Races

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Nitro

Re: Races

Post by Nitro » Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:48 pm

JubJub wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:09 pm
Wuthering wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:55 pm
I think the personal issue I have with special races is you are usually the only one around. It's not likely we'll see a community of minotaurs so if you're playing one you're basically a freak show or loner among other races for whatever reason. This may appeal to some people and that's totally cool.. I wouldn't argue for taking them away.. but when cashing an award I'd really also like the option to be able to play a human or hin with a special gift like being able to scry or teleport on a non-caster or an immunity to poison or a huge bonus to one skill. Seems to me there would be dozens or hundreds of possibilities there..
Like with what happened with dragons, there is suddenly a lot of them, but then in a few months after the coolness factor wears off most have vanished.
No what actually happened was that less dragon requests were granted because the server at one point had 6 different active dragon PC's at the same time, the saturation at that point was a bit ridiculous.

Quidix
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Quidix » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:03 pm

In my heart I think all awards should be pure RP flavour, and a way to manage the supply of what should be rare concepts.

That said, this server has a long history of granting many powerful awards - I personally dislike the thought of all the incredibly powerful grandfathered concepts that exist on the servers already: vampires, dragons and the double-bard song just to mention the most commonly known (and there are probably many more less known, but still very powerful, examples).

Where does this bring me? If there's an active adjustments to old characters to bring them 'back to normal' in terms of power (at least in cases where it is well-known / reported), then I'm all in for the pure-RP version. However, without such adjustments, this change would just be a form of grandfathering process disadvantaging new-ish players that never get the chance to do the same.

Given this history and that I think such adjustments are unlikely, I believe awards should still confer some small-ish mechanical perks - otherwise the gap 'lucky veterans' and new players is simply too big.

TLDR: Prefer RP flavour, but then need to avoid grandfathering issue. So practically, some level of mechanical benefit should likely remain

NauVaseline

Post by NauVaseline » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:48 pm

CptJonas wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:20 pm
Grind...we are talking about low rewards...everyone can get small or medium award...

And as was said...you are allready mechanically inferior to high reward races so whats different in giving something that everyone can get to lover that Gap? What would esencialy make those high reward races less about powa and more abou RP...
To clarify, I do not agree that the rewards I've suggested should be minor awards. They should definitely be major.