Intimidate for other classes

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Lilja_91

Re: Intimidate for other classes

Post by Lilja_91 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:17 am

NegInfinity wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:45 am
Lilja_91 wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:19 pm
Well, personally; I too argued against paladins getting intimidate. As it stands (since fighters already have it) I am suggesting that RDDs get intimidate as it fits the class very well.
They're kinda focused on advancing their dragon transformation and not on bullying folks about. There are also different kinds of dragons, so while Intimidate might make sense for chromatic dragon disciple, it doesn't make sense for a metallic one.
Except, all dragon types are known for their inherent fear aura from being dragons. In this case it's not just about bullying but the inherent intimidation factor of the class. If we are going to make situational arguments for that we should remove intimidate from fighter because "not all fighters are busy bullying people and might just be knights or retainers".

Void

Post by Void » Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:42 am

Lilja_91 wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:17 am
Except, all dragon types are known for their inherent fear aura from being dragons.
Except intimidation is a a learned skill of threatening people with words and body language, and RDD is not a dragon, but someone who wish they were one.

A dragon does not need such skill, because most people find it terrifying by default, so it doesn't spend ages trying to scare people into obedience more efficiently. It is born terrifying.
Lilja_91 wrote:
not all fighters are busy bullying people and
"You're new here, aintcha, kid? Well, welcome to the training yard. This here is a blacksmith, that one over there looking holy is some sort of priest ready to patch you up so you won't bleed out, and so on. The grub's over there, by the way. Now, here are the trainers. This guy's Cliff, he ain't much in strength, but could give you pointers on how to make someone soil their pants with just few threats.... oh, not interested, eh? I see. You're one of those, all noble and high and mighty. Eh, don't give me that look, kid I don't give a hoot. For all I know you paid the fee, didn't stab anyone yet, and the rest isn't my problem. Let's go to the ring and I'll show you how to knock a fella down..."
Another forum ban, here we go again.

Lilja_91

Post by Lilja_91 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:28 am

NegInfinity wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:42 am
Lilja_91 wrote:
Except, all dragon types are known for their inherent fear aura from being dragons.
Except intimidation is a a learned skill of threatening people with words and body language, and RDD is not a dragon, but someone who wish they were one.

A dragon does not need such skill, because most people find it terrifying by default, so it doesn't spend ages trying to scare people into obedience more efficiently. It is born terrifying.
Lilja_91 wrote:
not all fighters are busy bullying people and
"You're new here, aintcha, kid? Well, welcome to the training yard. This here is a blacksmith, that one over there looking holy is some sort of priest ready to patch you up so you won't bleed out, and so on. The grub's over there, by the way. Now, here are the trainers. This guy's Cliff, he ain't much in strength, but could give you pointers on how to make someone soil their pants with just few threats.... oh, not interested, eh? I see. You're one of those, all noble and high and mighty. Eh, don't give me that look, kid I don't give a hoot. For all I know you paid the fee, didn't stab anyone yet, and the rest isn't my problem. Let's go to the ring and I'll show you how to knock a fella down..."
To the first point; Considering the path of Discipleship is typically about emulating or becoming draconic I think practicing intimidation is completely within the flavor of the class. You might not have the inherent draconic fear factor but you sure as hell want to be as intimidating as one.

Secondly, while your excerpt is nice I am not sure what you are trying to have said with it.

Void

Post by Void » Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:31 pm

Lilja_91 wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:28 am
To the first point; Considering the path of Discipleship is typically about emulating or becoming draconic I think practicing intimidation is completely within the flavor of the class. You might not have the inherent draconic fear factor but you sure as hell want to be as intimidating as one.
Dragons don't practice intimidation, so disciple would aim at getting frightful presence and being scary by default. Intimidation requires you to talk to people.

If you asked for frightful presence for disciples, I'd understand it. Intimidation doesn't quite fit. On other hand I'd argue that anyone with frightful presence should be banned from entering any city.

At least that's the way I see it.
Lilja_91 wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:28 am
Secondly, while your excerpt is nice I am not sure what you are trying to have said with it.
"The lesson is available, and that's why it is a class skills. However you do not have to take it".
Another forum ban, here we go again.

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:42 pm

This debate about why CLASS X should or should not have SKILL Y is becoming pretty pedantic.

Lilja_91

Post by Lilja_91 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:57 pm

Nitro wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:42 pm
This debate about why CLASS X should or should not have SKILL Y is becoming pretty pedantic.
Agreed.

versus

Post by versus » Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:24 pm

It makes sense for more classes to have Intimidate: it's not a skill that requires a degree of job-specific training, like Spellcraft.

And maybe if they had access to it, there wouldn't be a reason for the Knight's Fear ability to allow the use of Persuade instead of Intimidate. "What can I say that would cause you to panic?"

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:58 pm

versus wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:24 pm
It makes sense for more classes to have Intimidate: it's not a skill that requires a degree of job-specific training, like Spellcraft.
You could argue the same about discipline and pretty much anything, except very few skills. That's why intimidate is not locked out for any class.
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

versus

Post by versus » Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:36 am

I don't know about all that. Discipline in this context isn't the kind of discipline it takes to do all your homework and get your assignments in on time. It's the ability to defend against special martial attacks, which suggests you're actually good at fighting, ergo warrior class.

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:59 pm

versus wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:36 am
I don't know about all that. Discipline in this context isn't the kind of discipline it takes to do all your homework and get your assignments in on time. It's the ability to defend against special martial attacks, which suggests you're actually good at fighting, ergo warrior class.
Yes exactly, and if you're not a warrior class you can still cross-class it, you're not locked out entirely. From balance perspective, sure, RDD could use intimidate so they can take all PDK lvls early (which, they dont have to and it wouldnt hurt the build) but other than that, it does NOTHING and can be crossclassed for RP purpose. I do not see a problem here.
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

Lilja_91

Post by Lilja_91 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:40 pm

AstralUniverse wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:59 pm
versus wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:36 am
Yes exactly, and if you're not a warrior class you can still cross-class it, you're not locked out entirely. From balance perspective, sure, RDD could use intimidate so they can take all PDK lvls early (which, they dont have to and it wouldnt hurt the build) but other than that, it does NOTHING and can be crossclassed for RP purpose. I do not see a problem here.
It does make barbarian rdd harder to pull off. Which was my issue.