Does necromancy need more RP features, or is it good as is?

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Shrouded Wanderer

Does necromancy need more RP features, or is it good as is?

Post by Shrouded Wanderer » Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:11 am

Couple of threads have come up regarding necromancy, raising players etc...

I'm wondering, does the community feel that necromancy needs more RP features to focus on, more perks? Less perks? Or is it fine as is?

I have my own ideas on the matter I wont fling out. And I feel this belongs in feedback. Personally I think that necromancy does need something more as, when players decide to focus in it they are a "necromancer first" sort of approach rather than a "wizard that focuses on evocation"... Similarly originators have a lot of focused RP features that distinguish them seperately than just a wizard.

Anyway, I really want to do a poll, as what I see is a lot of people that read and provide no input, perhaps they feel they have no skin in the game as it were, never having or no plans to play such a character.

Id like to hear people respond on how they feel necromancy is treated, if it does or does not need a bit more to the thing.

AstralUniverse

Re: Does necromancy need more RP features, or is it good as is?

Post by AstralUniverse » Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:34 pm

I kinda like it. I wouldnt mind some feature that raises an undead from a PC corpse that has the PC name on it but otherwise I think the school is fine.

Could be something like a really weak ability if you are low lvl and only have greater spell focus. Zombie for spell focus, ghoul for epic spell focus. Strength of the creature could scale linearly with your lvl and remain below-average in strength so it doesnt change anything too much.

Another feature I had in mind is a series of rituals, scaling by power. More powerful rituals are unlocked with combined CL of classes with spellbook that has necromancy spells in it (so if you dip bard and you have 8 cha, nope). A ritual grants a target some undead bonuses/immunities and some penalties in answer.
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

Shrouded Wanderer

Post by Shrouded Wanderer » Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:41 pm

By RP mechanics I dont mean any sort of buff or nerf, I think currently its as strong as it should be.

What I mean is a separation of the mechanics of the class from other summon based classes.

Though I do wonder why this isnt ever a popular thread to talk about

Exordius

Post by Exordius » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:33 pm

Amia had the option where you could take an undead as a familiar/animal companion which would scale up as you leveled. Took it for my necro and it could tank most things easy.

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by MissEvelyn » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:45 pm

I would love to see a -console spell/command that lets undead creatures in the world ignore the necromancer for a given amount of time. Maybe even make the PC necromancer non-hostile.

For intelligent undead like vampires this could enable PC necromancers to have a conversation with the vampires. Likely the intelligent undead would still regard the necromancer with distrust, but imagine the potential options you could implement into the game world with this.

Hazard

Post by Hazard » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:09 pm

Certainly needs a lot more love, yes.