[Loremaster] 5 Class change Feedback

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Party in the forest at midnight

Re: [Loremaster] 5 Class change Feedback

Post by Party in the forest at midnight » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:51 pm

While making the character I read the in-game feat description and thought I would be getting -teleport too. I'd second wanting for it to get -teleport, so I don't need to make a portal any time I want to teleport.

It would be nice if there were more minor perks that weren't just +1 saves or combat related. Things like:
- Secret of plants, lets you tend to plants.
- Secret of faith, lets you consecrate altars.
- Secret of tracking, lets you read tracks

Rigela

Post by Rigela » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:07 pm

I do love the changes, but did ponder some other additions that I think could be nice, some I mentioned earlier but just adding so all in one post, to go along with Party's.

Give it hybrid tier dweomer crafting. Doesn't really need full, as full casters will have over 24 for tier 2 and can grab a crafting feat for tier 3. Letting it hit 28 for hybrids to get tier 2 means they can also spend a crafting feat. Perhaps a "secret of dweomer crafting" if considered too much automatically.

Secret of herbalism - brew potion feat for mundanes, to get the bonus to herbalism (unless they can already take it these days? Maybe a nice addition anyway)

Adding ranger speed boost to "secret of exploration" It feels like a trap secret as it is, and this might be a nice bonus. Maybe at a lower percent than the rangers?

Secret of mercantile - favoured all on appraise rolls when dealing with merchants (like Duergar have I believe?)

Secret of shadows - can travel through shadow doors/bring others with them?

Secret of poisons - can craft/use poisons that are otherwise restricted without needing the feat/dexterity roll.

I also pondered being able to select certain class abilities to boost up, like rogue grenades or bard song, but it'd need to be only done partly as full levels applying could invalidate the need to take more of whatever class it is at all.
Isabella Isherwood - Priestess of Selune
Piper Barley - Joybringer of Lliira

Kessarin

Post by Kessarin » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:14 am

Saleph wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:52 pm
First off, I think that the 5 change is great. A little thought of mine tho.
So the loremaster Class gives +CL on lvls 1 and 5. I think it would be nice if those lvls would also give a 1lvl Bonus for bardsong.
It would put Barb/Lore at the same power as Wiz/Lore.
Yes. More bard / LM synergy, please!
Come visit the Carmichael Corner Café - located in the corner of Guldorand's town square near the Counting House and Speedy Messenger Service.

• new menu items featured every IG month!
• social opportunities - see and be seen!

malcolm_mountainslayer

Post by malcolm_mountainslayer » Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:34 am

Considering that the old lore master is not mechanically brocken in any OP way. You think we could offer some kind of grandfathering? I think new loremaster is fantastic, but I feel that punishing those who "built bad" is unnecessary. It causes some continuity with said characters to like its not just lost in some ab or ac. It's lost ij concrete IG abilities/feats. Like suddenly can't make illusory clones, etc. Not that it can't be RPed out, but it can be a pretty abrupt/forced change of rp.

Babylon System is the Vampire

Post by Babylon System is the Vampire » Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:59 pm

Well, while my initial reaction was positive reality has started to set in after toying around on the pgcc.

One, this nerfed the people who bit the bullet and played a suboptimal build for the rp cookies. I don't buy into the theory that these were comparable to monks or anything, that's just a silly statement. But I was totally fine with taking the hit for something that was going to make the gameplay better, because that's what a good member of the community does. Unfortunately, that leads right into two.

Two, this is a major boost to any mundane who wanted access to level 9 scrolls. While archers are definitely the biggest beneficiary since something like ranger 6/AA 19/ loremaster 5 can easily gain access to 9th level scrolls with monster AB as well as having a +10-15 saves vs spells, don't be surprised if we start to see damage dealers time stopping as soon as you are less then 50% life to finish you off. Now, while those things could have been possible even just taking 5 levels of loremaster as it was, they now have access to all the goodies including cl 22 dispels from their mord scrolls and a 50% chance of "saving" their scrolls where that would have been halved under the old system. You've also tossed in tutor, which apparently is too powerful to be a "free" feat after 10 levels of loremaster but perfectly fine for a powerful build to have for free if they want it since really they aren't splashing for the qol epic caster feats, they are splashing for the lore boosts and the spell craft access. It also synergizes really well with ranger, because now they can take disable trap with their set trap all while gaining, again, spell craft. And, finally, adding cl to it now means that with abj defense you can still take five levels of loremaster while still splashing for something that gives you disc on a wizard and still have a respectable 26 cl, giving them ALL of the goodies for the measly cost of 2 pre epic feats, one of which an argument could be made was worth taking anyways.

