Disrupting Ambient Sounds: Can we not?

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Disrupting Ambient Sounds: Can we not?

Post by MissEvelyn » Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:18 am

Whether it's an old lady yelling "Look out below!" followed by the smashing of a chamber pot in the sewers of Cordor every 30 seconds, or the constant pounding of extremely loud drums in the Dark Heart jungles across 6 or more different zones, is there a good in-game reason for these to exist?

I went out of my way to scour every one of those zones in the drumming example, and I could not find the source of who was drumming nor did I see any evidence of drums left by the monsters there.

And before you ask, turning off the game music does nothing. I already play without the game music. These are ambient sounds within the toolset. I imagine they're running on a constant loop, or a delayed loop as with the case of poop pot lady in the sewers.

Could they maybe be toned down?

Archnon

Re: Disrupting Ambient Sounds: Can we not?

Post by Archnon » Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:54 am

Sort of agree though I think the menu options let you turn these down but leave spell noises and such.

Also, for the love of all that is holy could someone tell me what the guy in the Hub keeps shouting across the room.

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:45 am

MissEvelyn wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:18 am
And before you ask, turning off the game music does nothing. I already play without the game music. These are ambient sounds within the toolset. I imagine they're running on a constant loop, or a delayed loop as with the case of poop pot lady in the sewers.
Their volume control is unfortunately tied with everything 'ambient' and combat sounds included.

And yeah, I couldnt agree more. I hate the ambient sounds in this game. They contribute little and prevent me from listening to other music unless I also shut down all the ambient and combat sounds, which sucks. Afaik, there's nothing we can do from Arelith's end and it's deeper in the game's system.
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

ReverentBlade

Post by ReverentBlade » Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:29 am

AstralUniverse wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:45 am
Afaik, there's nothing we can do from Arelith's end and it's deeper in the game's system.
The ambient sounds in areas are entirely determined by the area builder. There are generic day/night area-wide presets that can be used, along with placed ambient sounds that come complete with sphere of influence, relative volume, variation in pitch and frequently, which hours they are played, and which .wav files make up that particular sphere's loop.

Areas are functionally silent without the developer setting up and placing sounds. Everything you hear was a conscious decision made by someone at some point.

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:19 pm

ReverentBlade wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:29 am
AstralUniverse wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:45 am
Afaik, there's nothing we can do from Arelith's end and it's deeper in the game's system.
The ambient sounds in areas are entirely determined by the area builder. There are generic day/night area-wide presets that can be used, along with placed ambient sounds that come complete with sphere of influence, relative volume, variation in pitch and frequently, which hours they are played, and which .wav files make up that particular sphere's loop.

Areas are functionally silent without the developer setting up and placing sounds. Everything you hear was a conscious decision made by someone at some point.
Well consider me educated. I was always under the impression that some tilsets simply have sounds attached to them. Like the borrows of darrowdeep and the Kurgan in skal, and the ancient mound and the swamp. That stuff just... CANT go away it seems. I dunno.
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

Mattamue
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Mattamue » Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:46 pm

You can look up the sound and put an empty .wav file with the same name in your override to make them silent.

Who is the audience for this post?

Dragonovith
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Dragonovith » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:49 pm

The drums are awful, but nothing compares to the ambient sounds of the Whidershin tavern. The constant non-stop loud burping and spitting gets on everyone's nerves.

Kriegos

Post by Kriegos » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:19 pm

Oh my gosh. The Look Out Below Granny is the bane of my existence. I swear she follows me around above ground, dumping every chamber pot into the sewers trying to hit me.

Please do a pass on area sounds and give her a hobby. Well, a different hobby.
Insomniac extraordinaire and owner of the cutest darn corgis you’ve ever seen.

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:23 pm

Mattamue wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:46 pm
You can look up the sound and put an empty .wav file with the same name in your override to make them silent.
That's some galaxy hyperspace brain. No idea how to look up their names but I'll certainly find a way to do exactly that sooner or later. Thanks.
Svrtr wrote:

Rico_scorpion

Post by Rico_scorpion » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:48 pm

Apparently unpopular opinion:

For me and my GF, these sounds are both memory making (related to an area), and very funny meme-sque. "Look out below" actually became a running gag that only us understand which always cracks us up (yes, we're grown up children).

Aside from the anecdotical thing, we would really, really, really be saddened to see them removed. I however fully understand how annoying they can be... they are just not that for us. Same goes for "whaaaat? Who approaches?" in the crypts, the drums are atmospheric, grunts and broken glasses are signatures of certains areas, mosquitos in the swamps etc etc

We remember them all, we attached them all to certain areas. We love them all. Arelith wouldn't be the same without them. I'm being dramatic but that's truly how we feel.

Anyway, to each their own.

Lexx

Post by Lexx » Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:01 pm

Rico_scorpion wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:48 pm

For me and my GF, these sounds are both memory making (related to an area), and very funny meme-sque. "Look out below" actually became a running gag that only us understand which always cracks us up (yes, we're grown up children).

Aside from the anecdotical thing, we would really, really, really be saddened to see them removed. I however fully understand how annoying they can be... they are just not that for us. Same goes for "whaaaat? Who approaches?" in the crypts, the drums are atmospheric, grunts and broken glasses are signatures of certains areas, mosquitos in the swamps etc etc

We remember them all, we attached them all to certain areas. We love them all. Arelith wouldn't be the same without them. I'm being dramatic but that's truly how we feel.

This sums up how I feel better than I could put it myself about this.

Watchful Glare

Post by Watchful Glare » Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:23 pm

Rico_scorpion wrote:

I can relate to how nostalgic they can be

On the other hand after listening to them thirty million times you either turn the volume off or go insane, at which point why were they there in the first instance?

