Writ Rewards - Need to find the bad ones!

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

Kuma
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Re: Writ Rewards - Need to find the bad ones!

Post by Kuma » Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:03 pm

oh hey this thread is active again, i'll repost my one since idk if it got spotted:

The Settlers

people frequently skip over the first objective (reach the first area of tollidor) by getting to the area another way. also, the manor frequently doesn't spawn enough enemies to make it possible to kill 5/5 people in there, and find only the boss.

i suggest replacing the 5/5 in the manor objective with kill 5/5 in the other ruin area so i don't have to lure crinti on horseback inside the manor.

i will also say that as the UD's largest writ reward, the fact it's accessible by a two-way portal smack dab in the middle of the dungeon and the Hub seems a bit much. only reason it's there, i imagine, is that the old areas they replaced had one too, but this was pre-writ. it could stand to be turned into a destination. it's perfectly walkable back to Andunor.

House Freth: Reference Information
House Claddath: Reference Information
"What's a heretic?": a guide to religious schism terminology

Irongron wrote:

4. No full screen images of the NWN gnome model (might frighten the children)

Cataclysm of Iron

Post by Cataclysm of Iron » Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:08 pm

Just to echo the thoughts about the Broke Tooth Tribe. I think the bulk of it is okay but challenging - and I absolutely love the area design, incidentally, one of the most compelling dungeons in the module that I've seen/remember - but the Matriarch is unreal. My character is a strong PvE class at Lv16 (bearing in mind the recommended level range is 9-16 - I don't think a party of six Lv9s would have the first hope of getting anywhere near completing this writ) and I think even if I'd got her one-on-one, I could've fought the matriarch 100 times and not won. She has every base covered (AB, AC, Dispels, Heals, Magic Offence) to a degree you'd expect low epics to find hard. I reckon rein her in to a more reasonable degree and up the rewards a touch and you've actually got a pretty balanced writ.

It is a shame if people are being wary of it though because as I say, the actual area design is so good!
Xerah wrote: People have a very weird possessive nature over a lot of things in Arelith.

Opustus

Post by Opustus » Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:33 pm

In the Skaldark questline, the Ooze one is very lacklustre. It's just for killing 6 regular mobs and 1 boss and it's just next to the main entrance. The ooze place is beautiful in its abundant slime, but the corpses there are notoriously difficult to loot, so maybe the degree of slime could be toned down in places?

Also, it may be an oversight, but all the Skaldark quests yield a ratio of 1:1 the immediate XP reward, while other quests yield only half; this leads to the quests being the most efficient means of levelling in the given range, encouraging the insipid loop of the same quests over and over again. It would be more consistent if these quests gave only half the reward in immediate XP like all others.
Characters: all poor babies suffering from neglect

Babylon System is the Vampire

Post by Babylon System is the Vampire » Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:24 pm

Goblin fortress short term needs a bump in spawns in the interior where the boss is (sorry forgot the name). I've not gotten enough the last 3 times I was there.

Long term, the entire dungeon could use an overall. For starters I would bump the entry archers by a fair amount, but instead of having them on the castle walls I would make the players go through a maze of barricades forcing them to take cover in tree lines from the archers line of sight as they approach. As for the rest, I would just give the non-secret part of the dungeon a complete buff. A level five fighter can coast through it only having to use a haste for the boss.

Babylon System is the Vampire

Post by Babylon System is the Vampire » Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:56 am

I'm always hesitant to say stuff like this, because easy is subjective to how well you know the mechanics of the game, but both the wharftown boys and the mound are way too easy for the rewards they give, especially toward the top end of the level range.

Wharf town boys has six chests anyone with a modest investment in open lock/disable trap can get, and a seventh that you need some skill or a pixie to get. The boss is a joke, with the random soldiers of Morghunn being more annoying to fight along the way more times then not.

The mound doesn't have as many chests (two easy, one hard to get to without a pixie), but the pay out is a little better at the end and it usually has a decent ore at the end as well (Ive seen mithril in there the last two times for example). This went from having a bit of a challenge with the dark nagas to them just becoming at best annoying after the death armor was removed, since the only real threat they pose is the ability drain which is fixed by a simple lesser restoration. I would just cap this one at level 12 though instead of boosting it, as it is a fun challenge at that level.

