Discussion on Gold

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

CNS

Discussion on Gold

Post by CNS » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:17 am

Iron notably doesn't discuss the exact details of changes to loot and gold publicly due to how likely it is such information will be gamed. However, it’s fairly clear (and I think confirmed from the team) that a fairly significant change to how much gold is available through killing monsters both in gold and potentially the loot they drop was implemented somewhere around November 2020.

Given it's been a few months and the changes have not only had time to settle but people have had a chance to play different types of characters in the new environment at different level ranges I thought it might be good to relook at the effects these changes have had. If possible, I'd like to keep this thread to a collection of experiences and observations, it is feedback after all and not get into back and forth about what the right or wrong way to change this part of the game might be.

My own observations

In this timeframe I've played three characters:
  • A Warlock to mid 20's in the Underdark
  • A shadow-dancer to late teens on the surface
  • Currently playing a Barbarian in the Underdark, as I write this, very early teens.
My previous experience (pre-change) was that no matter what you were levelling, gold was fine. Sure, there were a few pinch points in some builds or classes where you need to save for a key item or that took a little to get going. But no matter how you progressed your character; by level 10 you'd have what you needed and be stable with a little in the bank, by 15 or so you'd be starting to build significant savings and by 20 and into epics you had significant gold that would mean by 30 you could expect to have, not perfect 5%'s, but very good gear and a healthy bank account measuring in the hundreds of thousands.

This is based on having fun, doing whatever writs I felt like doing, spending a lot of time roleplaying with people and sometimes having a grind. You could absolutely optimise and get a lot more gold in a shorter timeframe if you wanted to.

Experiences and observations from the new system
Class and build have a huge impact on gold and some are close to breaking point
A gold tier list exists, classes with both healing, native buffs and that level through summons (or use summons but don't care for healing) such as warlocks, many clerics and potentially Druids, have no problems with gold. Closely following this are other summon based classes and classes that provide relevant buffs native to their class such as Wizards.

These classes tend not to be gear dependant, certainly not for expensive gear, to level. By the time I rolled the warlock it was still wearing basic bonze chain with a +1 AC from a basin that it made at like level 4 or 5. They don't have major expenses in equipment, provide most or all their own buffs to themselves and their summons and the summons themselves cost nothing but do the majority of the heavy lifting.

The gold situation feels tighter than before, but is still flush.

Then we get to more mundane melee's (I can't talk about archers as I don't play them), where again a smaller division exists. Dexterity and summon based melees (Shadowdancer, blackguards) have a much harder time than the caster-based classes above, but still suffer more than the above primarily due to having to spend gold for required buffs and healing but not having to convert quite as much GP into HP via healing kits or potions and having a less painful gear ramp.

Which leaves us with the poorest of the poor, strength melee.
Equipment for strength characters is expensive and has to be upgraded incrementally. Full plate, tower shield, helms, weapons and so on. You are desperate for each additional +1AC or AB and each level of upgrade costs an order of magnitude more than the last.
You have to purchase every buff, from barkskin to zoo buffs, and you need to actually use many of them to do the dungeons and writs appropriate for your level.
You get hit more and have to turn GP into your HP via heal kits or potions.

The gold reduction has hit strength melee particularly hard.

I'm a decent player at NWN. I understand the mechanics and I'm naturally an optimiser. I've played NWN for close to 20 years, I've levelled a lot of characters on Arelith and know the PvE content really well. I enjoy squeezing every last % out of my characters mechanical capability.

I have really struggled to keep the Barbarian going. I can't just take any writ I enjoy; I have to select for writs that will deliver enough profit to cover the costs it takes to be able to do it, I have to be incredibly selective about where I grind to ensure it has a positive return. It’s hard to keep your head above water right now.

I don't mind a challenge but I recognise most players don't approach the game like me, most players don't track the exact times each potion lasts and ensure they save 80GP by drinking the next zoo at 17 minutes and 30 seconds. I have no idea how they are expected to do well with a build that is going to struggle on gold while facing into the incremental gear checks the server presents.

Epics are grinding lower-level writ content
I noticed in some previous thread that Iron stated this is something the team wanted to avoid. But the changes have driven this particular behaviour. As I've been levelling, I'm forced to pick writs I know deliver a good gold value to keep my characters head above water. In these areas I have been bumping into a large amount of epic level characters who are running it as a source of gold.

