Outside plot doors, all doors should be reasonable to circumvent.

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

UilliamNebel

Outside plot doors, all doors should be reasonable to circumvent.

Post by UilliamNebel » Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:33 pm

It is a little frustrating, trying to get down to the Underdark, and realizing you never will, because a door's damage absorption is a tad high. I wouldn't mind if it took time, as a soft limiter, like ten minutes or so. But when you have an animal companion at 35str, and a henchmen at 30str, unable to bash through a door, it is a frustration and counter to immersion. What compounds it is killing everything on the path there, to have no key spawn.

I know, the 'bring a rouge/wiz' thinking maybe getting applied here. But would rather prefer if that was the thinking, to not let things be just smash able, to create reasonable alternatives utilizing climb, and the lasso, to have some way of circumventing these situations with a skill investment, rather than blunt 'you failed to party' walls requiring a specific class.

Skarain

Re: Outside plot doors, all doors should be reasonable to circumvent.

Post by Skarain » Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:10 pm

Afaik, if the specific door you refer to lie in a cave with some NPC kobolds, orcs and the like, the door is unlockable without a key. Unless it was changed. I may be wrong.

However, there are at least 3-4 different routes to UD, of which 3 lay on mainland Arelith. That one specific door might be barred so low to mid level characters do not accidentally end up in the Underdark.

In the meanwhile, I suggest looking into the other entrances. Some character will know snd be willing to show the way, or has the key. If the later, you will get a key soon too then, as it always exists on the UD side.

mjones3

Post by mjones3 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:40 pm

Everything's pretty much the opposite of what you are asking right now. For the most part only shortcuts and side rooms can't be bashed and need to be picked, sometimes with a high enough dc that you need more than just 1pt in open lock or it needs gear so the pixie can't get into it.

I think this is fine, it lets a the class that specializes in opening things have a cookie others can't get to.

Ninjimmy

Post by Ninjimmy » Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:42 am

I'm pretty sure I know which door is being referred to and it's far from the only way down to the Underdark, just the quickest way to the lowerdark (though I could be wrong on which door it is)

Without checking, I'm fairly sure Knock scrolls do doors too?
Playing:
Olwin (AKA Olicoros Vrozt Akael Shilligg Jugem Dojj Winzalfur AKA That £$%^ing Wizard)

UilliamNebel

Post by UilliamNebel » Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:45 pm

Have given up on the key hunt. Have way, way too many keys, that open none of these doors I am coming to. And the keys don't come with any clues. I'm actually starting to think keys and locked doors are bugged for me with how nothing key wise dropped in the area, or elsewhere I have opens these. Maybe that is it. But otherwise, not a fan of cluelessly going back to each of these doors, blindly trying a new key when I find when. Just not enough payout for the time and effort, mostly the time, to keep doing that. Will just wait to find someone capable of doing a 'yoink' below, in character, so I can get a portal and circumvent this part of Arelith.

DM Rex

Post by DM Rex » Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:56 pm

Knock scrolls do not affect doors. Only containers.

Hinty

Post by Hinty » Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:04 pm

Knock works on bashable doors.

Doors that can't be bashed open can't be unlocked with the spell.

At least that is how it has been thus far for me. There may be exceptions.

Party in the forest at midnight

Post by Party in the forest at midnight » Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:37 pm

UilliamNebel wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:45 pm
Have given up on the key hunt. Have way, way too many keys, that open none of these doors I am coming to. And the keys don't come with any clues. I'm actually starting to think keys and locked doors are bugged for me with how nothing key wise dropped in the area, or elsewhere I have opens these. Maybe that is it. But otherwise, not a fan of cluelessly going back to each of these doors, blindly trying a new key when I find when. Just not enough payout for the time and effort, mostly the time, to keep doing that. Will just wait to find someone capable of doing a 'yoink' below, in character, so I can get a portal and circumvent this part of Arelith.
Since you're hiring a character, why not find someone able to open the lock? That way you're not circumventing this part of Arelith.

