Ranger's runic vestment: Barkskin use.

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Tranquility

Ranger's runic vestment: Barkskin use.

Post by Tranquility » Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:26 pm

Perhaps I should start with saying, I don't mind the AC change on the armor. But the barkskin use on it feels useless now rangers get barkskin to +5 as a spell. My toon has not used the armor's spell since it got barkskin in its spellbook.

It seems the barkskin use on the armor is more useful for ranger dips now, than for focused rangers.

Consider changing the barkskin use with a bonus lvl 2 or 3 spell slot, or both, it would make it more appealing to focused rangers and a little less so to ranger dips.

The Hazards of Love

Re: Ranger's runic vestment: Barkskin use.

Post by The Hazards of Love » Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:56 pm

No one should actually be casting on a ranger, not even a deep ranger. It makes you into dispel bait. Thus the barkskin is still useful and I don't think the AC value should actually have been changed.

Zavandar

Post by Zavandar » Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:58 pm

archer rangers aren't incentivized to cast. they can keep 30 cl vs dispels and just umd everything they need

as such, a change like this only affects dex melee rangers, since they are strongly encouraged to cast blade thirst (like the 27/3 monk), for whom the nerf was intended. giving them extra spells is a buff

i agree that the barkskin on the shirt really only serves to help ranger dips on not using barkskin wands, but that's already what it did anyway prior to rangers getting barkskin in their spellbook
Intelligence is too important

mjones3

Post by mjones3 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:46 pm

Zavandar wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:58 pm
as such, a change like this only affects dex melee rangers, since they are strongly encouraged to cast blade thirst (like the 27/3 monk), for whom the nerf was intended. giving them extra spells is a buff

I dunno its helped out my STR based Ranger/Loremaster a good deal.

As for the change in AC it brought it in line with every other cloth armor out there. Now ranger monks don't get more AC, DI, and damage over normal monks, just DI and Damage.

Zavandar

Post by Zavandar » Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:06 am

mjones3 wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:46 pm
Zavandar wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:58 pm

I dunno its helped out my STR based Ranger/Loremaster a good deal.

As for the change in AC it brought it in line with every other cloth armor out there. Now ranger monks don't get more AC, DI, and damage over normal monks, just DI and Damage.
you're not using the ranger shirt on your STR ranger are you?
Intelligence is too important

mjones3

Post by mjones3 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:31 am

No but I am casting the extra spells that you were saying is only a buff for dex melee rangers?

Flower Power

Post by Flower Power » Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:33 am

Even if you don't use it for yourself, it's still a free barkskin wand use for one of your buddies since you have extremely limited L2 spellslots and will want to GSF Zoo-buff yourself.
what would fred rogers do?