Major favor when affected by a unfavorable state or unconscious

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Cabarcos
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Major favor when affected by a unfavorable state or unconscious

Post by Cabarcos » Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:57 pm

When you have been affected by paralysis or some mind affecting spells, if you pray to your god usually the effects are removed and sometimes you are healed, but usually not.
When you are unconscious, maybe you should be unable to pray because of that, usually even with a major favor you die because you continue bleeding. It had happened to me several times, and the last one I think I had no effect on me, maybe the stench from the troglodytes, not sure.
To me most of the times looks like your god is playing with you. Maybe with the last one, it's because Tymora is mischievous.

AstralUniverse

Re: Major favor when affected by a unfavorable state or unconscious

Post by AstralUniverse » Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:44 pm

Yeah I really dont like that mecahnic as well. Pray should be disabled when unconscious if only to prevent wasting it in a laggy moment.
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

RedGiant

Post by RedGiant » Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:50 am

Conversely, it would be nice if the god saves worked the same way for unconsciousness as they did for killing damage? I dont think they currently do. Started a new true flame awhile back so had extensive dying experience, and I dont recall it ever firing when I dropped to unconscious but not dead levels.
The GrumpyCat wrote:I CLICK THE HOSTIBLE BUTTON NOW U ARE DED!
Irongron wrote:The slaughter, i am afraid, will not abate.

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:47 am

RedGiant wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:50 am
Conversely, it would be nice if the god saves worked the same way for unconsciousness as they did for killing damage? I dont think they currently do. Started a new true flame awhile back so had extensive dying experience, and I dont recall it ever firing when I dropped to unconscious but not dead levels.
Because it doesnt. And you might be right. I dont know what makes more sense at this point - to disable it for unconscious because it shouldnt work for unconscious PCs, or enable it all together and make it heal hp for unconscious PCs. Currently it is not disabled but it does not heal any HP so it is a lose-lose situation and easily wasted due to lags.
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

Hazard

Post by Hazard » Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:15 pm

Makes about as much sense as people using it in pvp while their character is totally incapable of praying, or just running around and hotkeying it for a quick reset.

I dislike this mechanic and would love to see it gone entirely.
It really contributes a lot to the moba feel I'd like to see moved away from, as much as possible.

Halibutthead

Post by Halibutthead » Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:01 pm

I'm also not a fan of this mechanic. I have used it maybe a dozen times in as many years here. I can say with limited authority that it is perfectly possible to get through any content without it

ElvenEdibles

Post by ElvenEdibles » Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:02 pm

I think it should be disabled when unconscious. I strongly disagree with it being removed, however.

Anomandaris

Post by Anomandaris » Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:25 am

Hazard wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:15 pm
I dislike this mechanic and would love to see it gone entirely.
It really contributes a lot to the moba feel I'd like to see moved away from, as much as possible.
Yes,this 100%. The MOBA dynamic has grown. All these active abilities on CD are making it seem more and more like an Arena PvP server or MOBA than an RPG sandbox.

Some of the stuff definitely is "cool" but there's a constant focus on balancing to within %s and it seems a cultural server trend. I imagine str changes will continue to come in a desire to fill the perceived gap between str & dex/other builds, even though Str & tank builds are incredibly effective in current meta, hence all the barbs running around doing very well. They don't have as many "shiny buttons" to press though...

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:17 am

I don't really have a lot of nice things to say about this conversation. I find that the discussions herein are aimed at a frustration around "more buttons", but the posters in here have historically been mage players - who happen to have a lot of buttons. Melee can get monotonous and without interesting dynamics that shift play, they stay stagnant. I don't know about you but, if I wanted to left click, I'd be playing Diablo2.

And, the future editions of D&D agree with my stance. More options, more abilities, more dynamics = good game play. Look at pathfinder or any other edition that improved upon 3.5E & you'll see that fighters aren't just attacking.