Thankfully, every single one I've personally bumped into has been considerate enough to leave and let the level appropriate character do their writs, which I think does speak well of the community.

But the logic behind their decision can't really be faulted. The result of the changes appears to have squeezed the gold earned from epic dungeons and running something 20 levels below you close enough that taking the risk of doing something more level appropriate (and burning the resources to complete it) is no longer worthwhile compared to strolling through the under-level content. As such we've got a system that's pushing those levelling into the same few areas that provide a positive gold return (it’s not just straight positive return, it’s having to build towards the next level of equipment required so you can do the next level range of writs) as those who are trying to attain gold at higher levels.

Conclusion
Perhaps I've lost my touch and everyone else is getting along fine? Either way I think it'd be worthwhile collecting experiences to inform the team. I’ve been lucky enough to find a few groups (I play in a rather quiet time zone) and a very lucky loot drop to keep on track and able to progress. But the worrying thing is, if I didn’t, I’d be forced into being a mid-level grinding and overcrowding a low-level spot purely for the gold to get to a point I could go out and do level appropriate content and I can’t believe that’s the intention here.

Curve

Re: Discussion on Gold

Post by Curve » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:25 pm

I like less gold. My characters have to hussle, take jobs, beg, borrow, and steal to stay up on gear and consumables. I find that as want goes up so does my character investment. Inversely as want goes down so does my character investment.

Resource scarcity makes everything more valuable. It may hurt for a minute but in the long run it’s the best move.

Archnon

Post by Archnon » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:38 pm

I agree with pretty much everything expressed here. That begins said, the time change coming down the pipe will be great to alleviate some of this by making zoo buffs and barkskin last longer. I have also noticed the epics grinding lower level circles and my guess is it has to do with chests. If you want to make a quick 10k, your best bet is to grind something you don't have to buff for tht has a lot of chests.

Overall, other than the epics moving to lower range, I don't necessarily disagree with these changes though. I almost wish some things would get harder to get like dweomercraft. The RP has fallen out there with everyone and their dog hitting tier 3. Things that could help qol might be alchemy or herbalism pots tht mimic more extended duration buffs as an alternative to caster made pots. Or making caster made pots cheaper. But overall, I'm not totally opposed to having to work a little harder to get tht late phase gear.

chris a gogo

Post by chris a gogo » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:50 pm

Ive never had trouble getting gold.
My current is a true flame and ive paid for every top tier piece of gear from shops instead of having it made including a couple of runes and i still have over 300k in the bank, plus ive been giving around half the gold i make to a faction, all this is made via adventuring I use standard potions and then player made ones(which i buy) to get max buffs every time I leave the city.
I use around 30-40 healing kits each time also.

So my spend before going out to do anything is around 4-5k more if i intend to use a portal lens and higher tier spells and I still make a profit of around 10k each time.

Getting gold does not seem to be an issue in my experience.

The Impregnable Derp

Post by The Impregnable Derp » Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:04 pm

I agree with pretty much everything the OP has written. It is a very well put together post. My two STR melee characters both had over a million gold worth of gear when I rolled them. My casters didn't even really need gear. And guess which of my characters earned the most gold and spent the least? Divine Casters in particular have it the easiest. Warlock is also pretty easy to gear and solo with. DEX melee used to be saddled with a tough time early leveling due to a lack of damage but that can probably now be completely bypassed with a Normal Reward so they start at level 14. I've mostly found the STR Melee WM builds to be really good for PVP but that they struggle to solo end-game PVE content without spending more on consumables than you make. This means unlike DEX melee, archers, casters, and pretty much everyone else, that they have to farm enough gold to buy all of their end-game gear or the components to make it, instead of just going and farming the adamantine and tier 3 runics and such themselves. And this is why we are seeing epics farming low level dungeons for gold.

Dreams

Post by Dreams » Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:55 pm

Scarcity is a good thing. Just sucks along the way, but maybe that will make your character a little more desperate. Characters can fight over loot, get stingey or alternatively rise above it and be generous.

RP only starts at 30 if you're a coward.