I say this after destroying both of these dungeons rather easily a few times over with both a two hander fighter/wm type and a wizard that doesn't have conj focus. Since most fighters have 4-5 more ac thanks to a shield, and most wizards have conj focus, I feel pretty confident that my analysis is spot on.

Tathkar Eisgrim

Post by Tathkar Eisgrim » Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:13 pm

Babylon System is the Vampire wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:56 am
I'm always hesitant to say stuff like this, because easy is subjective to how well you know the mechanics of the game, but both the wharftown boys and the mound are way too easy for the rewards they give, especially toward the top end of the level range.

Wharf town boys has six chests anyone with a modest investment in open lock/disable trap can get, and a seventh that you need some skill or a pixie to get. The boss is a joke, with the random soldiers of Morghunn being more annoying to fight along the way more times then not.

The mound doesn't have as many chests (two easy, one hard to get to without a pixie), but the pay out is a little better at the end and it usually has a decent ore at the end as well (Ive seen mithril in there the last two times for example). This went from having a bit of a challenge with the dark nagas to them just becoming at best annoying after the death armor was removed, since the only real threat they pose is the ability drain which is fixed by a simple lesser restoration. I would just cap this one at level 12 though instead of boosting it, as it is a fun challenge at that level.

I say this after destroying both of these dungeons rather easily a few times over with both a two hander fighter/wm type and a wizard that doesn't have conj focus. Since most fighters have 4-5 more ac thanks to a shield, and most wizards have conj focus, I feel pretty confident that my analysis is spot on.
I just went through Wharftown Boys as a 1H+Shield Fighter with a high crit build. The Morghunn soldiers & multiple Werewolves were extremely testing at the Boss on the two of us doing this. I really think *this* dungeon depends on party size, class disposition and gear and how the spawns play out. (Wharftown has long been a favourite place to visit -- and as a shortish dungeon -- I think is of a higher standard).

CrystalRL

Post by CrystalRL » Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:24 am

Beleagured Lumberjacks (Lv10-16 Guldorand writ) is a Kill X in Areas A, B, and C writ, and also kill the miniboss. The areas in particular are Northern Howling Pass, Druidic Stones, and Abandoned Grotto.

The miniboss you must kill is a mountain spirit. This creature has very high %immunity, and not just to physical damage. Using the +1 temp essence I had on hand was useless, as it ignored the acid damage. While it does low damage once it burns through its bolts, its bolts are pretty hefty.

Another creature I came across was an an axe-wielding orc in the northern Howling Pass. It had +27 ab. Needless to say, as a Ranger/Fighter, its crits were obliterating me even in Imp Expertise.

To top it off, wyverns are also part of the spawns in the area. I don't think a Lv16 can safely handle a wyvern. The only time I have survived contact with one was when someone else came by to rescue me.

This writ should probably be moved up to Lv16-20. Guldorand is essentially an epic level area now.

Void

Post by Void » Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:51 am

CrystalRL wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:24 am
To top it off, wyverns are also part of the spawns in the area. I don't think a Lv16 can safely handle a wyvern. The only time I have survived contact with one was when someone else came by to rescue me.
A wyvern can be handled by a mage or warlock, or someone with a summon. It depends on character's build a lot.
Another forum ban, here we go again.

chris a gogo

Post by chris a gogo » Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:10 pm

Wyverns are just like every mob spawn you can deal with them if you have good AC and reasonable AB.

Or you have summons to tank it, or you disable it with holds or stunning effects.

In truth the orcs are the hardest mobs in the area.

I would agree on raising the level of the writs a little but it's really not that difficult of an area apart from the orc "boss" that spawns there his ab is crazy for the level range and hits like a truck.

Void

Post by Void » Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:15 pm

chris a gogo wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:10 pm
Wyverns are just like every mob spawn you can deal with them if you have good AC and reasonable AB.
Also HP and damage output.
There are bunch of monsters that deal a lot of damage and can chip you to death even with natural 20s.