So in my estimation, all of that amounts to something that is going to need a nerf shortly down the line. Normally I stay out of conversations that predetermine things as too strong, because hey I could be wrong. But not only do I feel like this one is way too obvious, it also had the effect of making me make a decision between playing a character I was loving while accepting that it was nerfed from bad to truly awful, or having to move on despite all the things I was working on the last two months. So, yeah, I'm a little more aggressive with my opinions then usual. Sue me :)

((just to rattle off why this nerfed my character, ten less lore means I have to gear more for lore then I would have, already making my jank build worse on that fact alone. the trade off was that I was going to be able to take 25 rogue, but since I need bard levels still for teleport and that was an important part of my character's story line, that brings me down to 21 rogue. 24 is the cut off im looking for as a trade here, and again I am dealing with a character that was not an optimal rogue to begin with because it was not really feasible to build one that way with 10 loremaster levels)).

Zavandar

Post by Zavandar » Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:40 pm

just buy esf lore with your new rogue bonus feat you have now that you spend less levels on lm
Intelligence is too important

Post by Babylon System is the Vampire » Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:19 pm

I was already banking on taking that so I didn't have to use more then one item at 30. But I am less concerned about being nerfed then I am being nerfed for something that wind's up being too strong. My friend said I rambled in my post above, so I am going to break down things a little better.

Fighter/wm/lm and fighter/cot/lm should be able to get to timestop scroll usage and cl 22 disjunctions with some but far less effort then before now, all while having access to way better saves thanks to sc.

Barbarian/wm/lm can do it as well, its just going to hurt a lot more because they have way less feats. Better saves though!

Wizards can now take two epic cookies for the price of two feats pre epic (sf lore, abj defense), assuming they still want to take ranger for disc. While that does cut into their epic feats some, they still have five slots to play with there and they get two cookies without investing, like scry and project image. ((22 wizard, 5 loremaster, 3 ranger)).

Archers with gear can level up with appropriate summons, boosted even by gsf conj, all while being killing machines without any real danger since they can post up near a corner and stealth if the summon dies. They will also have access to timestop, which im not sure if that's a big deal or not, but cl 22 disjunctions seems really good for them. The one trade off for the power level of archers was that they were tough to level alone, this ends that quite nicely.

And all of this doesn't even mention the fact that you can retain wand and scroll uses. My personal bests as a level 9 loremaster was 3 straight wand usages without loosing a charge, and 4 gate scrolls in a fight without loosing the scroll.

By all means, tell me if all of that doesn't sound too good to you or you think I am living in magical x-mas land thinking that getting to 80 lore with some of these builds is possible, but I spent a good amount of time toying with this last night and think I am rather spot on.

garrbear758

Post by garrbear758 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:25 pm

Babylon System is the Vampire wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:19 pm
I was already banking on taking that so I didn't have to use more then one item at 30. But I am less concerned about being nerfed then I am being nerfed for something that wind's up being too strong. My friend said I rambled in my post above, so I am going to break down things a little better.

Fighter/wm/lm and fighter/cot/lm should be able to get to timestop scroll usage and cl 22 disjunctions with some but far less effort then before now, all while having access to way better saves thanks to sc.

Barbarian/wm/lm can do it as well, its just going to hurt a lot more because they have way less feats. Better saves though!

Wizards can now take two epic cookies for the price of two feats pre epic (sf lore, abj defense), assuming they still want to take ranger for disc. While that does cut into their epic feats some, they still have five slots to play with there and they get two cookies without investing, like scry and project image. ((22 wizard, 5 loremaster, 3 ranger)).

Archers with gear can level up with appropriate summons, boosted even by gsf conj, all while being killing machines without any real danger since they can post up near a corner and stealth if the summon dies. They will also have access to timestop, which im not sure if that's a big deal or not, but cl 22 disjunctions seems really good for them. The one trade off for the power level of archers was that they were tough to level alone, this ends that quite nicely.

