Armored Ogres in Skaljard

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Good Character

Armored Ogres in Skaljard

Post by Good Character » Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:09 am

I know this has been touched on in the Discord before, but thought I give it its own thread.

Armored Ogres are ridiculously strong for the area they're in (and likely for the entirety of Skaljard). They have an AC between 31~33, max AB of 23, APR of 3, and noticeably high damage. They can easily solo you, but coupled with a dispel and spell-spamming ogre and knockdown-spamming ogres makes it a cringeworthy experience.

To sadly top it off, it might be confirmation bias but they also seem to spawn more now than ever.

They should be removed entirely from Skaljard, or placed into a new dungeon.

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Re: Armored Ogres in Skaljard

Post by MissEvelyn » Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:48 am

I would hope that Armored Ogres don't spawn in Skaljard, as that would be catastrophic for everyone if they suddenly appeared in the middle of the village.

As for Armored Ogres on Skal, they are the only monsters that actually make Skal a savage land, as it's presented to be. Not even the stealthy snow leopards provide enough of a challenge in comparison.

Good Character

Post by Good Character » Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:21 am

Oops. Definitely Skal, not Skaljard.

Taking that route to represent a "savage land" doesn't make any sense at all from a mechanical or aesthetic/roleplay viewpoint.

Mechanically, it's a single (though many populated) mob that's powerful. It's just powerful. Nothing about it demonstrates its possible savage nature, aside from it attacking you on sight.

Aesthetically, it's technically just another ogre, except it's armored. If anything, that's the polar opposite of savagery since, based on its model, it's adopting equipment (e.g. breastplate) more related to civilization. Furthermore, the entire lore behind that area is also the opposite of savagery - tribes banding together to serve a greater power, the artificers.

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:05 am

I like the armored ogres. They spawn in a particular place, and they can be defeated with good skill and tactical decisions.

I get the frustration, but I also love that they make you sweat when you see one spawn - doubly so if you're truly unlucky & get 2.

facesmash

Post by facesmash » Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:12 am

They're strong, but they dont need to be nerfed or removed. They can be overcome pretty easily if you're with a party and they know how to focus fire them down. Honestly the difficulty is why that area is so fun compared to the rest of skal which is a steamroll. I'm not sure if its true or not but I feel like the minotaur boss got a heavy nerf since the last time I played, and thats a shame. That thing used to strike fear in me, but not so much anymore.

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:22 am

Its one of those mobs that require some preparation. I dont think it's out of it's level range where it lurks on Skal.
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too