Rico_scorpion

Post by Rico_scorpion » Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:27 pm

Hey,

My empirical observations are near identical to the OP.
One thing that wasn't mentionned: The introduction of new endgame gear (which by itself is godsent, real sincere kudo to the team), created even more pressure on adamantium and mithril dust. So not only do we make MUCH less gold, but the individual cost of each ingredient that are so important to str-melee, also went significantly up. All in all, while leveling str-melees, I've never felt that much that "oh boy, i will never manage to get what i want" and I've never been so picky about what I take from shops in order to save every coins. No more buying something that is just a "sidegrade". The way I see the value of coins/costs of items has definitely drastically changed on mundane melee characters.

However, I'm not saying it's bad. Like one of the posts above, by being poorer the individual value of each item/earned coins go up, and with it, the feeling of progression and the pleasure of finally buying that top notch upgrade is also greater. So there's clear-cut goodness in that change (for those with the time available to invest... so some gatekeeping there, like in any mmo formula). Good player frustration.

In conclusion, I only see four side-issues with current situation, which is by itself 'fine' in my book (as in: my personal opinion/experience):

- I know Arelith-surface like the back of my hand, the game too, and I'm a min maxer (always off-meta though). If I struggle just a little with str-melees, then noobs, beginners, and "midcore" players will clearly have their head below-water, and probably not even realize it and have their teeth kicked in by pve content (if trying to solo/duo that is)

- PVE content gets harder and harder every year. There is real, measurable, power creep on that side. Irongron if you're reading this, maybe it's on purpose (and if it is i'm not saying it's an issue), but if it's not (that can happen, no biggie!), I think we should open a community discussion about it. To name a few examples: Guldorand pve content at level 14 on a str-melee with only 30k gold for start, is a death wish (change my mind!). Or the new treants in FoD... which again, for level-appropriate melee fighters, are death-sentences. So PVE getting harder might or might not be an issue, but associated with melee-str being below-curve gearwise, I feel that's too much pressure for that archetype.

- Still for melee-str: Epic/low epic gear has crazy crafting DC which generally means you will have to buy your end stuff from shops, adding to the coins pressure. Midlevel gear (15-20) is either non existant to keep you on curve or have bloated crafting DC which means you have to buy from shop or skip altogether to get the endgame stuff. Example: M.Damask Lance is 53 crafting carpentry, and the two new uber lances are also 53 carpentry. Which encourages player to skip M.Damask at level 16 to save for the uber ones materials. Same logic for Adamantine heavy armor vs the new class-locked heavy armors.

- Discrepancies between archetypes. Str-melee was left behind in meta, so devs added gear for them to bridge de gap a bit with dex. Cool! Except now str is way more expensive than dex. This is not a complaint but a real sideeffect. And now compare druid to str melee... urgh... the cost difference for gearing might be something like 1 for 100 (basic basin for an early epic druid is just fine, vs all you need to be on curve for an early epic str meleer). I think those discrepancies are a tad problematic, but suggestions to fix them are clearly off topic!

My two cents!

Cheers.
Last edited by Rico_scorpion on Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:40 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Lexx

Post by Lexx » Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:29 pm

Every character I've levelled since the changes have always had anywhere from 200k-500k in the bank by 20 on top of gear and running expenses. Honestly I feel conversely over strength melee. Carry weight = ability to make money. Being able to pick up and sell resources people normally neglect and sell to players or settlements makes a large passive income. Not to mention the ability to carry more loot in general before selling in a city. It's usually inventory space that caps my runs more than anything unless I am hauling stone at an earlier level. Which is in itself bread and butter for str melees to make gold.

Babylon System is the Vampire

Post by Babylon System is the Vampire » Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:11 pm

This is a tricky subject to approach on the forums for me, because while I agree that the gold shift completely targeted the wrong things and only hurt newer players/casuals who never bothered to learn how to generate insane amounts of gold while being nothing but a *shrug* for vets/those who do know how to get a bunch of gold, a fair bit of the assumptions made in this thread are wrong as to why. But I also feel like correcting you is giving you the keys to easy wealth when its clear the powers that be want to cut down on that, which doesn't sound like a good idea. So what I am going to do is give some vague tips instead combined with stuff you can find on the wiki:

-Pick up everything you come across at least once, see what it sells for at the peddler. You will be surprised by some of it, especially things that are just random resources laying around.