And all of this doesn't even mention the fact that you can retain wand and scroll uses. My personal bests as a level 9 loremaster was 3 straight wand usages without loosing a charge, and 4 gate scrolls in a fight without loosing the scroll.

By all means, tell me if all of that doesn't sound too good to you or you think I am living in magical x-mas land thinking that getting to 80 lore with some of these builds is possible, but I spent a good amount of time toying with this last night and think I am rather spot on.
Ooooookay, let's do some math here yall.

Base lore: 33
Int (assuming 16 base and fox's cunning): 5
SF Lore: 3
Loremaster 5: 10
ESF Lore: 10
= 61
19 on gear = 80
15 of that gear can be witchunter's cloak and 2 rings of insight, but even then:

You are not getting that for free or easily like you are making it out to be.

1. You are giving up an epic feat in ESF lore
2. Fighter wm loremaster: no tumble: -3 ac. No 4th great str for esf lore: -1 ab.
3. Fighter cot loremaster: see point 2.
4. You are giving up a preepic feat for loremaster. Barb wm loremaster cannot afford this unless they take imp crit in epics and skip imp expertise. Also, no wp exotic for scythe or falchion. They already have 0 epic bonus feats AND you're still giving up one for ESF lore. If you still want thundering and terrifying rage, you'd be giving up ewf and armor skin for 80 lore.
5. Barb wm loremaster isn't going to get 16 int for loremaster, 13 dex for wm, and 18 con for barb. Pick 2.
6. 22 wizard, 5 loremaster, 3 ranger is going to have a lovely caster level of 24. If you like being alive, thats not a good CL to have on a wizard (or any class).
7. 25 wizard 5 loremaster does not get discipline
8. Archers would be giving up damage and feats (fighter dip) or damage and ac (divine dip). Both are more useful to an archer than loremaster. Sure, you could make one with summons that can level easier, but you're still just playing a worse archer.
You've done it [Garrbear], you've kicked the winemom nest. -Redacted

Party in the forest at midnight

Post by Party in the forest at midnight » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:10 pm

I think you're exaggerating how good those features are. For wizards, you lose out of all of the OTHER benefits of taking spell focuses.

I had to gut transmutation from my build to get this to fit due to the pre-req. It was a tough choice figuring out what to cut, ultimately I chose to keep abjuration for enhanced breaching and shield. And even then I'm not sure if I made the right choice, I'm losing enhanced zoo buffs and -teleport, and golem crafting I guess.
Languages and disable trap are the only thing this class gives me, at a huge sacrifice. I had to cut ranger, which offer some really strong RP cookies in itself as well as mechanical benefits- More mechanical benefits than Loremaster. I lose 2 feats as well.

I don't know melee all that well, but it would be a brutal crossclass for a rogue, you'd need to dip a 3rd class for discipline. And at that point you're just hurting yourself as a rogue.

I can't even think of what I would do with this class on a cleric.

For any of the classes I've played, loremaster is still very much a RP build class, where you get RP cookies in exchange for sacrifices elsewhere. I figure it's probably the same for other classes, that they'd lose out on feats or things that their base class would give them.

I don't think timestop scrolls are even a dealbreaker. Scroll using was normal up until the lore change. And I don't think reduced wand consumption makes up for class effectiveness that would be lost for mundanes.

Post by Babylon System is the Vampire » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:39 pm

garrbear758 wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:25 pm
Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:19 pm

Ooooookay, let's do some math here yall.

Base lore: 33
Int (assuming 16 base and fox's cunning): 5
SF Lore: 3
Loremaster 5: 10
ESF Lore: 10
= 61
19 on gear = 80
15 of that gear can be witchunter's cloak and 2 rings of insight, but even then:

You are not getting that for free or easily like you are making it out to be.