Speaking of which, another interesting example is clearing crystal caves and its wyvern boss. The wyvern is a joke for anyone who has ranged attack. Trying to face it in melee can be quite tough early on, because of bleeding damage and significant damage numbers.

Void

Post by Void » Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:01 pm

I feel that all courier writs are lacking something to make them interesting. Currently with specific character types, they can be finished with zero risk, and no-running restriction simply makes them t edious.

Full round trip from cordor to brog and then back takes 55 minutes, and during this time there's not much happening.

Cataclysm of Iron

Post by Cataclysm of Iron » Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:41 pm

Cataclysm of Iron wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:08 pm
Just to echo the thoughts about the Broke Tooth Tribe. I think the bulk of it is okay but challenging - and I absolutely love the area design, incidentally, one of the most compelling dungeons in the module that I've seen/remember - but the Matriarch is unreal. My character is a strong PvE class at Lv16 (bearing in mind the recommended level range is 9-16 - I don't think a party of six Lv9s would have the first hope of getting anywhere near completing this writ) and I think even if I'd got her one-on-one, I could've fought the matriarch 100 times and not won. She has every base covered (AB, AC, Dispels, Heals, Magic Offence) to a degree you'd expect low epics to find hard. I reckon rein her in to a more reasonable degree and up the rewards a touch and you've actually got a pretty balanced writ.

It is a shame if people are being wary of it though because as I say, the actual area design is so good!
Building on this but as I've recently pushed through the mid-high teens on the Surface, I've found the bosses of a lot of writs along this line, and quite frustrating. Granted I'm trying to solo, because of when I'm free to play, and I realise the balance of the server is around small parties rather than soloing, but still.

I'm finding almost all of the dungeons writs are pointing at (previously it was the Sibayad Orclands, Broke Tooth Tribe, more recently the Skull Crags Crypts and Mt Valtheran) are ones I can handle the rank and file of under some pressure, challenging and requiring resource investment but not unbeatable. But then the writ always requires you to beat the boss, and the boss is just untouchable. For these kinds of writs we're talking high-level spellcasting, damage immunities, biteback shields, 45+ AC, 35-40+ AB - they just don't seem beatable with a sub-epic character but moreover, I can't even kid myself they'd be easier in a party because I'm playing a Spellsword, right? My role in a party would be to buff up, turn on IE, and sit toe to toe with them while my party fire off DPS - and I'm getting shredded by these bosses, even one-on-one, in a matter of a few seconds.

In the before times, I'd just have shrugged and chalked it down to experience, and thought 'I guess fully clearing this place is aimed at low-mid epics rather than Lv19s', but I'm doing most of these writs at the top of their level range, so it rankles a little I guess? I'm not running a min-maxed optimised build nor am I tactically perfect by any stretch but my character's not exactly a scrub either, and for classes without access to summons I understand Spellswords tend to run pretty strong in PvE, so for me to have only been able to be approaching Lv20 and to have been able to complete nothing but Courier and Patrol writs on my own since about Lv16 seems like something is off? And as I say, the bosses are really the stickler, because I can't count how many writs I've abandoned with the first three objectives met, as a result of finding the boss, realising I'm not in with a hope of beating them and wouldn't be able to usefully contribute to a party effort to do so, and either dying or narrowly escaping.

I think a lot of the mid-high teens writs could really stand to have the bosses toned down to a level more in line with the Brown-Name Lieutenant Versions of their rank-and -file. Obviously a climactic boss fight at the end of a dungeon is what D&D is all about, and I wouldn't want to lose that entirely, but when the boss is like two or three tiers above the mooks it just feels like a gut punch - I feel like to survive the boss fight, I'd need to be at a level where the mooks were trivially easy. It doesn't sit quite right that you can be in minimal danger throughout a dungeon and then open a door and suddenly be in a fight that's flat unwinnable, especially when it's in an area where the module has given you OOC information via the writs system that you should be able to be competitive at your level.
Xerah wrote: People have a very weird possessive nature over a lot of things in Arelith.

Void

Post by Void » Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:23 pm

Bendir-->Cordor and Cordor-->Bendir courier routes offer same amount of gold, but different amount of xp. Not sure if intentional or not.

Hunter548

Post by Hunter548 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:10 pm

The Minmir Cyclops writ (One Eyed Man is King?)