-Boosting your appraise even with just appraise gear when selling adds up to quite a bit over time, it really is worth it to take those two seconds to rearrange your gear for this.

-There are cheap scrolls that boost your ac quite a bit, and with lore being a class for everyone ensures anyone can use them. Spending 3-400 coin on scrolls and only having to use 10 kits on a writ instead of 50 kits is profit for you.

-Search boosts your chances of finding something extra. Sometimes that may just be another amulet or potion you don't need, so it may seem useless, but those things have value when you sell out. It adds up over time. Sometimes its the difference between finding two essences and 500 gold in a chest and finding two essences, 500 gold, and something like mithril dust in a chest, and while that's not going to happen a lot its likely to happen at least a few times in a characters life time if you have a decent search.

-Learn the value of stuff on the secondary market. Things that boost skills for example higher then you could in the basin may seem "Meh" because they don't add any ability, but skills can be added to it in the basin making that loot premium for certain builds. Not everything like this is worth anything on the secondary market, it really depends on the current build meta, but do the research before you just dump it to a npc merchant.

And for any dev, dm, or admin that is reading this and wants to have a serious conversation on how to cut back on the gold in take, I am happy to help. Just understand that if you push it too hard you are going to stop people from ever wanting to start new characters because they can never attain the wealth of the characters they currently have creating a world of haves and have nots. And if you pay attention to my gold, and say "well that's not that much, he probably doesn't know what he is talking about" know that I don't circle grind or spam the easy gold stuff, I just grab it as I go naturally. I could easily turn the 5 mil or so I gather over the life of a six month character into 40 million if I were willing to cheese it :)

Diegovog

Post by Diegovog » Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:06 pm

I'll be honest. I know how to make gold in ways that most new people don't know. I also have a good knowledge of market prices so I can be extremely picky when buying gear and consumables. Still, I have had a lot of struggle on my newest character (no appraise/search) to be able to properly gear. I don't think the market has yet adapted to the much lower gold drop so prices on things like adamantine is way too high for the new batch of characters coming.

Without considering the slowly shifting player market, one of the problem I've been having is keeping up with consumables without wasting a good portion of my earned gold.

I would like to suggest reducing the cost of making potions such as shield, mage armor, shadow conjuration, animal buffs, barkskin.
That way players who make potions can reduce prices and in turn help leveling characters. And that also improves the player-run market instead of having people relying on buying NPC potions.
Shield potion is particularly bad when it's brewed, it's not improved, it's still 3CL and costs 750 to make 10 of them. So if you try to sell them in your shop at competitive prices to the NPCs you're profiting mere 50gold per 10 pots. Which makes it not even worth the shop slot.
It would be a positive change to see a reduction on cost of making:
Animal Buffs
Shadow Conjuration
Barkskin
(that way they are improved versions of the ones the NPCs sell but they are competitive enough prices so that pre-epic characters consider buying them)

And an increase in the caster level of player-made potions:
Shield
Mage Armor
(that way shield is better than the NPCs one and worth buying from PCs)

thimblegiant
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by thimblegiant » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:36 pm

Diegovog wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:06 pm
I don't think the market has yet adapted to the much lower gold drop so prices on things like adamantine is way too high for the new batch of characters coming.
This happens in other, real economies too (specifically thinking about the speculation market, such as ebay). When the market for a particular item settles at a certain price it takes forever for it to adjust downward, but unlike RL, the external pressures normally placed on a person to eventually sell don't exist to the same extent so Arelith prices actually may never come down. All it takes is surprisingly few people to cave and buy at the high price and as long as the knowledge is public the price will never drop. In addition, on Arelith there is never market saturation for the high end items because of character turnover, taking their gear with them to get that higher sacrifice reward. I understand this is by design.

If the prices don't drop, then only the people who own shops or those that know the server's secrets can afford to buy from each other, creating a wide gap for people on the outside to cross.

Personally I'm always broke. I'm at the point where I have scraped one way or another to nearly mid-tier on all items but unless I can cross the gap mentioned above I'll be stuck gear wise. Currently I'm actually fine with that because I still have drive to hunt down the secrets so I still find the chase interesting. I know a few, but even if I were to fully leverage them (or do lame kindergarten runs in the low areas), I'm still a long way from those numbers I see being thrown about.

