Guldorand City Crier

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead
Server Owner/Creative Lead

Re: Guldorand City Crier

Post by Irongron » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:06 pm

Dreams wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:39 pm
I think I made a similar point in another thread about criers at some point, but...

If you have a crier say 'This message from <character's real name>,' before the message, then you'll have people really making sure they're saying the right thing and from an IC perspective. Having disguised names be available in this won't help the problem at hand.

This would give some level of accountability.
This might make sense, along with longer intervals between shouts, increased price a max hour counter and a limit on often one character can use the criers (6 hours max, 1 use per 24 hours).

I won't be moving them though. There is a Tavern right there if you need the quiet.

Kuma
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Kuma » Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:12 am

Irongron wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:06 pm
I won't be moving them though. There is a Tavern right there if you need the quiet.
i like this approach

there's so many actual social spaces in guld (and the server entire), it always weirded me out that people just loiter in thoroughfares

like i get it, it's where people travel through, but it's still weird. they shouldn't be comfortable.

House Freth: Reference Information
House Claddath: Reference Information
"What's a heretic?": a guide to religious schism terminology

Irongron wrote:

4. No full screen images of the NWN gnome model (might frighten the children)

Deryliss

Post by Deryliss » Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:32 pm

Kuma wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:12 am
Irongron wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:06 pm
i like this approach

there's so many actual social spaces in guld (and the server entire), it always weirded me out that people just loiter in thoroughfares

like i get it, it's where people travel through, but it's still weird. they shouldn't be comfortable.
If you are sitting out in a thoroughfare, chances are higher that someone who is also interested in RP will stumble onto you.

If you are hiding in one of the hundreds upon hundreds of interior zones that is far less likely to happen.

Regardless, I'm content with the idea of having a max duration and reduced frequency for crier messages. It will make them less grating.
Marijani, Priestess of Istishia

Shrouded Wanderer

Post by Shrouded Wanderer » Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:02 pm

Would be neat if there was some way to know if theres a ton of people in a building in the cities.

An occasional message from a door with various messages based on the amount of players in an area would be a near queue

Say if there is 5 to 10 - *there is occasional laughing heard from in the tavern

10 to 20 - the tavern seems to be bustling

And have that message maybe appear in system chat if you pass within a certain distance of the tavern door.

thimblegiant
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by thimblegiant » Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:16 pm

Shrouded Wanderer wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:02 pm
Would be neat if there was some way to know if theres a ton of people in a building in the cities.

An occasional message from a door with various messages based on the amount of players in an area would be a near queue

Say if there is 5 to 10 - *there is occasional laughing heard from in the tavern

10 to 20 - the tavern seems to be bustling

And have that message maybe appear in system chat if you pass within a certain distance of the tavern door.
This is a cool idea. Taverns tend to have transitions so it takes a bit of effort to swing in just to see what's going on without some prompting.

It's funny how small changes like a single bench placed somewhere can impact traffic patterns in an area. Like the one that used to be in front of the Nomad. That area used to always have small crowds gathered and it was a nice place to loiter if you didn't feel like hanging around the "serious" RP in the town center. Now it's a drive by (mostly).

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:52 pm

Understanding where people hang out is a cultural thing that's usually initiated by some roleplay-maker. Years ago we had a pretty active group housing meetings in Thoraminds and people frequented the place to interact with this roleplay. The same can be true for taverns.