Monster Races and the Bane Church

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Shrouded Wanderer

Monster Races and the Bane Church

Post by Shrouded Wanderer » Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:45 am

This likely has the potential to be a bit controversial so id like to preface everything with this: This is soley a discussion and feedback on this particular rule with FR Lore vs. Arelith lore. I'm not encouraging anyone to get disparaging as I know there is a history here that I dont think anyone wants to repeat.... So that being said--

I wanted to open up a discussion on the current rules regarding surface monsters and the Banite Church. There has been many faction shifts throughout the years with the church being owned by serveral different types of leaders from orthodox church of bane to the Zhentarim, occasionally sharrans and Cyrisists.

The one thing, commonly held is that monsters and UD races are generally unallowed to interact in any more than an informal basis with the church. Sometimes even leading to the slaughter of a Monster Banite by NPCs.

Theres a few issues I find with monsters being disallowed in the church.

1. Forgotten realms lore, (I know I know, I'll get to the counter in a second)
Banites, while universally believing humans are the master race, often use Monsters as shocktroops and second class Citizens. To a Banite a Monsters life loss is a better outcome than a Human faithful. The Zhentilar utilize Monsters ranging from goblins to ogres and wyverns and occasionally dragons in their armies per lore. The Orthodox church would utilize Goblins and Gnolls on more than an occasion leading them to have as-good-as-it-gets relations with tribes

2. Arelith Lore:

Banites on Arelith have a very specific reputation, granted its an EARNED reputation, but Banites have been for the last 6 years been treated essentially as monsters in their own right. Often being killed without provocation. Heck, even saying praise bane errantly could cause a scene.

3. The Underdark: specifically Andunor, while being a trade hub, specifically allows anyone with gold come to trade. Meaning while its a majority underdarker and monster hub (partially due to zero other alternatives) its in reality a hub for all evil. I believe the Bane church could become a secondary hub, but not for trade. Utilized to make contact with the surface world and to trade for staging grounds. This idea is supported by the fact that the church literally has a door leading to the underdark.

4. Evil:
Its sort of an open secret that evil isnt really the "surface thing" often there are arguements of Surface vs. Underdark conflated with Good vs. Evil.
Generally I think it could lead to more RP if the church could be utilized as staging grounds for Monsters.

There are many holes in my arguements. Firstly, Arelith lore is not Forgotten realms lore, I understand. But most new players come to the server with general knowledge of FR, often thinking it is the same. There are no true documents readily available to teach the lore of the server stretching back 15 IRL years to when the king got a pie thrown in his face by the dreadlord and lead the feud.

I'm also aware of the worry of the slippery slope; "if the banites get to have monsters why not X"

Well the arguement against this is simple. The banites do not treat monsters as equals, and never will or should. They are generally slaves, something that is severly lacking on surface is slavery RP. Generally monsters are held in kennels or stables, often treated worse than horses.

I guess my general question is; would it be acceptable to the server for slave monsters such as goblins, kobolds, ogres, minotaur, gnolls (basically everything but intelligent humanoids like drow, du ergar, imaskari) to be utilized by Banites? Why or why not? Please show your work :)

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Re: Monster Races and the Bane Church

Post by The GrumpyCat » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:01 pm

I think for slave monsters (as in mechanical slaves) I definatly don't see a problem.

For monsters who arn't slaves...

I think it'd be case by case? In theory I have less of an issue with a gnoll hanging about the Banite Church than say, in the Radient Heart. But I wouldn't like to see it too common, and I wouldn't like to see a gnoll/drow/ect own property in the church.

Basicaly if done carefully it's a 'maybe'.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

Hinty

Post by Hinty » Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:27 pm

Hired muscle and low ranking goons? Sure, makes perfect sense to me.

Leadership positions and higher ranks... would have to be a pretty exceptional individual. Emphasis on individual.

Petrifictus

Post by Petrifictus » Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:09 pm

Anything that expand more RP options for the monster races outside the Andunor, be it Sibayad, Sencliff or Church of Bane is always a good thing.
https://petrifications.deviantart.com/
Gnome Wotan Woodberry - (Shelved)
Goblin Toymaker Karma - (Rolled)
Ogre Karstaag da Main Man - (Active)

Lawful

Post by Lawful » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:16 am

I agree that if there are more avenues of RP for the more restricted races, then that can only lead to more quality RP. :)

Kuma
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Kuma » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:39 am

Petrifictus wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:09 pm
Anything that expand more RP options for the monster races outside the Andunor, be it Sibayad, Sencliff or Church of Bane is always a good thing.