1. You are giving up an epic feat in ESF lore
2. Fighter wm loremaster: no tumble: -3 ac. No 4th great str for esf lore: -1 ab.
3. Fighter cot loremaster: see point 2.
4. You are giving up a preepic feat for loremaster. Barb wm loremaster cannot afford this unless they take imp crit in epics and skip imp expertise. Also, no wp exotic for scythe or falchion. They already have 0 epic bonus feats AND you're still giving up one for ESF lore. If you still want thundering and terrifying rage, you'd be giving up ewf and armor skin for 80 lore.
5. Barb wm loremaster isn't going to get 16 int for loremaster, 13 dex for wm, and 18 con for barb. Pick 2.
6. 22 wizard, 5 loremaster, 3 ranger is going to have a lovely caster level of 24. If you like being alive, thats not a good CL to have on a wizard (or any class).
7. 25 wizard 5 loremaster does not get discipline
8. Archers would be giving up damage and feats (fighter dip) or damage and ac (divine dip). Both are more useful to an archer than loremaster. Sure, you could make one with summons that can level easier, but you're still just playing a worse archer.
I mean, dude, I did the math. You left off two items, one that gives another +5 and one that gives +6, but yes you are going to take hits. Some of those include but are not limited to a small decrease in ab and ac for mundanes and having to take abj focus defense for a wizard like I mentioned in the above post. And maybe some of the builds I said above don't work out, I was working on theory and not practice after all. Having said all of that, I am predicting a return to a scroll heavy meta that resembles pre lore change, only with better cls. Even if nothing I said above tends to be the way to go, someone will break it. Because despite all the hurdles to get there, I think that people will find that its the type of juice that's worth the squeeze.

Either way I suspect we are going to find out, so thanks for the effort and I won't say a word if I turn out to be right :)

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:36 am

...why would a wizard care about hitting 80 lore?

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:15 am

Why even compare between wizards then and now when this class is just... as far as possible from wizard. Everything this class gives, you already swim in. Languages, epic spell focuses, etc etc. There's nothing this class does for you as a wizard except a huge overkill in what you're already good at, while screwing your caster level for no discipline dip. You barely ever use scrolls as wizard, and if you do, they are either 1) spells you already cast but rather have some scrolls and memorize other stuff and 2) Wof, I guess?
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

WarriorMage

Post by WarriorMage » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:51 am

At first I also thought there wasn't an issue with the loremaster dip but after reading Babylon's posts I kinda have to agree with him. Let me explain why:

- Mages don't really seem to be boosted by loremaster that much compared to melees, since they could already cast the spells reproduced by the scrolls, at a higher CL.

- It is true that WM gives up 3 tumble AC but let's remind ourselves that they can pick a secret for 1 AC while gaining an additional 1 AC from barkskin wands. This means they only lose 1 AC in reality. The loss of 1 AB caused by the trade of a Great STR feat for ESF lore is nullified by the secret of +1 AB.

Now let's take a look at what could be the problem. With LM lvls, melees have access to scrolls and wands at a higher CL. This means:

- Clarity, a CL 3 scroll which lasted 8 rounds and had a cooldown of 12 rounds becomes a CL 8 scroll which lasts 13 rounds and has a cooldown of 12 rounds. This means that once clarity wears off, melees can now reapply it instantly, as the cooldown becomes smaller than the duration. Also, this spell is unbreachable which makes its removal far more difficult.

- Acid sheath, a CL 9 scroll which lasted 9 rounds and granted biteback for an average of 21.5 dmg per hit becomes a CL 14 scroll which lasts 14 rounds and grants biteback for an average of 31.5 dmg per hit. This spell is breachable, but scrolls can be made in bulk and don't have a limited usage per day like a caster's spells.

- Premonition absorbed 150 dmg and with LM lvls will now absorb 200 dmg. This scroll can be used on top of greater stoneskin for an additional 160 dmg absorbed, compared to the previous 110 dmg. This makes a total increase of 260 to 360 dmg absorbed.

- Mords disjunction, a CL 17 scroll is raised to CL 22, which means it will now have at least a 10% chance of dispelling each individual ward of a CL 30. It used to be 5% but I believe it was raised to 10% when the dispel roll was changed from 1d20+22 vs 12+CL to 1d20+22 vs 11+CL. The chances of dispelling are even higher when the opponent has a lower CL than 30.

These are only a few of the many changes caused by an increase in scroll CL. To me, it seems LM lvls could really make the difference in the outcome of PvP, but ultimately what matters is how things turn out to be in practice and not in theory. Let's wait and see.

