Earthkin Defender Changes Thread!

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

a shrouded figure

Re: Earthkin Defender Changes Thread!

Post by a shrouded figure » Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:19 pm

Ooo!! Aniel!!!

These are excellent changes. Already excited to start planning…

I’m so happy to see safeguard become an instant action. Also, as I recall when I was building previously 11 EKD was /constantly/ killing me- I’m super pumped to see what I can figure out without needing 11.

Also… huge upgrade on magebane. That’s a game changer for EKD builds. Awesome sauce

Archnon

Post by Archnon » Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:22 pm

This is amazing! Thank you!

a shrouded figure

Post by a shrouded figure » Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:45 pm

Does this mean that EKD can hit 36 SR if they went 20?

Watchful Glare

Post by Watchful Glare » Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:53 pm

a shrouded figure wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:45 pm
Does this mean that EKD can hit 36 SR if they went 20?

Earthkin Defender, circa 175 AR
Biz here was a constant subliminal hum, and death the accepted punishment for laziness, carelessness, lack of grace, the failure to heed the demands of an intricate protocol.

a shrouded figure

Post by a shrouded figure » Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:34 pm

I mean pure monk can hit 44 if you really wanted to try and be annoying - lol.

36 isn’t really much chance to resist a level 30 CL.

However, the goofy afore mentioned monk has a 65% chance to resist a CL30 (assuming that realistically very few people take spell pen or epic spell pen).

Question being, can you resist the -10 from mords?

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:38 pm

a shrouded figure wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:34 pm
No. Mords, breach and dispel are not affected by SR.

Sincra
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by Sincra » Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:50 pm

Ork wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:38 pm
a shrouded figure wrote:
No. Mords, breach and dispel are not affected by SR.
Thank the gods.
Irongron wrote:I've literally never used -guard on anyone.

Archnon

Post by Archnon » Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:35 pm

Pretty sure he meant nords drops your SR by 10, iirc.

***Edit***
Upon further testing, it seems this has been fixed or I was just wrong about it. Safeguard does not break action queu but you still need to target click. Seems fine as is though.
Last edited by Archnon on Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TooManyPotatoes

Post by TooManyPotatoes » Tue Dec 14, 2021 3:44 am

Playing a deep earthkin build atm. I really appreciate seeing the class looked at. Please take the feedback as attempts at constructive criticism and thanks for efforts.

Magebane is actually significant now which is nice. I hope the change remains as is.

I really tried to make aegis work but the only thing i could find it useful for was making the banner survive a breath weapon attack from a boss. Action economy makes it useless as a half round (pseudo fullround) commitment and it forces you to clump up to get the benefits to your team (which is very appreciated by your opponents WoF spammer). And for your efforts it only lasts 30 seconds.

Changes to banner havent helped the above noted issue. It is very frustrating that it dies immediately against abazzur etcs breath attack (its saves are non existant). The physical damage resistance was never an issue in pve because, if you know how to aggro control, your flag wont be attacked 90% of the time.

The change to banner DOES mean the banner has a potential use in pvp as it wont die immediately to mundanes so im happy to see that. Of course if your enemy is fighting in the aoe of the banner they probably deserve to lose anyway. Before the change i only used the banner for chest opening (3% better loot and less equipment changing needed!). Im hoping ill have reason to use it more now. Banner is amazing on paper but tends to perform poorly in reality thanks to it being stationary.

Not used safeguard as i think the numbers are weak (duration or immunity could be better) and it likely suffers from the same clumping problem as aegis for minimal gain. Its nice to see it moved to instant use but sounds like its still janky because it needs to be targeted.

I dunno if deterance or debilitating strike will ever see use in current incarnations due to how tight your choices are already.

Iron stance movement is unbareable regardless of ekd levels. Regular stance movement loss is barely noticable with 10+ levels. Iron stance is a trap.

Earthkin is a bit more robust now thanks to the sr but im still doubtful regarding its kill pressure. You dont really have to worry about dying to an ekd in pvp as you can always run away (epic feat loss makes its ab abysmal for a commited frontliner). Strong class for low ac pve though and i think its just a few small changes needed.

Low Hanging Fruitlord

Post by Low Hanging Fruitlord » Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:24 am

a shrouded figure wrote:
The only source of SR that isn't lowered by Mord / Breach SR reduction is the hard-coded Diamond Soul feat from Monk.

Since this is custom content added via nwn script, it's a safe bet that it gets affected by those spells' SR reduction. (Please correct me if I'm wrong on this.)