Nature's sense / Wilderness / Movement speed bonus

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Rico_scorpion

Nature's sense / Wilderness / Movement speed bonus

Post by Rico_scorpion » Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:16 pm

Hi,

So I got the opportunity to play around Nature's sense a little bit. While a cool feat in nature (<= lel), the exact definition of the feat says it applies in "wilderness" areas. I find it pretty confusing and unreliable in its interpretation.

So far, it doesn't apply in most caves i've been through (Guldorand lumber camp coal mines caves, ogers near nexus falls, orcs around bendir, etc). BUT, in those same caves, the "+20% move speed when in wilderness + map discovery", do apply. The caves are unequivocally natural for some of them (one could argue whether or not an abandoned rocky mine is the wilderness or not, but even those that are really just natural caves, do not have the +2 bonus).

Shouldn't nature's sense apply whenever the area qualifies for the 20% movespeed bonus? For readability and game design elegance (unifying ranger's conditions).
If not, I would advise relabeling the definition of the feat. Like "exterior wilderness areas".

I would be curious to hear feedbacks about ranger underdarkers, is it "some caves have it, others don't" , or it works reliably there or doesn't work at all?

Cheers!

Skibbles
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Re: Nature's sense / Wilderness / Movement speed bonus

Post by Skibbles » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:01 am

I don't have a lot of experience with the surface-side of the mechanically natural side (time change when?!) but a lot of the UD is mechanically natural.

One big exception is generally the lowerdark area - particularly the wide flat expanse of faerzress radiation and many of the linked dungeons. I'd say there could be a fairly strong reason why these don't count as natural.

I haven't experienced getting the movement speed bonus and not the natural sense bonus but I haven't played my ranger for about a week and a half either.
Irongron wrote: [...] the super-secret Arelith development roadmap is a post apocalyptic wasteland populated with competing tribes of hand-bombard wielding techno-giants, and strewn with the bones of long dead elves.

So we're very much on track.

Rico_scorpion

Post by Rico_scorpion » Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:09 pm

Ok thanks, that's good to hear for underdarkers.

So maybe that's just that "surface cave" tileset that is wrongly tagged, if it even works that way? (maybe I'm wrong but the widespread underdark tileset isn't the same as the widespread surface caves, right?).

Ordo.Lupus

Post by Ordo.Lupus » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:02 pm

Nwn wiki specifies what Nature's sense checks before applying the AB bonus.
https://nwn.fandom.com/wiki/Nature_sense
A "wilderness area" is defined to be an area that has been flagged as "exterior", "natural", and "above ground" terrain type. This may or may not correspond to what appears to be wilderness.
I would assume that the other ranger abilities only check Natural vs Artificial.
"To every man is given the key to the gates of heaven. The same key opens the gates of hell" - Richard P. Feynman

Rico_scorpion

Post by Rico_scorpion » Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:52 pm

Well that was my "guess" as well, except it can't be a correct guess if underdarkers do benefit from it while being interior. :s I'm confused.

Zan

Post by Zan » Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:10 am

AB Bonus doesn't seem to apply in the areas of the UD that the move speed bonus does, which means the feat, sadly, does little for UD Rangers
Current Char: Khael'dar

"Understanding is a Three-Edged Sword"