Anyways, -pray has been around for well before a large swath of mechanic changes have happened and it has been nerfed. I'd be tickled pink if the posters chagrinning about -pray didn't also relied on DC disables. Perhaps self-serving to lament the ability.
Last edited by Ork on Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anomandaris

Post by Anomandaris » Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:19 am

Ork wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:17 am
I don't really have a lot of nice things to say about this conversation. I find that the discussions herein are aimed at a frustration around "more buttons", but the posters in here have historically been mage players - who happen to have a lot of buttons. Melee can get monotonous and without interesting dynamics that shift play, they stay stagnant. I don't know about you but, if I wanted to left click, I'd be playing Diablo2.

And, the future editions of D&D agree with my stance. More options, more abilities, more dynamics = good game play. Look at pathfinder or any other edition that improved upon 3.5E & you'll see that fighters aren't just attacking.

Anyways, -pray has been around for well before a large swath of mechanic changes have happened and it has been nerfed. I'd be tickled pink if the posters chagrinning about -pray didn't
also relied on DC disabled. Perhaps self-serving to lament the ability.
24/6 Rogue primarily. Haven't played a DC caster in ages. Admittedly I do have lots of buttons... but I use pray allll the time given my awful will save haha.

Red_Wharf

Post by Red_Wharf » Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:30 am

Jordenk wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:25 am
Yes,this 100%. The MOBA dynamic has grown. All these active abilities on CD are making it seem more and more like an Arena PvP server or MOBA than an RPG sandbox.
Then you think the server should take a pen and paper D&D approach where four and five encounters with enemies last a few irl hours and resting takes nearly 1/3 of an in-game day? In Arelith or any MMO game, we go through enemy spawns quickly, it's all fast paced, and abilities on cooldown are quality of life. And honestly, who cares if the mechanics are MOBA-like? It doesn't detract from the roleplaying experience, in fact, we don't even need rules or mechanics to roleplay, they only exist because otherwise it would be a very arbitrary game where everything goes, and that would suck.

Anomandaris

Post by Anomandaris » Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:37 am

Red_Wharf wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:30 am
Jordenk wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:25 am
Then you think the server should take a pen and paper D&D approach where four and five encounters with enemies last a few irl hours and resting takes nearly 1/3 of an in-game day? In Arelith or any MMO game, we go through enemy spawns quickly, it's all fast paced, and abilities on cooldown are quality of life. And honestly, who cares if the mechanics are MOBA-like? It doesn't detract from the roleplaying experience, in fact, we don't even need rules or mechanics to roleplay, they only exist because otherwise it would be a very arbitrary game where everything goes, and that would suck.
No, I hear ya. I think it's cool that new stuff gets added to make certain classes more interesting to play. I just don't think it should be done just because this class doesn't have as many buttons to press, let's add more in there. It's a bit off topic with the original post and I don't want to create a total rabbit hole here. Just a general sentiment about constantly trying to hyper optimize and balance everything which creates a very volatile mechanical dynamic. A lot of ppl play simple classes because they like simpler play styles mechanically. Just like some people don't like wizards for the opposite reason.

Dreams

Post by Dreams » Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:16 am

I like the part of pray that triggers by itself, and I don't like the part where the player types -pray. I feel like it could actually be used in an entirely different way, such as when a player uses -pray, their character kneels down and begins to pray. After a round, maybe there is a blessing, maybe not.

RP only starts at 30 if you're a coward.

Watchful Glare

Post by Watchful Glare » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:38 am

I dislike -pray as it is an instant action free out of jail card that can be used on command and has become part of the mechanics. I think things would be better if it wasn't a thing. It's cool when it triggers on it's own though.

My thoughts on it aside, it does suck that your character can be unconcious and as a concious investment of a major favor... Your deity is taken and it still lets you die.

Imagine a Paladin of Lathander bleeding out reaching out to his god to ask for salvation after being pious, then the piety is taken and Lathander goes "Haha, sike!" and watches him bleed to death.
Biz here was a constant subliminal hum, and death the accepted punishment for laziness, carelessness, lack of grace, the failure to heed the demands of an intricate protocol.