Henchmen Feedback

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

MageTankTech

Re: Henchmen Feedback

Post by MageTankTech » Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:02 am

I was wondering if someone could give me an idea of how Tribal Warriors compare to the generally available Henchmen as well as Stone Golems. From what I have seen it feels like Tribal warriors are on par with some and lose out altogether to others but I am also not entirely up to speed on the meta knowledge for this server.

And seeing as how going with Tribal Warriors means losing out on Rage Bonuses altogether I would hope they have some sort of significant advantage over Henchmen outside of just being available more often.

Hinty

Post by Hinty » Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:00 pm

The Priestess of Beshaba in the temple in Cordor is pretty much worthless right now.

She requires 21 leadership, which, as a 18 charisma max leadership character I had to wait until level 14 to recruit her, but even with higher charisma and gear for leadership she will still be useless.

She is a level 9 Cleric with 67hp, she wields an Iron War Mace without the proficiency, so her AB is +9/+4 so she wont be hitting anything, and her feat selection is Extra Turning, Brew Potion, Craft Wand, and Scribe Scroll.

Combine that with her utterly bizarre (for Beshaba at least) choice of Healing and Sun domains and the only use she has is as a walking source of cure spells and maybe for turning undead, which at the levels you'll be hiring her you are unlikely to be fighting, and the AI just uses Turn at annoying times anyway leaving you running around chasing fleeing undead that you could easily kill if they just bloody stood still.

mjones3

Post by mjones3 » Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:33 pm

The flaming fist mercenaries change their spawn point to the soul haven portal it looks like. If you have it follow you outside and tell it to stand down it spawns at the portal again.

Brandon Steel

Post by Brandon Steel » Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:48 pm

My use of henchmen thus far has been limited but the dwarf in Brogs tavern oddly loses all his clothing when he dies, at least sometimes. He also seems pretty rough for when you’re able to recruit him. I’ve found that both of the “recruit” henchmen on the other side of the bar both are better and free while being available immediately.

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:20 am

Really surprised that Tariq Memoran in the Nomad isn't a henchman. He's been teasing us for years.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

Scylon

Post by Scylon » Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:40 am

New bug (I think).

I have been using the flaming fist ones a lot lately. They are really good actually with just a few buffs the shave the edge off for getting through runs.

However I am finding when they are dismissed they just puff out of existence. I even tested this by dismissing one in the hall itself where he was hired. he never returned.

Honestly I have found the best was thus far is to just log out and not dismiss him and they'll just lurk around where you logged off. Which is fine, however if killed or dismissed they should go back to their original location.

Quidix
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Quidix » Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:39 am

Henchmen are a godsend to any support-oriented character, and I love them.

There are a few issues worth mentioning:
1) Often they respawn at a portal, rather than back at their original location
2) Often I cannot get into dialogue to dismiss them properly come up (ie I try to clink on them, nothing happens), and so I have to log out for them to leave instead
3) When I crash, they immediately disappear - it would be nice if they lingered for 2-3min before returning to another location (so I could reengage them when logging back in mid-dungeon)

Scylon

Post by Scylon » Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:48 am

Quidix wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:39 am
Henchmen are a godsend to any support-oriented character, and I love them.

There are a few issues worth mentioning:
1) Often they respawn at a portal, rather than back at their original location
2) Often I cannot get into dialogue to dismiss them properly come up (ie I try to clink on them, nothing happens), and so I have to log out for them to leave instead
3) When I crash, they immediately disappear - it would be nice if they lingered for 2-3min before returning to another location (so I could reengage them when logging back in mid-dungeon)
1) not seen this, I'll look around a bit also see if it's doing that for me as well. Might explain where they are poofing to.
3) I have found they will be in the same "area" you were in, but they will be in a random location. Not sure what happens out side towns etc though, I would assume they would die and poof.

Draco

Post by Draco » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:04 am

I'm sad by how little use I've gotten out of the Leadership skill at this point. There are little to no henchmen for 30s to use and even those that do exist you are sorely limited on choice. The "Flaming Fist" mercenaries are the only ones anyone ever talks about and of course, everyone can't have them at once. We need more henchmen, ones not bound by some personal story and background. Are there plans for more henchmen? Are there plans for "generic" henchmen?

Shrouded Wanderer

Post by Shrouded Wanderer » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:16 am

Draco wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:04 am
I'm sad by how little use I've gotten out of the Leadership skill at this point. There are little to no henchmen for 30s to use and even those that do exist you are sorely limited on choice. The "Flaming Fist" mercenaries are the only ones anyone ever talks about and of course, everyone can't have them at once. We need more henchmen, ones not bound by some personal story and background. Are there plans for more henchmen? Are there plans for "generic" henchmen?

Absolutely this

We need some generic, non- named henchies for 30s to use for flavor at the least.

"Mercenary"
"Banite Watchman"
"Helmite Guardsman"
"Lolthite Spiderboi"

Pretty much just some flavor people for leadership focused PCs would be fantastic

Bonus points if we had some NPCs in strategic location thatll hire out hirelings ala Diablo2 for example.