Western Slopes Are Massively Over-Populated

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

Glowing Mushroom
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Western Slopes Are Massively Over-Populated

Post by Glowing Mushroom » Tue May 04, 2021 4:24 pm

One can barely walk ten feet in the Western Slopes without being beset by huge groups of giants, ogres, and harpies.

Combine this with the chance of being ambushed by the ever-over-powered Reavers, your chances of peaceful travel are slim.

Neverwinter Nights is a very old game. It crashes - A lot. Massive groups of enemies in an over populated area combined with the ambushes has caused me to crash and be killed in a situation that I could have otherwise survived multiple times. I would really appreciate seeing the Western Slopes and the other areas of Minmir toned down with their populations. I'm all for having big, fun battles. But not at the expense of crashes which get me killed.
Burin the Earthly.

Draco

Re: Western Slopes Are Massively Over-Populated

Post by Draco » Tue May 04, 2021 5:58 pm

I frequent these areas often and never run into this issue of constant crashes, do you have any mods that would cause that issue?

Barkoneus

Post by Barkoneus » Tue May 04, 2021 6:44 pm

By Reavers do you mean Talossians? Western Slopes has Talossians, and I always think of the Gap of Aeons for reavers. Just want to make sure at least the same area is being discussed.

Glowing Mushroom

Post by Glowing Mushroom » Tue May 04, 2021 6:47 pm

Barkoneus wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 6:44 pm
By Reavers do you mean Talossians? Western Slopes has Talossians, and I always think of the Gap of Aeons for reavers. Just want to make sure at least the same area is being discussed.
The Western Slopes will fall victim to ambushes by the Reavers, yes. Combined with the Talassians and all the rest. It can suddenly turn into a battle involving multiple dozen NPCs with the already over populated area of the slopes, which causes the crashes.
Burin the Earthly.

Glowing Mushroom

Post by Glowing Mushroom » Tue May 04, 2021 6:48 pm

Draco wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 5:58 pm
I frequent these areas often and never run into this issue of constant crashes, do you have any mods that would cause that issue?
I suppose they could be mods, but I have a feeling it's more to do with the population of the area being combined with huge ambushes. I'm talking 2 dozen or more NPCs at one time.
Burin the Earthly.

Inordinate
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Inordinate » Tue May 04, 2021 6:58 pm

Glowing Mushroom wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 6:48 pm
Draco wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 5:58 pm
I suppose they could be mods, but I have a feeling it's more to do with the population of the area being combined with huge ambushes. I'm talking 2 dozen or more NPCs at one time.
Disable all of your workshop content for a bit and traverse the areas a few times at different intervals, see if the behavior persists. Wouldn't hurt to share which ones you have enabled, too, might highlight an issue worth noting to others they may experience adjacent problems from a similar source.
If need there comes to shelter my ship on the flood;
The wind I calm upon the waves, and the sea I put to sleep

Arienette

Post by Arienette » Fri May 07, 2021 1:23 am

I think this means those areas don’t get enough traffic to thin out the mobs. You might also need to get a Druid to balance the area.

Good Character

Post by Good Character » Fri May 07, 2021 2:18 am

Due to the lack of reason to traverse the area for an average character, it's like what Arienette mentioned. Great system but it means people need to make an effort of culling the area. I say make it an IC goal if it's overbearing. Really simple but cool reason to bring people together.

Barkoneus

Post by Barkoneus » Fri May 07, 2021 7:39 pm

Glowing Mushroom wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 6:47 pm
Barkoneus wrote:
The Western Slopes will fall victim to ambushes by the Reavers, yes. Combined with the Talassians and all the rest. It can suddenly turn into a battle involving multiple dozen NPCs with the already over populated area of the slopes, which causes the crashes.
That sounds awesome. I've always enjoyed it when it gets out of balance and the Talossians are there in full force, would love to see Reavers show up too!

Barkoneus

Post by Barkoneus » Fri May 07, 2021 7:39 pm

Glowing Mushroom wrote:
Barkoneus wrote:
That sounds awesome. I've always enjoyed it when it gets out of balance and the Talossians are there in full force, would love to see Reavers show up too!

Glowing Mushroom

Post by Glowing Mushroom » Fri May 07, 2021 8:55 pm

Barkoneus wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 7:39 pm
Glowing Mushroom wrote:
Barkoneus wrote:
lol yes the ambushes can be fun I just don't want them to destabilize the game by overwhelming an area with all of these sudden calculations that cause a crash. That's how you log back in to find yourself in the Fugue.
Burin the Earthly.

TroubledWaters

Post by TroubledWaters » Tue May 11, 2021 3:28 pm

Barkoneus wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 7:39 pm
Glowing Mushroom wrote:
Agreed, it is awesome. I was once in a party of 4 low teens chars that wandered in this area, it was an awesome march. We fought for every inch, slogged it out with dozens and dozens of baddies with no end in sight. One of the more fun PVE experiences I've had on Arelith.