House Freth: Reference Information
House Claddath: Reference Information
"What's a heretic?": a guide to religious schism terminology

Irongron wrote:

4. No full screen images of the NWN gnome model (might frighten the children)

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:59 am

Slaves only imo.
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

Petrifictus

Post by Petrifictus » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:39 am

Kuma wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:39 am
Petrifictus wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:09 pm
Yes because Outcasts are truly "limited" and need more options, tools and freedoms within the servers.
This is about expanding monster RP and not about Outcasts, they have their own feedback-post here.

I once played goblin Banenite monk who worked with one of many previous Banenite groups who too had this Zhentarim-plan to include monster races. I believed and still do that expanding the Church of Bane for monstrous RP too would not only serve us monsters but those who like to play Banenites too, who often end up as underdogs against 99% of surface.

CptJonas

Post by CptJonas » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:51 am

+1 to Petrifictus

I personaly dont see reason why in evil faction cant be monsters...
At all...why we dont see more surface monsters on actual surface....like we have lots of those NPCs on surface...why not players plaing them? Talking about races which can actualy totaly fine live under sun...Like Orcs....goblins....hobgoblins.....Gnolls....

Nobs

Post by Nobs » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:10 am

Think the Zhentarim in lore actualy does deal and even hire monster races like drow and other evil from the dark.

On a side note...

Join Captain Arshh the champion minotaur of Sencliff!!
Im rather sure he would welcome monster races who are willing to take the ink.

Petrifictus

Post by Petrifictus » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:19 am

Nobs wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:10 am
Join Captain Arshh the champion minotaur of Sencliff!!
Im rather sure he would welcome monster races who are willing to take the ink.
Or join Beast King Karstaag and his Scourge Tribes of Andunor!
Be one and many with our large family, keep the Sharps sharpened with beastblood as monster settlement!

Kuma
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Kuma » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:57 am

Petrifictus wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:39 am
This is about expanding monster RP and not about Outcasts, they have their own feedback-post here.
what is it about monsters that stifles your roleplay to the point of detriment, or to the point of seeing that the grass is greener on the other side?

House Freth: Reference Information
House Claddath: Reference Information
"What's a heretic?": a guide to religious schism terminology

Irongron wrote:

4. No full screen images of the NWN gnome model (might frighten the children)

Petrifictus

Post by Petrifictus » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:42 am

Kuma wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:57 am
Petrifictus wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:39 am
what is it about monsters that stifles your roleplay to the point of detriment, or to the point of seeing that the grass is greener on the other side?
What is it that you act like me and those who spoke against Outcasts are the ones who ”ruined” them for you?

Irongron already explained that they were locked because most who played Outcasts did not play them right, so look at them instead pointing finger at me as a goat to blame.

With expanding options for the monsters outside the Andunor, we can more encourage and inspire people to give them a try, not to mention giving an more open example about their RP, as most avoid playing them due to lack of it, since they dislike the unsure feeling if they’re doing it right or not.

Void

Post by Void » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:21 pm

Petrifictus wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:42 am
Irongron already explained that they were locked because most who played Outcasts did not play them right, so look at them instead pointing finger at me as a goat to blame.
He actually didn't say that.

Exact statement:
viewtopic.php?p=218865#p218865
Irongron wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:36 am
This has been a divisive issue, no doubt, with strong opinions on both sides. There are a few facts that guided this decision though.

1. Underdark is very much changed from where it was 5 years ago, and may no longer need the presence of outcasts to flourish.

2. A great many people simply weren't roleplaying the outcast nature of their character, and locked behind a reward may feel more compelled to.

3. This was introduced when the only other starting option was Cordor, with no 'evil' start. This is very different now, especially with Sencliff. Humans probably dont need 4 options.

4. We have added more underdark races since outcast, and will continue to do so.

None of the above means I'm convinced of this change, far from it. If anything I'm a great proponent of outcasts, but I do at least believe there is little to be lost by listening to alternative point of view and giving this a try.
Another forum ban, here we go again.

Petrifictus

Post by Petrifictus » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:31 pm

Ok, this post seems to be running out of hands with attacking others than giving Feedback and talking about it.

Remove the reply or lock the post if you cant be nice instead of being rude and petty.
Last edited by Miaou on Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed edited line referring to a removed post.

Drowboy

Post by Drowboy » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:03 pm

Man if you don't see that your posts indicate both a clear bias and some amount of hypocrisy I don't think anyone can help you.
Perceived surfacers in Andunor: Bad, wrong, must be removed, rallied against, posted about every week for 5 years
Monsters on Surface: just the natural progression of giving my ogre more stuff to do, completely sensible

Maybe it's not even your intention! But that's 100% what it looks like on the outside so you might want to consider that.
Archnon wrote: I like the idea of slaves and slavery.

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:05 pm

There's no reason why surfacers can't be in Andunor!
So long as they understand (and roleplay) that they are in a place where 90% of the population will likely want to torture, enslave and/or kill them, pretty much on sight. As such they shoudl be wary, rp fear, distrust, ect.

There's no reason why Monster Races can't be on the surface!
So long as they understand (and roleplay) that they are in a place where they will not be tolerated. Where 'Sure I ate a 2 year old girl last week, so what?' won't be met with a shrug. So long as they understand the NPC population won't put up with their presence and don't enter settlments.

'Hold on GrumpyCat! Hold on! Don't you see the hypocracy there? Why is it that the NPCs will accept surfacers in Andunor, and yet NPCs won't accept underdarkers in surface settlments? Isn't that unfair?'

Why yes, in a way. But it's also cannon and lore appropriate.

There are two basic reasons

a) Underdark PCs (mostly evil/neutral) are pragmatic in approach. Surface npcs are more likley to be idealistic, being good aligned. A Underdarker NPC might go 'Yeah he's a surfacer, but it's more than it's worth for me to bother with him. Heck maybe I can even use his nievity against him? Trick him into making a deal? Learn valuble surface intel off him? hrmmm...' A surfacer npc, seeing a monster race is more likey go to, 'I don't care how much gold you have, I'm not sellling you my daughter!'

b) More importantly is the general pc reactions. As a rule more underdarker pcs are likely to be generally intolerant of surfacers, than surfacer pcs are to be of monsters. A surfacer caught in andunor is likely to be attacked, or at least chased out. A underdarker caught in a surface settlment is (more often than I'd like) treated with. 'omg just 'cos it's a gnoll u can't judge it that's RACIST! Come have tea and cookies with us mister puppy-man!'

We can simply trust pcs in Andunor to respect their roleplay more than, saldy, pcs in the surface settlments. As such we tend to have to be a lot more stringent.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

cowboy

Post by cowboy » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:28 pm

The GrumpyCat wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:05 pm
There's no reason why surfacers can't be in Andunor!
So long as they understand (and roleplay) that they are in a place where 90% of the population will likely want to torture, enslave and/or kill them, pretty much on sight. As such they shoudl be wary, rp fear, distrust, ect.

There's no reason why Monster Races can't be on the surface!
So long as they understand (and roleplay) that they are in a place where they will not be tolerated. Where 'Sure I ate a 2 year old girl last week, so what?' won't be met with a shrug. So long as they understand the NPC population won't put up with their presence and don't enter settlments.

'Hold on GrumpyCat! Hold on! Don't you see the hypocracy there? Why is it that the NPCs will accept surfacers in Andunor, and yet NPCs won't accept underdarkers in surface settlments? Isn't that unfair?'

Why yes, in a way. But it's also cannon and lore appropriate.

There are two basic reasons

a) Underdark PCs (mostly evil/neutral) are pragmatic in approach. Surface npcs are more likley to be idealistic, being good aligned. A Underdarker NPC might go 'Yeah he's a surfacer, but it's more than it's worth for me to bother with him. Heck maybe I can even use his nievity against him? Trick him into making a deal? Learn valuble surface intel off him? hrmmm...' A surfacer npc, seeing a monster race is more likey go to, 'I don't care how much gold you have, I'm not sellling you my daughter!'

b) More importantly is the general pc reactions. As a rule more underdarker pcs are likely to be generally intolerant of surfacers, than surfacer pcs are to be of monsters. A surfacer caught in andunor is likely to be attacked, or at least chased out. A underdarker caught in a surface settlment is (more often than I'd like) treated with. 'omg just 'cos it's a gnoll u can't judge it that's RACIST! Come have tea and cookies with us mister puppy-man!'

We can simply trust pcs in Andunor to respect their roleplay more than, saldy, pcs in the surface settlments. As such we tend to have to be a lot more stringent.
Major league swagout!
If lawyers are disbarred and clergymen are defrocked, shouldn't it follow that cowboys would be deranged?

Lawful

Post by Lawful » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:52 pm

Too right Grumpy, which is why I think it would be good to have more options for evil surface monsters. Let them ply that fear and anxiety into the populace to let them know they are more than just some writ to be taken care of, and outside of that, just a anomaly to befriend with no worries.