:arrow: Almost all of the mobs in the area don't drop money/loot, so you're already behind pretty much every other writ, especially at this level range (By the time you can do this writ, you've been doing Sibayad tomb writs for three levels, which give both double the gold on completion and also have high spawn density and drop lots of money-loot)

:arrow: The spawn CR is all over the place - I was getting between 20 and 40 exp for mobs at level 15. This means, again, you're behind most other writs because you've got a huge subgradiant of risk/reward variance, while other places are a lot more consistent.

:arrow: A decent portion of the mobs are just frustratingly designed: Slimes with acid sheath, slow bolts, and paralysis bolts (Neither of which have any counterplay other than "Have touch AC so you get missed or be immune") and Rust Monsters

:arrow: The boss is a gigantic slab of HP with decent AC, and is not a slouch at all offensively. Trying to tank him at 48 AC was extremely rough. Combine with how long it takes to kill him, and the boss has a problem that was rampant in the old underdark: By the time you're appropriately able to handle him without spending disproportionate effort, the monsters in the rest of the area will be giving you 10-15 EXP a head and you probably should be moving on to somewhere else. He's part of a level 14-19 writ, so I'm assuming a level 17 character here.

Currently it's a 3500 reward writ. You could probably comfortably double or triple that, and the writ still wouldn't be as worth it as writs you can take elsewhere at the same level (or earlier).
UilliamNebel wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:24 pm
You're right. Participating in the forums was a mistake. Won't do this again.
Anime Sword Fighter wrote: I have seen far too many miniskirt anime slave girls.

Hunter548

Post by Hunter548 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:40 pm

Sorry for the double-post

Border Reavers writ (The Border Clan)

:arrow: The area is a little cramped and janky; the gatehouse at the entrance, especially, is difficult to navigate through without lots of manual camera movement, which makes fighting a spawn inside it frustrating. The hallways inside the area make it difficult to put more than two melee fighters in a party without blocking someone off from a fight. The doors used in the hak tileset for the area also have persistent hitboxes after you open them, meaning it's very easy to accidentally close a door which adds to the problem

:arrow: This is tied into the above, but splitting it off because it's much more important. Some of the locked exterior doors are bashable. If they're bashed, when the exterior area resets the door will respawn, but won't be bashable again. I'm unsure if there are keys you're meant to be able to find to progress through the area, or if they doors can be picked after they've been bashed, but if neither is true then a party that lacks someone to pick the locks doing this dungeon locks any other parties out of completing the dungeon/writ until reset.

:arrow: Because the interior area is a massive single area, it's extremely easy for one party to come into the dungeon after another, with no indication that this is what's happening until they're quite a ways into the dungeon. This exacerbates the above problem, because it makes it more likely that they won't encounter whatever spawn carries the hypothetical key that drops and opens other exterior doors, and also may lead them to believe they're meant to bash said doors rather than loot a key off a dead miniboss.

:arrow: The writ is intended for a level 15-20 party, judging by the writ's range. However, the spawns inside the dungeon appear to have a CR appropriate for a level 16-18 party, and likely will fall off in terms of appropriate EXP for a party at the higher end of this range (I'm basing this on a party of three level 16-18 characters getting 25 exp per monster). Their CR could probably stand to be raised without their stats being adjusted

:arrow: The jailer miniboss, in contrast to above, is extremely overtuned for the area. He's got 20 more ab than the filler mobs (And roughly on par with high-epic lowerdark spawns/bosses), and any party of appropriate level for the filler spawns will absolutely not be able to handle him because of his high AB combined with his respectable damage (Outside of coordination of character builds that only really happens in parties arranged at creation). His AB could probably safely be dropped by 8-10, and still be a threat to many parties at this level.

Edit: Having run through the dungeon again, I think the writ would best be served by raising the level to 17-20 rather than the current 15-20, and raising the CR of mobs across the board to 22 or so. The surface server has long lacked early epic dungeons, and the Border Reavers' Keep could be a good one if EXP was commiserate to, say, Avernus, Orclands, etc.

