the 'boss' priest and several other npcs. You typically spawn in the middle of them and as such cannot physically get passed them or hide using invisibility. The result is that anyone who isn't capable in melee gets butchered in moments.

This is not cool.. Can the exit portal be moved or the spawns?

Thanks.

Curve

Re: Malar Temple (Forest of Despair)

Post by Curve » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:47 pm

I like it. Things should be dangerous.

Morgy

Post by Morgy » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:50 pm

There's a reason there is a script to remove hostile npcs at area transitions.

Curve

Post by Curve » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:40 am

That’s cool and I get where your coming from. That is why I did not offer several ways for that to be avoided. You think it should be different, and I think it’s good as is. We just disagree.

Tarkus the dog

Post by Tarkus the dog » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:30 pm

I think it should teleport you to the actual portal in the area, and from there you can choose if you want to fight the Malar Priest again or leave the place.

The issue with the fact that the portal drops you on top of the boss is that:

1. This is the only portal that I know of that actually does that, all the other end of dungeon portals teleport you somewhere safe so a newer player might get the feeling that's always the case ( The orcs portal puts you back at the library, but that's not that big of a deal )
2. If you spawn on top of a group of enemies that don't let you kill the boss right away ( who drops WoF ), and there are archers on the side you aren't in a very good spot

However, if you managed to clear the temple and the boss at the end, the priest should be a joke. It's only an issue for the new players who assume they'll be back outside the forest, or something.