One more thought. With the increased player base at nearly all hours it is not uncommon to hit a dungeon that was just previously looted or conversely running into an incoming party on the way out, meaning potentially less to go around. Maybe writs should include a tee time was well - har har.

Red_Wharf

Post by Red_Wharf » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:16 pm

My problem with the last gold nerfs is that already established characters and factions with fortunes spread across several accounts are not affected by it at all, while new characters get the shortest end of the stick and are forced to interact with a slowly adapting economy that doesn't care about their measly dungeon crawl gains. If we got more skill points, then perhaps it would be easier for some builds to interact with gold making skills like Appraise and Leadership.

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:53 am

Very interesting thread and a lot of good stuff to read.

For me, it's always been about the *gap* between different players (with different resources, playing time, playstyle and ooc friendships) and I will explain why.

I look back at the server before writ times and before adventure exp times and leveling was much slower, gear also required lvl 21 to use in many cases, there were no runes in the game and the fact it took about 3 months to gear a character wasnt such a big deal because it took 6 months to get a character to lvl 30. And it wasnt particularly felt if the guy next to me has 10mil because I was getting my gear on time anyway. So I dont *really* have a big problem with pve gold income in that sense.

The problem is that players who got the headstart of ooc buddies (myself included, when I choose to make concepts with them) get a much much easier times gearing themselves. An entire faction only needs a single shop in a really good location (and the more established ones can have 3-4 shops in good locations and some currently do) and they will be milioners and gear all their members swiftly and new characters joining will have mithril stuff or even addy stuff thrown at them very soon. This really hurts the casual player and punishes them for not teaming up with people oocly, and they will see people around them level and gear much faster than them, which is off-putting when it's for these reasons.

My idea for solution?
Not a *perfect* solution by any means but I would definitely start by
1) toning down the difficulty to obtain ingredients for high end gear.
2) bring back lvl requirement to high end gear.
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

Party in the forest at midnight

Post by Party in the forest at midnight » Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:10 am

AstralUniverse wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:53 am
The problem is that players who got the headstart of ooc buddies (myself included, when I choose to make concepts with them) get a much much easier times gearing themselves. An entire faction only needs a single shop in a really good location and they will be milioners and gear all their memebers swiftly and new characters joining will have mithril stuff or even addy stuff thrown at them very soon. This really hurts the casual player and punishes them for not teaming up with people oocly, and they will see people around them level and gear much faster than them, which is off-putting when it's for these reasons.
Honestly this sounds like the ideal situation, one successful shop and people are able to do a lot with it, a lot of people coming together to keep it stocked with desirable things. And people spreading resources around rather than hoarding it all. And I don't think people need to team up OOC either, just make friends. Join a faction, or make a faction and find people to do stuff with.

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:27 am

Party in the forest at midnight wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:10 am
AstralUniverse wrote:
The problem is that players who got the headstart of ooc buddies (myself included, when I choose to make concepts with them) get a much much easier times gearing themselves. An entire faction only needs a single shop in a really good location and they will be milioners and gear all their memebers swiftly and new characters joining will have mithril stuff or even addy stuff thrown at them very soon. This really hurts the casual player and punishes them for not teaming up with people oocly, and they will see people around them level and gear much faster than them, which is off-putting when it's for these reasons.
Honestly this sounds like the ideal situation, one successful shop and people are able to do a lot with it, a lot of people coming together to keep it stocked with desirable things. And people spreading resources around rather than hoarding it all. And I don't think people need to team up OOC either, just make friends. Join a faction, or make a faction and find people to do stuff with.
I dont think "forcing" players to join long time existing well established factions to keep up with the server economy is a good solution.
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

Xarge VI

Post by Xarge VI » Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:01 am

You can always join a well established faction/settlement and ditch them when you get what you want. Although I personally dislike factions directly gearing up their new members (equipment should be given out as rewards for initiative/proven loyalty) I don't think situations should be fair.

Good stories are made out of positions of imbalance.