Running through again did add one other point for the area:

:arrow: The Marillith model used in the dungeon probably isn't PG13. I'm indifferent, but others might feel differently. At the very least I could see people using it as a "But this is allowed why isn't public sexy elven fun times?" sort of justification
UilliamNebel wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:24 pm
You're right. Participating in the forums was a mistake. Won't do this again.
Anime Sword Fighter wrote: I have seen far too many miniskirt anime slave girls.

Deryliss

Post by Deryliss » Thu May 07, 2020 10:52 am

This is a fantastic thread. I have only recently returned to Arelith, and I have taken a different leveling path than I usually did (Cordor > Bendir > Sibayad rather than Skal > Brog/Guldorand), and so I've been exposed to a lot of new writs that are still fresh in my memory.

There are two writs in this adventure that stand out above all others as brutal exercises in frustration: Bugging the Bugbears (Bendir) and the Tomb of the First King (Sibayad)

Bugging the Bugbears requires you to kill a quota of specifically named mobs, among them Bugbear Shamans and Bugbear Heroes. The issue is that both these spawns are rare-ish in the Crystal Caves, and seem to rarely spawn together as if they compete with each other for spawn rights at certain party levels. This means Bugging the Bugbears can take a largely random amount of time, usually in the range of several hours. One member of our group had to run the Crystal Caves nearly a dozen times before fulfilling the writ criteria.

Suggestion: Relax the restrictions on shaman and hero. Something like 'kill 15/20 bugbears in the caves + 1 shaman + 1 hero' would preserve the spirit of the writ while making the time requirement appropriate for the rewards, I think.

The Tomb of the First King is a pretty fun writ. The tomb is appropriately themed, with traps that are annoying enough to lead to good IC stories, while not being so deadly as to completely obliterate you... with one, glaring, atrocious exception. That Sand Golem gauntlet run is the kind of scenario that works great in tabletop RP with a DM that makes the experience gripping and dramatic while also carefully tuning he variables to ensure it's not an immediate death trap. In Arelith, a module for an old game, played online with some latency, and without the careful guiding hand of a live DM to manage the situation, it just turned into a silly stone wall that killed my group over and over again as something always went wrong.
One time a Sand Golem somehow blocked the exit door before the group could get through. Another time, one of the sand golems blocked one of the 'safe' paths, forcing us to walk around it and step into a slow trap (which might as well be finger of death in that scenario). Most vexing were the deaths caused by NWN's whimsical pathing AI, which tries to give the Sand Golems a wide berth at all costs, even if it means jumping face-first into an instant death trap.

Suggestion: I would honestly just remove the entire segment, but if I had to keep it, I would reduce the speed of the Sand Golems a bit more, ease up on the Slow trap in betwen the safe segments, and ESPECIALLY remove the two sand golem spawns at the very end of the room. Those are the ones that will randomly wander in and block the safe way out and there is literally nothing that can be done about them if they do so.

Apologies for the lengthy writing. I suppose it's a sign of just how much these two writs made a negative impression upon me.
Marijani, Priestess of Istishia

CrystalRL

Post by CrystalRL » Fri May 15, 2020 9:06 pm

The Demonologists (4-7) writ in Skaljard doesn't state anywhere that you will need a rogue, but the entrance is behind a locked door that can't be bashed. The lock should be removed, or some other way to unlock the door provided.

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:32 am

The lvl 4-8 writ in Skaldrak called Myrk Faelinn gives 3k instant exp. to a lvl 4 character that can pick it again tomorrow before reaching 8. That writ alone makes leveling in Skal from 4 to 9 too short time.

Myconids writ also gives 3k exp instant (Minotaurs are almost same level of a writ, and about as hard to get to and doesnt give even gives half of that).

There are no reasons to do Troglytes, Gnolls, Gathering Tribes, harpies or pretty much any of the early-mid writs that are not in the Skaldark. They all give 30%-50% of the reward of the Skaldark writs and are for the same level range.
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:32 am

ReverentBlade wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:02 pm
"The Goblin Town" writ is a pretty brutal slog, with hard hitting sneak attack mobs, dispelling mages, accurate snipers in inaccessible places, and a boss with unusually high AC and that summons very powerful mummies that can pummel an ancient elemental. Its also a very long hike to get to and the dungeon itself is expansive.