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:56 am

WarriorMage wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:51 am
- Clarity, a CL 3 scroll which lasted 8 rounds and had a cooldown of 12 rounds becomes a CL 8 scroll which lasts 13 rounds and has a cooldown of 12 rounds. This means that once clarity wears off, melees can now reapply it instantly, as the cooldown becomes smaller than the duration. Also, this spell is unbreachable which makes its removal far more difficult.
Nice catch.
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

Aldros

Post by Aldros » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:01 am

I like the change from 10 to 5 levels. However, I think the AC, AB and HP secrets should now be removed. This will keep LM from being too good of a dip class but won't do anything with its LM flavour. Add a few fun but not mechanically powerful secrets in the style of explorer or gatherer to make up for it.

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:30 pm

Aldros wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:01 am
I like the change from 10 to 5 levels. However, I think the AC, AB and HP secrets should now be removed. This will keep LM from being too good of a dip class but won't do anything with its LM flavour. Add a few fun but not mechanically powerful secrets in the style of explorer or gatherer to make up for it.
Honestly I don't think it's a very good dip class in most builds still. It's 3/4 AB with no tumble or disc access, and with a feat tax of a skill focus that is entirely useless for most classes.

Post by Babylon System is the Vampire » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:05 pm

Ork wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:36 am
it doesn't, but it cares about the other things the class gives. Lets break down a build off the top of my head...

level 1 take conj focuses, strictly for ease of leveling
3 and 5 enchantment focus for ease of leveling but creating a small army later as well.
6 and 9 evok focus
10 and 12 abj focus
15 skill focus lore, empower spell
18 abj defense
19 start lore master, start dumping into search, disable trap, spot, leadership and maybe some appraise for extra gold
20 take whatever lowbie loremaster feat that fits
21 epic sf enchant, another lowbie secret (Qol with benefits later)
22 secret of teleportation
23 back to wizard
24 epic sf evoc +1 int
25 last wizard
27 start ranger, dump set trap and disc epic sf abj greater ruin
30 last loremaster level, secret of scrying hell ball

The order may need to be tweaked in epics because of where skill points lie, but Im pretty sure loremaster gets concentration. either way, 32 is only one less.

So, now you are a cl 26 40 int wizard with a summon and two monsters you dominated with extra attacks per round because you got your leadership up to 40 (thanks to loremaster), you have evo combo which is back to being a beast (thanks to timestop reversion), and you can litter the field with epic traps (thanks to loremaster combined with ranger giving you both disable and set) if you have time to set up. And you have scry and teleport create for the total cost of two pre epic feats (abj defense, sf lore, again thanks to loremaster).

So, you are a killing machine, you see your enemy is in game, you scry them....and you see they just started dungeon x. You create a portal to take you to say RDI, grab a few fire giants, set up another portal (If you can't just grab them at the portal on the island, you want the best fire giants after all), get to where you know they are coming out of said dungeon. Litter the field with traps, buff your army, set up a ward so they can't lens away, and wait for them to come out so you can give them the proper lip service. Hell, you can even let them start charging you, you have traps all over and an army after all. And then you just start killing.

And honestly, that's not even the most powerful route. I just like enchantment as a school too much. Now a lot of these things a 27/3 wizard ranger could just do on their own, which is why I highlighted what they couldn't, but I think its safe to say that the benefits are way better then the losses.

Anyways, I should just shut up. I just used a normal reward on a character meant on taking advantage of loremaster's power as a five level class, I don't want to loose it. I already "lost" a greater reward on the character that needs to be remade from these changes, but I think eventually I will bite the bullet and bring him back as a remake. I was having a boat load of fun until these changes made him go from bad but for a reason to just bad. Not bitter, just bummed.

mjones3

Post by mjones3 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:34 pm

How are you getting CL 26 for that build? It should be 24 since you only take 22 levels of wizard.

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:37 pm

Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:05 pm
snip
Ok but... Literally anyone can win any engagement easy peasy if they have all the time in the world to so thoroughly set up the field as you described, that's such a pointless goal post when the vast majority of PvP that happens is entirely spontaneous.

Post by Babylon System is the Vampire » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:41 pm

Nitro wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:37 pm
snip
Ok but... Literally anyone can win any engagement easy peasy if they have all the time in the world to so thoroughly set up the field as you described, that's such a pointless goal post when the vast majority of PvP that happens is entirely spontaneous.
I think you missed my point. No one character can do EVERYTHING I just described, save that one. Its not about any one part of the event is overpowered, its the combination of being able to do it all.

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:44 pm

Yes they could? A wizard/specialist could do literally all of that, at higher CL with an actually useful skill focus and access to discipline. Heck, just Wiz/ranger is even better and can do all that.

