Dweomercrafting Feedback

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Skald Haldi
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Dweomercrafting Feedback

Post by Skald Haldi » Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:04 am

This is half feedback, half question, and half suggestion:
Three halves makes a whole!

There are several options in dweomercrafting that I just don't understand - or seem completely useless.
I've tried some of these out thinking they might be useful, only to learn that they have no effect.
These all seem like noob traps - designed to steal coin from the unsuspecting or curious.

1) Bonus Spell Slots for classes that don't get "spells" - for instance fighter, monk, commoner
Since it was offered, I thought this would give some benefit from that class.
Tried it. Does nothing. At least, as far as I can tell?

2) Container Weight Reduction
Does this work?
I seen ti remember trying it on a gem bag used for dust and it didn't seem to do anything.

3) Skill Bonus: Craft Mastery
Since it was offered, I thought it would increase my craft points per tick.
Tried it. Does nothing. At least as far as I can tell?
I even waited for my craft points to fill up to see if it increased my max -> no.
What else is craft mastery used for?

4) Save Bonus Specific:
All right, this one does work, but why would you ever use it?
Save Bonus Universal is better and overrides the save bonus from the specific.
Suggest bumping the bonus here to +2 to make it worth it
(still not as powerful as univeral, but more useful maybe?)

5) Mighty
Does anyone ever use this enchantment?
I imagine you'd much rather buy a crafted bow that already has it built-in

6) Attack Bonus
I'm trying to imagine the situation where this would be useful
Perhaps a found item that has neat powers, but no enhancement?

7) Trap
What is this for? Does anyone use this?

8) Healer's Kit
Huh?

9) Poison
Is there some way to make this work? It seems like it is always disabled
I've tried it on weapons (both blunt and edged) and arrows, and on poison.
Even if it did work, is this useful to anybody? It seems like a really long-shot hope to get a benefit.

Played: Peruruo Longbean, Spring Cobb, Purple (disguised), Ke Rilyn'ervs, Tern Cooper
Playing: Az'alva Sh'yalva

magistrasa

Re: Dweomercrafting Feedback

Post by magistrasa » Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:01 pm

I agree that it's long past time for the dweomercrafting dialogue to be streamlined. It's such an important system for gameplay, and yet it's completely unintuitive. I know it's on the list of things-to-be-updated, but I guess I just assume it's so easy I'm amazed it hasn't happened yet. The basin dialogue has been getting complaints for years at this point.

That said:
4) Save Bonus Specific:
All right, this one does work, but why would you ever use it?
Save Bonus Universal is better and overrides the save bonus from the specific.
It's been a while since I've done any complex or runic dweomercrafting myself, but if I'm remembering correctly, one if the appeals here is that specific save bonuses don't count in the rune tier calculation. So, if you had two-stat gear and a will save enhancement, you could still just put a lesser rune on it.

× Career Sharran × MILF Supreme × Artist (Allegedly) ×
Will Trade Art For Groceries Again Eventually

Xerah

Post by Xerah » Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:56 pm

The system is designed around reading 2da files and filling in the options.

It's an annoying process to update for no real gain so no one has done it (or really wants to spend their time messing around with a functional system). Ideally, it would be redone.

Usually, it's best to assume things aren't "easy" to do
Katernin Bersk, Chancellor of Divination; Kerri Amblecrown, Paladin of Milil; Xull'kacha Auvry'rae, Redcap Fey-pacted; Sadia yr Thuravya el Bhirax, Priestess of Umberlee; Lissa Whitehorn, Archmage of Artifice

Party in the forest at midnight

Post by Party in the forest at midnight » Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:00 pm

Specific saves are easier to enchant than uni save, so you can cram more things onto a piece and perhaps make something a soft 5% where it would otherwise be a hard 5%. The reason to do this is your class probably has one save that is really bad, that you want to make better. For example I enchanted for a rogue who wanted it to be a will save bonus.

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:45 pm

Party in the forest at midnight wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:00 pm
Specific saves are easier to enchant than uni save, so you can cram more things onto a piece and perhaps make something a soft 5% where it would otherwise be a hard 5%. The reason to do this is your class probably has one save that is really bad, that you want to make better. For example I enchanted for a rogue who wanted it to be a will save bonus.
This is very true. There's a pinned chart in the Arelith discord that specifies some commonly used and very good patterns. For example, as Party suggested, people have been doing stuff like +2 skill +2 skill +1 specific save +1 stat and then a final +1 stat at a soft 5% roll. I know I've been recommended (and did) that on my divine rogue with will save and my monk with fort save, characters which really had just one weak save. Such items allow further work with masterwork runes because specific saves also dont count for runic properties.
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too