I think it's great that the amount of gold gained from grinding is decreased. And it goes the other way too, from 'forcing' people to join well established factions because I remember a time when infiltrating/spying/betraying was actually an enticing prospect. Allowing such acts not always be evil cultistry, but something characters of morally grayish alignment could do for that juicy Mdamask sword or an adamant helmet and then feel bad about it.

Lexx

Post by Lexx » Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:16 am

The gold crunch itself only really hurt new characters as others pointed out. It just made grinding more of a necessity to gear out fully whilst still having a good bank balance at the end of it. Also just like trickle down economics. The majority of established characters with shops won't likely adjust their prices lower any time soon. Even basic containers. The building blocks of making gold. Have been seeing an upward trend in price despite no change to the cost to making them.

That being said. With some effort. Gold is still easy to make if you're build savvy or are willing to put the effort in with crafting or resource grind. The beginning to mid levels you'll always be cash poor. But the further into teens and later epics. Once you start ticking off gear slots with good gear your gold making potential in PvE ups dramatically. A character I was levelling in a duo just last night made 40k each in space of 2 hours at mid teens doing dungeons. With gems/resources not included.

Fatality
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Fatality » Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:36 am

I don't think gold is that difficult to make. Maybe I just don't understand things? I'm at level 13 and have around 200k gold from doing writs and just killing things.

Babylon System is the Vampire

Post by Babylon System is the Vampire » Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:59 am

AstralUniverse wrote:
I look back at the server before writ times and before adventure exp times and leveling was much slower, gear also required lvl 21 to use in many cases, there were no runes in the game and the fact it took about 3 months to gear a character wasnt such a big deal because it took 6 months to get a character to lvl 30.
I do think there is something to this. I have come across multiple players that I liked enough to talk to in tells here and there that said their goal was to rush to thirty and spam epic dungeons for runic loot to get rich. I never thought to question them because I have actually only been 30 once out of about 10 characters, so I figured maybe it was true? It did seem like a dubious plan though. I feel like you need to be constantly thinking about your spending and gold intake from level 3 on these days or you will find yourself in dungeons way above your gear level.

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:42 am

Diegovog wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:06 pm
I'll be honest. I know how to make gold in ways that most new people don't know. I also have a good knowledge of market prices so I can be extremely picky when buying gear and consumables. Still, I have had a lot of struggle on my newest character (no appraise/search) to be able to properly gear. I don't think the market has yet adapted to the much lower gold drop so prices on things like adamantine is way too high for the new batch of characters coming.

Without considering the slowly shifting player market, one of the problem I've been having is keeping up with consumables without wasting a good portion of my earned gold.

I would like to suggest reducing the cost of making potions such as shield, mage armor, shadow conjuration, animal buffs, barkskin.
That way players who make potions can reduce prices and in turn help leveling characters. And that also improves the player-run market instead of having people relying on buying NPC potions.
Shield potion is particularly bad when it's brewed, it's not improved, it's still 3CL and costs 750 to make 10 of them. So if you try to sell them in your shop at competitive prices to the NPCs you're profiting mere 50gold per 10 pots. Which makes it not even worth the shop slot.
It would be a positive change to see a reduction on cost of making:
Animal Buffs
Shadow Conjuration
Barkskin
(that way they are improved versions of the ones the NPCs sell but they are competitive enough prices so that pre-epic characters consider buying them)

And an increase in the caster level of player-made potions:
Shield
Mage Armor
(that way shield is better than the NPCs one and worth buying from PCs)
I relate to this post very much for many reasons. I mostly feel the same way.

I must agree about mage armor and shield specifically. A scroll of shield or ma costs 50 gold and requires 5 lore to read. A potion of shield from an evil npc costs 28 gp. so I very much agree that the making costs of these two particular buffs could be lowered or their CL for PC crafted consumables could be raised a bit.

As for barkskin and zoo buffs, I think their prices will be fine once the server's time scale turns to 1:3 ratio soon.
Svrtr wrote:

jomonog

Post by jomonog » Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:44 am

I dont mind lower gold from grinding but think there should be a corresponding decrease in costs of scribing scrolls/making pots and dweomering. Builds that need one or two hard 5% for end game gear can really feel the reduction particularly if you have a run of bad luck at the basin.

