Sencliff Revisited

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

Edens_Fall
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Sencliff Revisited

Post by Edens_Fall » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:21 pm

First, forgive me these ideas below have been mentioned before and I have simply failed to notice them. However after spending some time examining Sencliff and speaking to the few people I can find there three issues presented themselves to me, that I felt worth sharing.

Problem 1:
With the new changes to sailing and ships, ie upgrades, there arises a concern in Sencliff. Currently anyone with ink can rent a ship there, which was fine before, however now poses a problem. As ships can be upgraded and armed now, which requires resources and time, they can also be lost and with them all the effort involved. An example of this would be a crew completely upgrading the “Warship” only to have a new player (Greenhorn) or player from a rival faction as Cordor take the ink, rent the ship and sail it into oblivion (Via Destruction or abandonment). Thus forcing the crew to once again upgrade the ship only to see the cycle repeated. This above issue is also seen with weapons mounted to ships and ammunition stored on board. A newly inked player could rent the ship and empty it of weapons and ammo, frustrating the crew trying to upgrade the vessel in hopes of one day being a pirate threat.

Solution 1:
If possible have the “Warship’s” rental being restricted to Dread Pirates or those of a rank above green horn. This would reduce the risk posed by rival factions sending members to get inked for the sole purpose of getting access to the ship for sabotage (Yes this has happened before I am told). This would leave one ship open to all and one ship more restricted to the players who put in the effort and time to be pirates. That or perhaps add a third ship to the isle, one more built for war/raiding, with the same restrictions while the other two are open to all with ink. This idea would be preferred as with Guld’s opening comes even more ships at sea, leaving the tiny isle even more in a desperate state.

Problem 2:
Current access to Sencliff is very open via multiple routes. The island is not a settlement and unable to bar anyone through means other than brute force. This has led to “Good” factions visiting the isle to collect the names from storage room signs or home signs in order to weed out “pirates” from the mainland.

Solution 2:
As in Dis or above the Feast Hall, move ownership signs into the rooms so outsiders cannot simply walk up with pad and paper to hunt for enemies.

Problem 3:
It’s a common tactic when needing to reach, for example the prions cells on Sencliff, that attacking factions will have a member “take the ink” in order to gain access to otherwise restricted areas to allow the attacking force in.

Solution 3:
Restrict access to such areas as the Locker and Estate to pirate ranks above greenhorn.

Currently the isle of Sencliff appears to be used for shop ownership and storage provided by home ownership. Attempts at crews turning the isle into an outcast paradise are often crush, not only at sea by rival fleets, (Which are fully upgraded, prepared, and out numbing the pirates. A fact even more prominent with Guld’s arrival with her fleet) but on land by the ease of access to their “stronghold”. While I understand the vision behind the isle of Sencliff, the reality is Cordor can match its army onto the isle any time, with little resistance, to smash any grow threat and there is nothing the locals can do but flee and wait for them to leave.

In short Sencliff suffers the same issues as Sibayad, though they lack a Merchant League with whom appeals can be made.

I hope the ideas provided spark thought at the very least. Thank you for the time put into reading these observations!
Last edited by Edens_Fall on Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gouge Away

Re: Sencliff Revisited

Post by Gouge Away » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:07 pm

I'd suggest the place where a new level 2 starting there is dropped be moved a little bit away from the main social gathering/PVP spot.

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:15 pm

Problem 2 & 3 are already addressed. All quarter signs are housed within the quarter itself, and can only be checked when unowned. The jail and the "district house" of Sencliff is only accessible to Crewmate-level or higher. I do agree that we need maybe a few more pirate vessels. 2 within the "district house" for advanced pirates and 2 for low-level writ-taking pirates.

Edens_Fall
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Edens_Fall » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:21 pm

From what I noticed the storage vaults under the Feast Hall still had their owner signs on the outside of the storeroom.

Definitely good to hear about the rest however!

Edens_Fall
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Edens_Fall » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:46 pm

OH! As an added thought, I believe changing the portal on the isle of Sencliff to "exit only" would be beneficial as well.

Currently anyone can "warp" in with a large force of guards, or if we are lucky guards corrupted by the the warp through which they traveled, and cause trouble.

By making the portal only good for leaving the isle and not assaulting, it would add an extra layer of defense for those that call it home.