I've not had any issues finding a way into the Underdark, it's actually quite easy to end up down there accidentally.

UilliamNebel

Post by UilliamNebel » Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:08 pm

I've been trying, and I am done with it. From asking people IC about the keys I find, and getting no answers. To the paths having unfun for me design elements in certain areas. I quit on it. Its just not fun to fight your way down to something, beat a challenging encounter, kill every single thing you come across, and come to yet another dead end indestructible door and yet another key with no clue where to use.

For me as a player, it just passed the point of being worth it for the amounts of time and effort not leading to a payoff. I'm not gonna feel like I am missing out on anything here, because the design thus far hasn't given me much reason to want to pursue it. All it has been is an obstacle to my in character goal, hasn't added anything to my Arelith experience as is.

mjones3

Post by mjones3 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:12 pm

Almost all keys are found in the same/general area. For what you're referring to it might just be on the other side of the locked door. The few keys I know about that aren't do contain hints, generally blatant ones, in the name.

UilliamNebel wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:08 pm
...Its just not fun to fight your way down to something, beat a challenging encounter, kill every single thing you come across, and come to yet another dead end indestructible door and yet another key with no clue where to use....
Some doors, and more than likely the one in question are designed to be paths up from the underdark. It's an exit at the end of a dungeon for them, 10 or so levels harder than the area from the surface. Getting stuck on a door might not be fun for you, but I can guarantee you and no one else would enjoy going from a place where they do 10 damage with 2 apr to 20+ at 4 with more than double the ab. It's not meant to be easy for someone of the surface to get through or characters out doing writs/leveling would stumble in and die.

Party in the forest at midnight

Post by Party in the forest at midnight » Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:41 pm

Why are other entries into the Underdark out of the question? I usually take cave travel when I go to the Underdark, I don't teleport in.

chris a gogo

Post by chris a gogo » Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:02 am

The door is the exit from a mid level dungeon to the surface server the key is on the underdark side of it.

So here's what you do go find another way into the underdark fight through much more dangerous monsters and possible PvP encounters, complete said dungeon grab the key and walk back up into the low level dungeon above it.

Problem solved you have gotten through a door that seems to be a major gripe for you.

Lexx

Post by Lexx » Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:47 pm

Frankly I disagree. If your character is hitting a roadblock with this door then you should probably be finding other means or come back when you do get answers IC or help from someone who can get you past. No man is an island.

Ninjimmy

Post by Ninjimmy » Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:52 pm

So, top of my head, I can think of three/four ways down to the Underdark, two need keys and the other two definitely don't.

If your character wants to get down into the Underdark just ask someone who looks well travelled how to get down there, there's loads of routes.
Playing:
Olwin (AKA Olicoros Vrozt Akael Shilligg Jugem Dojj Winzalfur AKA That £$%^ing Wizard)

UilliamNebel

Post by UilliamNebel » Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:09 pm

Ninjimmy wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:52 pm
So, top of my head, I can think of three/four ways down to the Underdark, two need keys and the other two definitely don't.

If your character wants to get down into the Underdark just ask someone who looks well travelled how to get down there, there's loads of routes.
I really appreciate this advice, I do. But so far, it has not worked. Have asked, literal dozens, 'Know where this key goes', or 'Hey how can I get down there?' And it just hasn't panned out. Going to try another two routes I've been told IC by ones my character trust. But also know those will be challenging, PvPish, and rando if passable due to mob dispersing and type as any straight forward way has 'True Seeing' or otherwise feat having monsters. Which is fine, that is sort of a ranger infiltrator type of challenge. Did it fine enough when the Stonehold was the way down, and the PvP aspect for an infiltrator going either way was a lot trickier. Just finding now that sort of challenge no longer seems to exist, and that you are hard gated with a key hunt that requires very specific IC knowledge, and no really actionable clues from the keys themselves.