Perhaps reduce the frequency at which it does happen
Biz here was a constant subliminal hum, and death the accepted punishment for laziness, carelessness, lack of grace, the failure to heed the demands of an intricate protocol.

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by MissEvelyn » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:23 pm

Watchful Glare wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:23 pm
Rico_scorpion wrote:

On the other hand after listening to them thirty million times you either turn the volume off or go insane, at which point why were they there in the first instance?

Perhaps reduce the frequency at which it does happen
Yes, by all means. I don't want them removed =)

Not even Granny in the sewers (though she certainly could use a different hobby). It's the frequency of it that's bothersome. For the repeated ones, I imagine something like every 5-15 min would be good, as opposed to 30-40 seconds.
And for the drums and other repeated sounds, maybe limit them to a smaller area? The Dark Heart Jungle drums are consistently drumming loudly throughout several zones - and there's not a single evidence of the source (and I think that's the part that bothers me the most about those in particular).

The volume of the Quagmires (and other loud places) could also use a tuning down, as well.

tidal

Post by tidal » Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:26 am

Watchful Glare wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:23 pm

On the other hand after listening to them thirty million times you either turn the volume off or go insane
Same! The Abyss Citadel was certainly both nostalgic and insane x)

Mattamue wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:46 pm
name of the jungle drums soundfile, anyone? ^^

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:50 am

There's only one ambient sound that I would nuke from orbit if I could, and it's the mosquito buzz in the quagmire.

I have swatted my own ear SO MANY TIMES.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

-XXX-

Post by -XXX- » Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:51 am

Huh, so there are still players who don't play the game with muted sound! Interesting...

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:49 am

-XXX- wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:51 am
Huh, so there are still players who don't play the game with muted sound! Interesting...
I mute the music, but I still want the combat sounds on because it does still help me not die in some situations. The sound actually helps me in combat. It's the...
Baron Saturday wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:50 am
mosquito buzz in the quagmire.
that sort of stuff I wish to mute, without the combat sounds.
Svrtr wrote:

ElvenEdibles

Post by ElvenEdibles » Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:42 pm

-XXX- wrote:
I play with everything on maximum volume.

Mattamue
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Mattamue » Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:04 pm

Who is the audience for this post?

thimblegiant
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by thimblegiant » Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:11 pm

I was just in these areas a couple days ago and I found myself thinking how important ambient sound is to setting the mood, and in fact the jungle drums are what stirred my thought. I can see how it might be just noise after awhile, but if you're under-leveled for the area you're exploring it adds to the sense of dread (to me).
Baron Saturday wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:50 am
There's only one ambient sound that I would nuke from orbit if I could, and it's the mosquito buzz in the quagmire.

I have swatted my own ear SO MANY TIMES.
Man, I found myself feeling sorry for whoever made the recording. I've been in swamps at night that sound like this and the mosquitoes and biting flies are pure madness. It's amazing that any wildlife survives exposed night after night.

Glowing Mushroom
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Glowing Mushroom » Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:27 pm

Ambient sounds are extremely important, but they have to be done carefully.

Some sounds like crickets in the Campsite or frogs in the Silver Glade are overwhelmingly loud.

Other ambient sounds inside of houses like floors creaking or a draft blowing through are not loud enough.

It would be a big project to go through and tweak all of them, but some areas could certainly use it.
Burin the Earthly.

LovelyLightningWitch

Post by LovelyLightningWitch » Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:12 pm

-XXX- wrote:
While some sounds and background pieces are annoying - it is usually due to them rather badly fitting the ambience of an area rather than anything. I only mute sounds in these cases. And when sound bugs

In most cases - sounds are a lovely source of ambience - especially while dungeoneering. The vampire crypt in the crags, the minotaurs near Bendir, the manor in minmir - all of them are top notch in setting the atmosphere and inspiring character reactions, sensations. They consequently help with realistic reactions to delving into a manor where horrible rituals occured - disgust, un-ease and myself being a rather sqeamish player - a lowkey form of fear.

KnifeParty

Post by KnifeParty » Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:16 pm

Worse than the second level of Glorag Mur?

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by MissEvelyn » Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:26 pm

KnifeParty wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:16 pm
Worse than the second level of Glorag Mur?
I'd say on par with it 😅
LovelyLightningWitch wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:12 pm
In most cases - sounds are a lovely source of ambience - especially while dungeoneering. The vampire crypt in the crags, the minotaurs near Bendir, the manor in minmir - all of them are top notch in setting the atmosphere and inspiring character reactions, sensations. They consequently help with realistic reactions to delving into a manor where horrible rituals occured - disgust, un-ease and myself being a rather sqeamish player - a lowkey form of fear.
This is why I made the thread to begin with. Because we care about the sounds.
Most of the sounds throughout Arelith are wonderful, inspiring emotions in us, like you said. It's just a shame that there's a few bad ones that are either overdone or simply too loud.

In Sorrow We Trust
Contributor
Contributor

Post by In Sorrow We Trust » Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:16 pm

Glowing Mushroom wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:27 pm
Ambient sounds are extremely important, but they have to be done carefully.
This.

Thing is, Arelith has a lot of areas with this issue. It would take time away from fixing bugs and adding new content to fix it. We only have so many area developers. Right now I'm working on a few areas and those areas will be toned down on ambience as I work through them, and I have a fairly sizeable project following that where I'll do the same. It's not going to be immediate, but as these areas are updated with new hak content and newer tilesets I think we will keep this feedback in mind. I tend to be pretty subtle with my ambience myself anyway, as I agree heartily with the original point.

Vittoria Veleno
catch me if you can