[Edited] New Armours

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Diegovog

Re: [Edited] New Armours

Post by Diegovog » Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:14 pm

I'm sad to see shaman items are all only caster shaman and none towards the physical non-tribal shaman/barb.

Flower Power

Post by Flower Power » Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:12 am

I was pretty excited to see special Divine Champion armor added in, but it's kind of, uhh. Weird.

- Sanctified Plate is the only new +4 FP that requires Mithril Dust; it requires not just one, but two mithril dust, making it exceptionally expensive in comparison to all of the other new armors.

- It grants +4 Leadership which isn't a Divine Champion class skill. Plus, even if it was, Divine Champion is a 2 Points/lvl class, meaning every functional DC build is picking up Discipline and Lore - not Leadership.

- It gets 3/day Aid and 1/day Raise Dead, which is - okay? I'm not sure that 2 mithril dust is really worth a situational short duration +1 AB that I have to spend a round activating. Raise Dead is a decent QoL add-on.

- Unlike all the other new +4 FP, it isn't Runic, and doesn't grant increased Damage Immunity.

The result is a suit of armor that costs hand over fist more to produce than all the other new armors, is less protective than all the other new armors, is less customizable than all the other new armors, and grants you a few other extra bonuses that aren't really all that applicable to your skillset.

Perhaps we could revisit and retune this one, or at least make it not cost two mithril dust if it isn't going to be retuned?

I'd recommend dropping the spells/day and the +4 Leadership in favor of the 10/5/5 DI spread that all the other new armor has and then either a rune or +2 CHA.
what would fred rogers do?

a shrouded figure

Post by a shrouded figure » Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:29 am

Accursed scales make the sanctified plate look cheap. Have you tried to find a Paladin willing to craft chainmail for you on an orog? I’m about to start a slaving campaign...

Naghast

Post by Naghast » Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:40 am

Isn't there a loremaster secret that lets you craft class-specific things? This would include the paladin armor i think.

HeyLadyOfDecay
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by HeyLadyOfDecay » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:32 am

Flower Power wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:12 am
I was pretty excited to see special Divine Champion armor added in, but it's kind of, uhh. Weird.

- Sanctified Plate is the only new +4 FP that requires Mithril Dust; it requires not just one, but two mithril dust, making it exceptionally expensive in comparison to all of the other new armors.

- It grants +4 Leadership which isn't a Divine Champion class skill. Plus, even if it was, Divine Champion is a 2 Points/lvl class, meaning every functional DC build is picking up Discipline and Lore - not Leadership.

- It gets 3/day Aid and 1/day Raise Dead, which is - okay? I'm not sure that 2 mithril dust is really worth a situational short duration +1 AB that I have to spend a round activating. Raise Dead is a decent QoL add-on.

- Unlike all the other new +4 FP, it isn't Runic, and doesn't grant increased Damage Immunity.

The result is a suit of armor that costs hand over fist more to produce than all the other new armors, is less protective than all the other new armors, is less customizable than all the other new armors, and grants you a few other extra bonuses that aren't really all that applicable to your skillset.

Perhaps we could revisit and retune this one, or at least make it not cost two mithril dust if it isn't going to be retuned?

I'd recommend dropping the spells/day and the +4 Leadership in favor of the 10/5/5 DI spread that all the other new armor has and then either a rune or +2 CHA.
Honestly, My Paladin would love this armor, I mean, A paladin has leadership, would be a nice 2 ac upgrade from Templar plate, But for those materials, I'd like 2 Charisma with it. ^.-
Lyann Reyer. Back by demand.
(Mass grave of other characters)

Scylon

Post by Scylon » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:57 am

UMD on the Hex blade armor and Earthkin ones are really high. I'm wondering why that is the case. I understand the 45UMD. That is an investment that requires feats or to gear for them. 70-90 is just insane for a strength character and not realistically feasible. unless that is the point?

Its like the orog sword being race locked with no UMD check almost. Would be nice to see that guy usable by other races, especially if you have 30+ strength.

DangerDolphin

Post by DangerDolphin » Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:01 am

Hexblade Armor would be really OP if you could UMD it.

EKD Armor is worth the UMD tbh.

Scylon

Post by Scylon » Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:20 am

DangerDolphin wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:01 am
If it was 45-50. 70 is a bit extreme.

Flower Power

Post by Flower Power » Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:45 am

DangerDolphin wrote:
Hexblade Armor would be really OP if you could UMD it.

The EKD Armor is simultaneously hands down the best of the new armor while simultaneously also being the cheapest by an order of magnitude. The others all require rare chest-loot materials to make or (in the case of Dragonbone) requires a premade suit of adamantine FP in addition to another FP's worth of addy.

The cost-to-value ratio is way out of balance with the other armors, and it should probably have its production requirements hiked sharply.
what would fred rogers do?

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:00 pm

Scylon wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:20 am
DangerDolphin wrote:
If it was 45-50. 70 is a bit extreme.
I agree that 70 is a bit extreme. Ironically enough, divine bards will still reach it while no one else realistically can. 45-50 is a fine tax.
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

Scylon

Post by Scylon » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:04 pm

well I can get 35 on my current build, and if I get an enchanter I can squeeze it up to 45, maybe 50.

So things that are 30-35 make to invest totally into UMD.

Things that are 45-50 make you need to feat or gear. and it is a really heavy tax

70 is seriously far to much just for +1ac.

mjones3

Post by mjones3 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:22 am

+1 ac, 5% DI from 2 extra types, +1 con, and runed is what it has over Adamantine. I think its that high because if it was lower every STR based Div dip build would just flock to it since you wouldn't need to gear for the dex on the elven chain. Its probably also why the Dragonbone has the cha Malus

Scylon

Post by Scylon » Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:30 am

mjones3 wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:22 am
+1 ac, 5% DI from 2 extra types, +1 con, and runed is what it has over Adamantine. I think its that high because if it was lower every STR based Div dip build would just flock to it since you wouldn't need to gear for the dex on the elven chain. Its probably also why the Dragonbone has the cha Malus
You make a persuasive argument. That said, class lock it. forget the UMD.