Hunter548

Post by Hunter548 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:47 pm

Ork wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:36 am
it doesn't, but it cares about the other things the class gives. Lets break down a build off the top of my head...

level 1 take conj focuses, strictly for ease of leveling
3 and 5 enchantment focus for ease of leveling but creating a small army later as well.
6 and 9 evok focus
10 and 12 abj focus
15 skill focus lore, empower spell
18 abj defense
19 start lore master, start dumping into search, disable trap, spot, leadership and maybe some appraise for extra gold
20 take whatever lowbie loremaster feat that fits
21 epic sf enchant, another lowbie secret (Qol with benefits later)
22 secret of teleportation
23 back to wizard
24 epic sf evoc +1 int
25 last wizard
27 start ranger, dump set trap and disc epic sf abj greater ruin
30 last loremaster level, secret of scrying hell ball

The order may need to be tweaked in epics because of where skill points lie, but Im pretty sure loremaster gets concentration. either way, 32 is only one less.

So, now you are a cl 26 40 int wizard with a summon and two monsters you dominated with extra attacks per round because you got your leadership up to 40 (thanks to loremaster), you have evo combo which is back to being a beast (thanks to timestop reversion), and you can litter the field with epic traps (thanks to loremaster combined with ranger giving you both disable and set) if you have time to set up. And you have scry and teleport create for the total cost of two pre epic feats (abj defense, sf lore, again thanks to loremaster).

So, you are a killing machine, you see your enemy is in game, you scry them....and you see they just started dungeon x. You create a portal to take you to say RDI, grab a few fire giants, set up another portal (If you can't just grab them at the portal on the island, you want the best fire giants after all), get to where you know they are coming out of said dungeon. Litter the field with traps, buff your army, set up a ward so they can't lens away, and wait for them to come out so you can give them the proper lip service. Hell, you can even let them start charging you, you have traps all over and an army after all. And then you just start killing.

And honestly, that's not even the most powerful route. I just like enchantment as a school too much. Now a lot of these things a 27/3 wizard ranger could just do on their own, which is why I highlighted what they couldn't, but I think its safe to say that the benefits are way better then the losses.

Anyways, I should just shut up. I just used a normal reward on a character meant on taking advantage of loremaster's power as a five level class, I don't want to loose it. I already "lost" a greater reward on the character that needs to be remade from these changes, but I think eventually I will bite the bullet and bring him back as a remake. I was having a boat load of fun until these changes made him go from bad but for a reason to just bad. Not bitter, just bummed.
Loremaster is actively detrimental to this build, though. You're essentially giving up a pre epic feat (SF lore) and a couple of caster levels for those lowbie QoL loremaster feats you mention.

If you went 26/4 you'd get the same number of epic feats by picking up two epic wizard bonus feats at 23 and 27. 26/4 is a straight upgrade on this build you detailed.
UilliamNebel wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:24 pm
You're right. Participating in the forums was a mistake. Won't do this again.
Anime Sword Fighter wrote: I have seen far too many miniskirt anime slave girls.

Post by Babylon System is the Vampire » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:11 pm

Hunter548 wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:47 pm

If you went 26/4 you'd get the same number of epic feats by picking up two epic wizard bonus feats at 23 and 27. 26/4 is a straight upgrade on this build you detailed.

You would be an epic feat short, but you would gain a pre epic. Also ranger doesn't get disable trap, which imo makes set trap useless. Also Ranger doesn't get leadership, meaning no extra attack per round for your minions.

Wizard specialist is the closest, but again it couldn't get two epic abilities without investing 4 feats. It's only up one epic feat (and a preepic for taking the 20th wizard level in epics) over my build if you remove the abilities from the equation. The free epic skill focus might be good for the traps though.

add on: Also, a free +2 fort and reflex on a wizard is not nothing.

Quidix
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Quidix » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:06 pm

I'm curious how it will feel with many more melees and rangers now having access to CL22 mords - there will be more dispels than before, certainly.

the man with the plan

Post by the man with the plan » Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:59 pm

garrbear758 wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:25 pm
Is it intended that the CL bonus from Loremaster doesn't contribute to Eldritch Blast damage from the Warlock path? According to my testing, it doesn't. The math is (1d6 + 1)*(Caster Level/2).