A Capella Aria - QoL Request

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Emaster

A Capella Aria - QoL Request

Post by Emaster » Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:45 pm

With the new bard changes, we got some really nice new tools to play with. I play a full support build (20 Bard / 10 LM) and the changes really helped my play experience. Thanks for all the hardwork!

From all the new changes, one song really seems a bit off, the "A Capella Aria" song, being a personal song that overrides only for the bard any previous song makes things kinda cumbersome to play with. The A Capella song will be my personal song choise in almost every day to day adventuring, it beats all the other songs in term of benefits.

Let's consider a typical 30 minutes adventure, which is usually the time a short adventure last, or what a level 20 extended bard spell lasts (Improved invisiblity, good hope) before I needed to rest because of the spell slots.

Before the changes, in a 30 minutes period, with Lasting Inspiration feat, I only used 3 songs of my 20 for buffing (in an scenario I didn't miss buffing a party member or a summon and no one joined in the middle of the adventure). Buffing was just as easy as clicking the feat on the quickbar and move on.

Now, afer the changes, things became a bit more complicated, as I have to do the following ritual every time I want to buff using songs:

Type -song x (where x is the song I want to buff my group)
Hit the bard song feat and wait until the character uses the feat
Type -song 9 (A capella Aria)
Hit the bard song feat and wait until the character uses the feat

Why I feel this is cumbersome? Mainly because:

1) Now something was really simple to do (just hit a feat button), became a process which now involves typing. Made a typo? Ha! You lose a a couple of bard song if you made a mistake in the number. Hopefully you don't miss the "-"!

2) As now the buffing ritual is more complicated, I have to sing more frequently in order to avoid the songs buff running out in the middle of combat. Else I have to do all the song juggling in the middle of combat.

3) Even if I chain the songs perfectly right when they are over, in the 30 minutes period time, now I have to use 6 bard songs for buffing when I only used 3. This basically completely overrides the change of songs refreshing every 10 minutes.

4) If someone joins to the adventure in the middle, or a summon died and is recalled, I have to do the ritual again. So before I just used 1 bard song, now I have to use two. Did someone move before you sang? Now I have to do the ritual twice.

5) Did another bard sang and you hear him? Now you have to sing again song 9.

Could the ritual be mechanically simplified somehow?
Could the extra song expense be reconsidered?

Some ideas:

A) Move song 9 benefits to the baseline song only for self.
B) Move the benefits of song 9 to a spell.
C) Make -song 9 a toggle, which causes the bard to get the benefits of song 9, while singing anything else.
D) Make typing -song x automatically sing, without interrupting other actions or queue the bard song, in order to avoid clicking the bard feat song.

Thanks for the nice changes!

DangerDolphin

Re: A Capella Aria - QoL Request

Post by DangerDolphin » Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:21 pm

A Capella Aria should be removing the buffs from the previous song used when you sing it, so you can't sing a party song followed by a solo song (As your bard can't do them both at the same time IC)

This is a bug if it's not removing the effects

garrbear758

Re: A Capella Aria - QoL Request

Post by garrbear758 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:27 pm

What dolphin said.

Additionally, you can set a macro on the quickbar for -song x for all your frequently used songs to save you from typing.
You've done it [Garrbear], you've kicked the winemom nest. -Redacted