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:18 pm

jomonog wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:44 am
I dont mind lower gold from grinding but think there should be a corresponding decrease in costs of scribing scrolls/making pots and dweomering. Builds that need one or two hard 5% for end game gear can really feel the reduction particularly if you have a run of bad luck at the basin.
To be fair, the reason people started building for hard 5% as a requirement of the build was because gold was ubiquitous enough that you could easily affort to throw away 50+ wasted attempts to get the desired optimal gear.

AlonelyBard

Post by AlonelyBard » Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:55 pm

On my time on this server, I have solely played STR Melee builds, and I have especially felt this crunch on gold.
I speak OOC all the time with friends that I've made here and it seems to be that STR Melee hits something of a wall at about level 12(On surface at the very least, I have much less experience in UD Leveling or Skal Leveling)
This happens to also be when Full Casters have access to their most useful spells, Summon monster hits huge elementals, who can simply run through "on level" content with little issue.

I bring this up because the disparity really hits in these levels, and STR Melee are really forced to either begin investing in Wands(Which they might not have access to yet, as it requires UMD or a Divine class) or Potions, both of which nibble away at any income you might receive from doing writs or running through dungeon content. I've leveled with plenty of people who simply soar past me in leveling speed because of their soloing potential, most all of them are casters, as even Dex builds still have issues prior to getting their final gear. With little Solo Potential on STR Melee characters, who have no reliable sustain outside of healing kits, and have lower saves (On the ones that matter anyways, tough to care about Fortitude saves in an PVE situation).
I will preface this by saying that I completely understand the desire to dismiss all arguments on this matter by just saying, "Group up" , or "Invest in Search", there is massive disparity in Skill choices for STR Melee as well, Fighter still recieve the measly two ranks per level. This is no where near enough to simply take search as we wish, STR characters need to focus on discipline, and save up for the tumble dump, and more often than not for solo players, Crafting Mastery.

All of this was painful, but more easily controlled with the amount of gold one had, if you could afford the wands and potions, you'd be fine. However, often as a STR Melee you'll be barely breaking even on your bank account. Sibayad Tombs is a clear option, given by a multitude of people for leveling in the mid-teens to early epics. However, you make nearly no money to warrant even going into these dungeons anymore, haste wands provide the biggest benefit to STR Melee, you hit more often and you get a nice +4 AC, which for a STR build, is the difference between getting hit 20 times in an encounter or twice.
The usual going rate for a haste wand is 8k, which usually has ~40 charges, let's be generous and say that you'll only use the wand 10 times per journey through the Sib Tombs. that's 4 clears. which with no search, and no appraise(Remember, fighters get 2+int per level) You'll only recieve about 4k from the found jewelry and scrolls, another 1.5k through found magic items(With no appraise, you'll be limited to around 200 gold per item) and a whopping 1.5k for the writ. which obviously doesn't even cover the cost of the wand. Let alone any other items that you've been having to use, like bless weapon scrolls.

In my opinion, the lack of gold DOES hurt the STR Melee players the most, who already have a struggle leveling in these tiers, thanks to what I would consider to be over-statted enemies, but the wands and buffs are solely a band-aid for these builds, they just aren't able to do enough in a non-PvP environment, especially on their own. Unlike the powerhouses that are Full Casters and Dexbuilds for PvE.

chris a gogo

Post by chris a gogo » Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:10 am

I just don't get where this lack of gold is coming from.

The simple rule of NWN no matter what server you play on or what character you play is not getting hit is better than healing, so you invest in the best buffs and you invest in concealment, AC and DR.
Every single melee character can buy a scroll for 705 gold and have imp invis on whenever they need it, you don't need UMD just put points into lore no need for wands when scrolls can be used and potions bought that last 15 game hours.

You can make 10k in Cordor in a single dungeon from around level 6 with a strength based character if you use buffs.
Don't scrimp on buffs and the game is so much easier.

Diegovog

Post by Diegovog » Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:19 am

There are some top tier STR builds, but I understand your feeling, STR in general is getting some work done by the devs.
As it was mentioned by Lexx, carry weight is pretty big when it comes to making gold and that is 100% true.

It's not a secret that STR builds with average AC go through more healing kits than high AC dex builds or mages. That in itself isn't a problem. The issue lies in you having to waste most of your earned gold in consumables, which I think could go through some tweaking in light of the gold nerf as previously suggested.