New Item Concerns!

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead
Server Owner/Creative Lead

Re: New Item Concerns!

Post by Irongron » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:13 pm

Scylon wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:05 pm
Irongron wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:27 pm
I honestly didn't see an issue with single stack dispel items, though I just checked the module and it seems there are some far older 'Anti-Magic' bolts/arrows, with lesser breach in the matrix, which I presumed were those being mentioned above, these along with the relatively common 'Gems of Nullification' (Mord item) were both in the matrix for a great many years I think, and with the former appearing in relatively large stacks. These are not a response to the update, but possibly more noticeable due to their increased utility.
I don't think gems were ever in question, as they are (from my understanding) truly rare. This is likely why I have never really seen them brought up.

What has been discussed at length is the addition of the rods, which completely undo the changes to UMD/Lore and the (from everyone perspective at least) the appearance of all these anti mage items that don't seem like they will be hard to acquire in large numbers.
Gems are about 5 times more common than disjuncion rods, though I agree they aren't an issue. With single stack disjunction items being removed due to a bug, all that is really left Breaching arrows in large stacks. Now I can see that these have been in the module for probably the last ten years I'm not so convinced they are an issue, but with the latest update, perhaps?

vaclavc

Post by vaclavc » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:21 pm

Irongron wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:13 pm
Gems are about 5 times more common than disjuncion rods, though I agree they aren't an issue. With single stack disjunction items being removed due to a bug, all that is really left Breaching arrows in large stacks. Now I can see that these have been in the module for probably the last ten years I'm not so convinced they are an issue, but with the latest update, perhaps?
True. Antimagic bolts with lesser spell breach on hit have been present for some years, they dropped in stacks of two, and quite frequently in certain areas.
-V-
Retired characters: Thazmudin; Cyrianthir; Zalastrien; Nebuzirah; Qaenuhir; Toruvilen Sivolun; Vaeluzir.

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:34 pm

Breach effects only remove specific buffs. High CL Disjunction will roll vs ALL spells you have active. There's a gigantic difference between the two.
:)

Anomandaris

Post by Anomandaris » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:27 am

I’m just confused why we’re going through all this to end up at a similar place? It’s kind of what I feared when the UMD change hit. I play two mages and I was very worried what would hit to balance the UMd change. I was worried all the sudden everyone would be walking around with ammo or some on hit dispel modifier to weapons.

People characterize it as nuclear counters, it’s an apt description. Everyone is equal, not because of each unique play style and class is balanced, but because each one has a big bomb they can drop to win if they get it off first. It runs the risk of making pvp less intelligent and diverse.

I feel like we’re at a doctors office for a physical and being force fed medication we don’t need... because we aren’t sick and didn’t ask for it. I’m wondering, why..?

All in all it’s not the end of the world for me, I love
NWN and playing Arelith, I’m not gonna rage quit. I liked some of the other changes too! But when “most” of your community is overtly opposing what you’re doing and making often cogent arguments as to why, roll it back, don’t implement something else crazy to make your original concept work. There’s no shame in making mistakes, only it sticking by them as the right decision. That’s just digging a bigger hole, alienating the player base and not actually solving the problem.

FWIW if the server focused on net new content and curating dynamic storytelling experiences instead of messing about with mechanics, I think the overall joy of the player base would skyrocket. It’s safer, more fun and far less controversial.

Basically, use a scalpel or a file, not a hammer or cleaver when it comes to balance or you’ll over correct.