Both its level bracket, xp, and gold rewards might be looked at.
I'm going to echo this. The last area in particular is brutal. The open layout & frequency of the spawns make it fairly easy to end up with 3 full spawns attacking you, often completely trapping you in place. The mage dispels are also extremely effective, often stripping all of my buffs, which is very deadly when you're surrounded by 10+ enemies - a situation I found myself in more than once. I did make it to the boss, and whittled her down to Near Death (twice!), only to get fully dispelled by a greater dispel and killed before I could buff back up.

The resetting "gotcha" trap leading up to the boss' platform (which hit me for 96 damage & stun) was also... ugh. I've got very little desire to wade back through the large areas to complete the final objective.

Please take this feedback with a grain of salt, as I currently have a lot to spare.

Edit: For reference, The Goblin Town is a level 11-18 writ. I was level 15 when I attempted it. I had, earlier, completed the writ for Morguhn's Lair (a level 10-17 writ) without much trouble. Goblin Town is a whole order of magnitude more difficult, and should probably be bumped up in writ level at the least.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

Party in the forest at midnight

Post by Party in the forest at midnight » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:17 am

Yeah, I actually just warned a bunch of friends who are leveling characters about this dungeon. I just did Goblin Town for the first time at level 13. The mages spam dispels over and over, which doesn't couple well with the difficulty of the other enemies and how hard they hit. The final boss imploded my elemental which was not fun. The final treasure chest has a really strong trap on the ground outside of it. I ran towards it with my elemental, both of us triggered it at the same time, it did 200 damage and corpsed me instantly. Could that trap strength be lowered?

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:04 am

After the change to Weave Eaters and removal of +5 weapon scrolls access, I think the Masters of Monsters in Skal is very very difficult and the reward is bad. In fact, I think this dungeon is arguably same difficulty (and about as long of a walk to reach) as the Myconids now (and almost the same level range, so it makes sense) but the reward is about half of the Myconids.
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

Skarain

Post by Skarain » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:13 pm

The writ - Shadowplane: The Cloaker Embassy (level 13-25).

When entering the Embassy from Cordor, almost always there has been only 3x Cloakers in total, while the Writ requires 4x for completion.

Results in waiting outside for the embassy to respawn again before you may proceed.

Dalenger
Location: 422nd layer of the abyss, sacraficing some poor sap to Yeenoghu

Post by Dalenger » Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:32 pm

I wouldn't call this writ "broken", but the Sewer Rats writ has the frequent frustration of not enough enemies spawning to satisfy the "kill 10" requirement. I'd give it a 50/50 shot of there being enough enemies, the rest of the time you're liable to only meet 7. I'd recommend lowering that number to 5, and then to offset add "kill 5 enemies in the underpassage" as a third requirement.
DM Void wrote: Don't be a salty idiot and everything will be fine.

Inordinate
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Inordinate » Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:59 pm

Dalenger wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:32 pm
I wouldn't call this writ "broken", but the Sewer Rats writ has the frequent frustration of not enough enemies spawning to satisfy the "kill 10" requirement. I'd give it a 50/50 shot of there being enough enemies, the rest of the time you're liable to only meet 7. I'd recommend lowering that number to 5, and then to offset add "kill 5 enemies in the underpassage" as a third requirement.
I've noticed this happening with the Slavers Tower and the Crinti temple part of those particular writs, as well, with the Tower being a large area only having one spawn under the requirement and the temple just spawning the priestess and only the priestess.
If need there comes to shelter my ship on the flood;
The wind I calm upon the waves, and the sea I put to sleep

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:18 pm

I visited the Viper Temple for the first time since its rework (stealth kudos: both area and enemy design are awesome, love it!) in an attempt to wrap up my last pre-epic writ, The Viper's Bite. I have to say, I have trouble imagining any pre-epic party completing the place. I was level 21 with a ranger/monk build that typically punches above its level in melee combat, but every single spawn was requiring Maximum Effort, and I eventually retreated due to running low on supplies before even starting on the second objective.

I honestly think this one should just be removed as a writ, rather than dropping the difficulty.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain