Hexblade Rework Feedback Megathread

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Drowboy

Re: Hexblade Rework Feedback Megathread

Post by Drowboy » Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:55 pm

you know what I'm about to say here

Can we get some of those saucy new vfxs? (if this is already a thing, thanks)
Archnon wrote: I like the idea of slaves and slavery.

garrbear758

Post by garrbear758 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:32 pm

Drowboy wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:55 pm
you know what I'm about to say here

Can we get some of those saucy new vfxs? (if this is already a thing, thanks)
:twisted:
You've done it [Garrbear], you've kicked the winemom nest. -Redacted

a shrouded figure

Post by a shrouded figure » Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:24 pm

garrbear758 wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:32 pm

:twisted:
Hey Garr- I finally tried out this class with all the new tweaks. I can honestly say that I wasn’t very interested at first- but holy crap I’m in love. Hex has been the most enjoyable play thru I’ve had in a long time. It has a nice balance of things to do, but not so much that I feel like a shot clock referee. The main thing I’ve got any comment on would be the spell book- particularly level 3 spells feel a bit hollow with dark flame not being useful. Magic weapon at level 1 feels odd considering we don’t need it- but there’s other spells I’d take so I’d almost suggest just removing it as an option, but it’s not hurting anything. There’s definitely spells I would add, but that would get OP so I’ll keep that to myself, hah!!

Overall really nice job, I haven’t hit any major problems with the power curve so far, that’s been really enjoyable.

I like the assortment of skills, I wouldn’t mind if some ability (new or current) got some scaling from one- maybe intimidate pending the soon(TM) changes? Just an idea.

Find familiar feels a little funny- I’d almost vote for this to be removed and replaced with another cookie. Granted pixie familiars are super awesome and people would be mad at me if they went away- but I feel like we could do something a little different. Maybe trade the familiar for level 5 spells? That could be an argument!

Quidix
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Quidix » Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:54 pm

Just to echo that, it really does play very well and is a lot of fun!

(please don't take away my pixie that I keep captive in a bottle)

a shrouded figure

Post by a shrouded figure » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:10 am

Time for some more feedback!

Epic Hexblade Feats -

A bit underwhelming. Duality / Elemental are fine and dandy, typically I'd assume most HB's only take one or the other. Some other type of hex or curse at level 29 would be fun - doesn't have to be anything crazy, just a cookie for going pure (obviously I know that +6 curse / hex's is also the reward for pure), but I was thinking maybe something like a... mmm... not sure. Just feels a bit hollow as it's standard progression.

Spells -

Level 3 spells make me sad... Unless that is Darkflame works and I just didn't know, but I was under the impression that it's not currently functioning with our new un-reduced curse damage. At least one functional level 3 buff would be a nice thing, currently I can say that I dont actually use any of my level 3 spells... ever. That's a bummer , but I typically play my HB as a buff up and go stab things type of situation.

Otherwise, my earlier post rings true, I'm still in love with my HB. Thanks again Garr!

Red_Wharf

Post by Red_Wharf » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:28 pm

Is it intentional that you have to reapply Curse Weapon whenever you unequip and equip your weapon again? It's not a big deal, but it's a little annoying because it replaces your weapon's essence whenever you cast the spell.

Is Maledictum of Worms getting tweaked before it is added to the server? It is strong but it also looks a little too specific. I'm not sure how, but in my opinion it could be more interesting if this curse could be used in more situations besides only when fighting a class that can cast Heal.

garrbear758

Post by garrbear758 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:06 pm

Red_Wharf wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:28 pm
Is it intentional that you have to reapply Curse Weapon whenever you unequip and equip your weapon again? It's not a big deal, but it's a little annoying because it replaces your weapon's essence whenever you cast the spell.

Is Maledictum of Worms getting tweaked before it is added to the server? It is strong but it also looks a little too specific. I'm not sure how, but in my opinion it could be more interesting if this curse could be used in more situations besides only when fighting a class that can cast Heal.
1. Yes to prevent an exploit. Ill see if I can make it less annoying at some point but thats not high priority
2. Yes it will be tweaked

Red_Wharf

Post by Red_Wharf » Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:39 am

Is it possible to add the Hex ability to the -usefeat command? It can be very annoying to target an enemy with the Hex when there's lots of characters around. That command would help a lot.

garrbear758

Post by garrbear758 » Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:21 pm

Red_Wharf wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:39 am
Is it possible to add the Hex ability to the -usefeat command? It can be very annoying to target an enemy with the Hex when there's lots of characters around. That command would help a lot.
Ya that was just an oversight. I'll try to get it done reasonably soon(tm).

a shrouded figure

Post by a shrouded figure » Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:58 pm

garrbear758 wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:21 pm
Red_Wharf wrote:

Psst... unless it was recently removed Hex is on the -usefeat list already lol
Last edited by a shrouded figure on Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Waldo52

Post by Waldo52 » Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:58 pm

One thing that sort of confuses me about the hexblade is that despite being a very well designed class there isn't much opportunity to use those deceptive underhanded strategies you'd expect from such a character.

For an evil only class limited to lighter armors you'd expect to see hide/move silently as class skills, maybe even set trap. You'd expect poison use or something. Even if the hexblade isn't supposed to be rogue-like per se I think he should at least borrow slightly from that world. For a villain the fighting style feels too predictable.

Red_Wharf

Post by Red_Wharf » Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:07 pm

a shrouded figure wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:58 pm
garrbear758 wrote:
Red_Wharf wrote:

Psst... unless it was recently removed Hex is on the -usefeat list already lol
Best piece of news I received this week. I have to test this out immediately.

Aren
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Aren » Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:41 am

garrbear758 wrote:
Red_Wharf wrote:
It should already be in game, Garr. I’ve used it at least?

".. the other number that isn't 18." - Jack Oat
".. but- someone is still pumping the brakes sometimes, right? ...right?" - Batcountry

Red_Wharf

Post by Red_Wharf » Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:58 am

Yes, -usefeat hex works. A noble soul should add it to the wiki some time.

_-HiM-_
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by _-HiM-_ » Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:07 pm

Could Hexblade be included in the list of red dragon disciple pre-requirements as well as Bard/Sorcerer?

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:13 pm

_-HiM-_ wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:07 pm
Could Hexblade be included in the list of red dragon disciple pre-requirements as well as Bard/Sorcerer?
I hope not. It makes no sense and rdd builds dont need a buff. However, I'd like to see Hexblade counting as an arcane class for Arcane Archer, if it's not the case already.
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

_-HiM-_
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by _-HiM-_ » Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:27 pm

AstralUniverse wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:13 pm
_-HiM-_ wrote:
I hope not. It makes no sense and rdd builds dont need a buff. However, I'd like to see Hexblade counting as an arcane class for Arcane Archer, if it's not the case already.
I havent seen any great RDD builds to be honest yeah they are pretty strong but not dex/divine or barb/wm strong it was more on the line of charisma based arcance casters bard/sorceror and hex.

likewise i could see it being a pre-req for arcane archer - im surprised its not

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:42 pm

_-HiM-_ wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:27 pm
AstralUniverse wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:13 pm
_-HiM-_ wrote:
I havent seen any great RDD builds to be honest yeah they are pretty strong but not dex/divine or barb/wm strong it was more on the line of charisma based arcance casters bard/sorceror and hex.

likewise i could see it being a pre-req for arcane archer - im surprised its not
The requirement to RDD was never bard/sorc because of "arcane class" - then wizard would qualify as well. It is because of supposedly draconic heritage which is specific to sorcerers and bards in the setting. Hexblade doesnt exist in the lore afaik and we made it up. It has nothing to do with draconic bloodline and again, rdd does not need a buff, and especially not a buff in the form of qualifying through a full bab class. it is waaay too strong.
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

Jagel

Post by Jagel » Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:32 am

Full bab in a RDD pre req class would be a bit much IMO

Red_Wharf

Post by Red_Wharf » Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:32 pm

AstralUniverse wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:42 pm
Hexblade doesnt exist in the lore afaik and we made it up.
No, Arelith didn't make it up. For the 3.5 version of Hexblade, don't bother looking it up on the FR Wiki at all, too much 4th edition lore. Worth keeping that in mind if you want to research the class lore.

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:54 pm

Red_Wharf wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:32 pm
AstralUniverse wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:42 pm
Hexblade doesnt exist in the lore afaik and we made it up.
No, Arelith didn't make it up. For the 3.5 version of Hexblade, don't bother looking it up on the FR Wiki at all, too much 4th edition lore. Worth keeping that in mind if you want to research the class lore.
Oh my bad then, and glad to be educated. Still though, correct me if I'm wrong but there's no relation between Hexblade and bard/sorc draconic heritage, right? And again, rdd doesnt need a buff.
Svrtr wrote:

garrbear758

Post by garrbear758 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:04 pm

So hexblade in 3.5 comes out of complete warrior, but the lore in there is extremely vague. It is a class that can curse enemies and use weapons, cast some spells, and has a familiar. They are never good, and they usually aren’t very religious. That’s the extent of the lore I could find when designing the class, so there is definitely a lot of room to interpret it as we wish.

Good Character

Post by Good Character » Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:12 pm

A class that would give a dex-hexblade access to STR-locked feats would be broken. 15 hex/10 RDD/5 monk. All at 22 BAB, 10 APR, and while doing 35 damage on avg but up to 42 (44, if Hex of Duality affects essences).

My god that would be beautiful.

garrbear758

Post by garrbear758 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:22 pm

We have no plans to expand the prereqs for rdd.

Scylon

Post by Scylon » Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:52 am

I'd personally like to see classes like RDD or BG reduced a but to allow them to be taken at level 4.