please let gulderand come back

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Orian_666

Re: please let gulderand come back

Post by Orian_666 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:57 pm

Nitro wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:46 pm
I mention this here because part of the new city is the Elven Quarter. I've neve really felt Arelith catered for the 'city elf' and I think this addition well worthile.

The important part - This quarter of the city is governed by Myon, and has direct portal access for Elven citizens between the two. Myon itself will be reworked afterwards with one of the new tilesets, but will be SMALLER - and while still protected by the Mythal the bulk of Elven civilisation (and RP) on Arelith will not longer take place in exclusion.
Irongron wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:58 pm
The Elven District will have a wealth of such content, including temples, houses, beautiful tavern, and so much else, and it really IS Myon.
Irongron wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:49 am
I can't go into details of the surrounding narrative, or why there is an Elven quarter in the city, but there is a very good reason.

But this is just one corner of a city, which itself is going to be a nation.

The existing Logging Camp is not being replaced, and will indeed remain, as a logging camp at the southern end of the Guldorand. If players want to continue that RP without being dragged into city politics that option will be there. This 'nation' will contain a number of other places the elected leaders of the city don't have control over, including Soulhaven, and some scattered farms, and the largely lawless areas that can exist in any city.

I'm well aware of how the situation has evolved between the two settlements, and its fine if that hostility continues, it may even add to the atmosphere. But players are not NPCs. Elves from across Faerun will be migrating there, but Myon too, is not being removed so much can change in terms of governance.

I would just advise waiting for the actual city, which is still a long way off, and reacting IC to developments in game, not here on the forum.
All in the same thread: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=24166
Okay thanks for that, that clears up a lot.

So Myon, by the looks of those posts, will have pretty much full control over the Elven Quarter, which is fine imo.

"But this is just one corner of a city, which itself is going to be a nation." this tells me that even though the Elven Section is there that at the end of the day the overall area is still Guldorand but at least now it's clear that the Elves will have a large hand in the politics regardless of who is "In Charge" of the nation as a whole, but it's still Guldorand regardless of that.
That plus it absolutely makes it sound more like I said it, a small pseudo settlement within a larger settlement and not at all a surface Andunor.

Most importantly there's no reason, yet, to believe that the, lets continue to call it Mayor for convenience sake, Mayor of this Guldorand Nation will have zero governance powers over the Elven Quarter. Myon has control over it that's confirmed, but the Mayor might have some level of control over it too, it is inside their "Guldorand" at the end of the day so it may be the case.

Ultimately though none of this suggests to me why it shouldn't continue to be called Guldorand, lol. There may be an Elven Quarter in it under Myon rule, but it's still the nation known as "Guldorand" as per the original plans.

I do appreciate you hunting down those posts for me though, it confirms a lot of stuff i've heard that had no prior confirmation, so thanks :)

Orian_666

Post by Orian_666 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:11 pm

Echohawk wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:03 pm
Orian_666 wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:11 pm
I don't see why anyone would have a problem with it still being called Guldorand.
So... you "know" it won't be called Guldorand just because you know? Mind telling us how you know this or the specific reason it won't be called Guldorand or why it shouldn't be? Because the rest of the post didn't answer that at all, it was just why you personally dislike Guldorand. Which wasn't what I was asking at all, realistically the place should be called Guldorand because it's the nation of Guldorand.
As for Irongron himself, who you seem to claim already intends for it not to be "Guldorand" by the looks of it, he still refers to it as Guldorand, even in this very thread... so.. yea.

Also just to reclarify; "But this is just one corner of a city, which itself is going to be a nation." - Irongron on the Elven Quarter. It's not going to be "some tiny corner" as you said, but there's absolutely nothing at all to suggest it's pretty much a half and half like you claim. "it's not two separate cities but a city instead divided into two."

Your response is telling me you have a problem with it being called Guldorand (which it is still, according to Irongrons posts) not because of any IG or IC reasons, but because you don't like Guldorand and some of the players in it? Is that correct?
Last edited by Orian_666 on Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xarge VI

Post by Xarge VI » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:28 pm

I bet there are a lot of factions interested in taking control over the new city and its marvels, It will be an exciting time to see who will end up on top.

Personally I hope it will not be called Guldorand, for one simple reason:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpnG044XzIo

Anime Sword Fighter

Post by Anime Sword Fighter » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:33 pm

I certainly appreciate you detailing your frustration, Echohawk, as I'm not savvy to the IG climate. Your insistence certainly makes sense given your post, however I still don't really see much wrong with the whole thing being called Guldorand. I think it would be cool if, as it is described in your post an Andunor-style coalition city between the districts, if one of them was called New Guldorand.

I still don't see a problem with the whole nation being called Guldorand, as the borders historically IG have spread beyond just the logging town, right? I recall those lines of flags separating the Bendir/Guldorand border at the base of the Skull Crags, not sure if they're still there or for how long they were there.

Given that we all are still just guessing at things though until it is finally implemented... this conversation probably has a limit to its usefulness somewhere. I'd think it'd be cool if it is the coalition government if there were a third district. One of old Guldorand people, one of Myon, and one of something new. Though the population might be stretched thin at that point.

Of course I'm also fine if there is a single PC ruler like in Cordor. Honestly I just want to see the city! It's so exciting!

Zavandar

Post by Zavandar » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:37 pm

i actually don't really get why it's called new guldorand aside from the fact it'd be populated by guld's refugees

i could be missing something (honestly i probably am) but what does it actually have to do w/ guld beyond the aforementioned reason?
Intelligence is too important

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:39 pm

A few points

1) the name of Hack City has not been decided yet as far as I know.
2) I believe the issue has been answered and this thread has more or less run it's purpose.
3) Please can we remain civil.

Locking this thread.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

Queen Titania
Community Manager
Community Manager

Post by Queen Titania » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:05 am

To add on with Grumpy.

1: We should always, always not state direct things in the forum. Those should go straight to us. Always. This always stirs the pot and often makes things worse. (Sometimes meaningful discourse can be found, but more often than not it's just the sort of thing to lead to what happened, a locked thread.)
2: If people don't take conflict and defeat seriously, we have tools that we can use to change that, within the narrative we flow and/or more punishing options, as well asways to reward those who do RP both loss and defeat adequately.

And in terms of the update, take a wait and see approach. Speculate about the teasing, but let's not over-react until it comes.
Please don't feed my sister.