Heavy Flail vs Greatsword vs Halberd vs Gaxe

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

malcolm_mountainslayer

Heavy Flail vs Greatsword vs Halberd vs Gaxe

Post by malcolm_mountainslayer » Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:43 am

I decided to take a quick look two handed weapons again in the announcements again.

Why is a heavy flail 3d6 19-20 crit range vs a grestsword 2d6 19-20.

Yes i read the concern when a flail with 20 x2 crit range will always suck compared to a better crit weapon (not really if fighting undead and feats apply to multiple weapons so you don't have to marry the thing) but why make flail same crit range with extra d6? We hate greatswords that much? (Falchion should also be exotic as its on same tier as scythe)

To further emphasize the problem of making greatsword/greataxes further obsolete (if the special trident didnt do that already) halberds now are on par damage and crit wise with Gsword/axe except they ALSO are slashing piercing weapons. So besides doing same damage and crits, they also have flexible damage for DR purposes along with spells like holy avenger or bladethirst being able to stack damage with masterky damask where Gaxe/swords can not do that because only one damage type.

Scraps

Re: Heavy Flail vs Greatsword vs Halberd vs Gaxe

Post by Scraps » Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:17 am

Heavy Flail is slated to be 3d6 x2, not 3d619-20x2

Falchion is martial in the same way Scimitar and Rapier are martial.

Halberd still sits below Great Axe and Greatsword in damage, slightly, but it's there. It was always on par crit wise with the weapons, nothing's changed on that front. In terms of defeating Damage Reduction and Damage Immunity it'll have an advantage. In terms of defeating specific AC it'll have a disadvantage.

For the purpose of player Damage Immunity, Halberd will have a slight advantage when fighting Strength Rangers, Rogue Leather wearers, Two-handed Builds. Basically any build that's forced to lose out on a Shield while still keep access to their Slashing immunity.

Or you could y'know, just use the maul for a 2d6x3 that takes advantage of the popularity of Spell Resist helms.

On the topic of the Heavy Flail, it was never originally a x2 crit range weapon. That's something that's changed as of this update.

But yes, ideally martial/exotic weapons that are x2 SHOULD have higher base damage. -Unless they've already got Monk UBAB. Having a weapon deals the same or lower damage as equivalent weapons, while having 50% (or 33%) the crit range of other weapons is a joke.
Last edited by Scraps on Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:19 am

malcolm_mountainslayer wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:43 am
along with spells like holy avenger or bladethirst being able to stack damage with masterky damask where Gaxe/swords can not do that because only one damage type.
This is not the case in EE. The damage granted by these spells will not stack with damask damage.

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:33 am

Yeah, I've tested that personally as well. If it worked in vanilla, it no longer works in EE.

malcolm_mountainslayer

Post by malcolm_mountainslayer » Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:57 pm

Good to know about damage not stacking, the announcements sections said 19-20 crot range for heavy flail, I swear lol.

I guess halberds are fine if damage doesnt stack (not huge end of world).

I still think falchion is a problem. The same way Scimitars are always better than long swords.

Also a 18-20 crit weapon equivelant of to a x4 crit weapon (its why scythe and falchion are both martial in pathfinder which i disagree with for not being exotics)

Like if a 19-20 x 2 weapon = 20 x 3 weapon
Then a 20x 4 weapon = 18 x 20 x2 weapon.

We balanced scimitars by adding moonblades in giving bastard swords flexible one/two hand use. If non orogs had a chance at some cool unique greatsword (maybe greatswords only followerbof Torm can make for an example, can even give great axe similar action) then I think it bebless of an issues but falchion are currently top two hand martial.

Which i guess is partislly irrelevant because if one wants two hand feats workint with a shield they need exotic proficiency anyways for a bastsrd sword so most flexible fighters will have exotic.

Scraps

Post by Scraps » Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:13 pm

Yeah, the original had some typos IIRC. Like the shortbow having 19-20x2 crits, and a few other ones.

The table on page 18 of the updates I think is up to date.