Recent Property Sales Update

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

Cybren

Re: Recent Property Sales Update

Post by Cybren » Sun May 09, 2021 5:39 am

I mean if a settlement government wants to they can just say "anyone except for [person] who buys [property] is getting evicted".

Woper_The_Black

Post by Woper_The_Black » Sun May 09, 2021 5:42 am

Branching off a little but why is cordor the only settlement that has a register ? And why doesn't the register encompass all of the pax ? Farmlands, graveyard, vaults etc. Also if it's an exceptable mechanic why not have the same mechanic for the other settlements ? I think if it's possible maybe the quarters that are up for sale could be listed somewhere (or if all settlements had a register). Otherwise this change is going to have people scouring the entire server constantly hoping to get lucky on a random release, instead of spending it RPing and as some have mentioned there is now also zero RP involved with selling quarters. I also hope this doesn't disadvantage/advantage players on weird time zones too much. What is defined as a better quarter as compared to a lesser one (this was mentioned in the original outlay) ? Are vaults/commons, single room only quarters effected ? Sorry for the jumbled questions I just type them in as I think of them....

Cybren

Post by Cybren » Sun May 09, 2021 5:47 am

I believe Andunor also has a property registry?

Mattamue
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Mattamue » Sun May 09, 2021 6:06 am

The only additional thing I'd suggest is to allow a prospective buyer to be entered into some acutal systemized lotto rather than relying on clicking the sign at the right time.

Who is the audience for this post?

Might-N-Magic

Post by Might-N-Magic » Sun May 09, 2021 7:05 am

Don't care for it. Doesn't actually fix any actual problems.

Actually creates a real problem which will decrease turnover. Before if you wanted a property, you could simply save up a good amount of money and make an offer to buy the place. The owner might say yes. Maybe they want to improve their gear or have some millions on hand to try rolling for that dream character they wanted.

Now that isn't even an opportunity, ensuring less turnover and a tool for both sides of the transaction is no longer possible. The house/shop just stays where it is and no opportunity is had.

You've created a problem and solved none.

What you really want to do to solve the problem is just require people to play X amount of hours a week to keep said properties. You do that and all of a sudden about half the properties owned by sasquatches in the game would open up for active players overnight.

Hazard

Post by Hazard » Sun May 09, 2021 8:17 am

Might-N-Magic wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 7:05 am

Actually creates a real problem which will decrease turnover. Before if you wanted a property, you could simply save up a good amount of money and make an offer to buy the place. The owner might say yes. Maybe they want to improve their gear or have some millions on hand to try rolling for that dream character they wanted.

Now that isn't even an opportunity, ensuring less turnover and a tool for both sides of the transaction is no longer possible. The house/shop just stays where it is and no opportunity is had.

What you really want to do to solve the problem is just require people to play X amount of hours a week to keep said properties. You do that and all of a sudden about half the properties owned by sasquatches in the game would open up for active players overnight.
That's exactly my concern, and I've already personally witnessed three instances of people who were going to sell/give away property now unable and unwilling to.

Maybe some tweaks can be made to mechanics or rules and this can end up working. I'm interested to see where it goes.

I'm still glad to see the update because the INTENTION behind it is something I agree with strongly.

Dreams

Post by Dreams » Sun May 09, 2021 8:54 am

I’m keen to see how this all plays out. It’s a great step toward ensuring equal opportunity, it may also create an entirely new dynamic in the way people interact regarding housing and shops.

Suddenly, having the power to evict people from homes/shops is all the more desirable.

Baseili

Post by Baseili » Sun May 09, 2021 10:01 am

Might-N-Magic wrote:

The update was meant to address the millionaires club properity trading and passing along/giving places, now everyone is on equal footing paying the same amount as designated by the team. If they play still then theres no issue at hand, if they're simply quarterhogging then they can be reported to the DM team and dealt with that way.
Attaching a timer with too high a bar would kick out those who only play for a short amount of time, yet are active within it. Too low and you're adding a minor inconvenience at best.

I would say its solved both problems rather effectively, though some tweaks and exceptions will probably be needed as they're found.

Marsi

Post by Marsi » Sun May 09, 2021 10:29 am

I like this update - it's a huge step in the right direction. It's wonderful to see some changes that take quarter hogging seriously. Though, to be honest , while I consider myself an outspoken Discord skeptic, I've never really felt like nepotistic property handover was much of a Thing. Or at least, that its impact on the state of the market was minimal compared to the hogging itself.
LichBait wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 3:30 am
Legitimate turning over of faction assets through strictly RP means to a more junior member of a still thriving faction is now null. It may hinder/hamper multi-generational factions and dilute the possibility of longer standing institutions. (Which may be the goal, but I think some long standing institutions can be healthy provided they're actually interacting with the server/world around them.)

Lack of control over city property for a government to grant incentive loyal citizens, or a lack of way for an incumbent to build a voter base by promise of installing /new/ institutions. Which kind of runs counter intuitive to the property turnover desire this change was attempting.
I sympathise, and this was my first thought too. However, I think a faction that deserves to have multiple generations will not have troubling getting permission from a DM to arrange a manual handover.

However, I would like to see settlement authorities retaining control over this sort of thing. At the end of the day they can just evict people, so it seems like it'd be a bit silly to make them wait for the property lottery to play out.
Inordinate wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 11:44 pm
Aside from that Hrothgar is 10000% right here. Scarcity causes the problem to begin with. You don't need an entire city launch to add new quarters, I can see unused doorways all over many areas that can have player quarters/guild halls added, let alone adding newer areas connected to existing that expands that purpose. It doesn't even need to be huge numbers of them or all at once. 'muh immershun' can take a backseat to a church or large building getting abruptly expanded to have new quarters/guildhalls because the benefits far outweight that brief break.
Strong agree. I hate all the NPC houses. This isn't Baldurs Gate, it's a massively multiplayer game, and we are awash with areas and spaces that exist for no reason other than to give context to some NPC.

I'd like to see more guildhouses added over houses imo. I don't think it's really that important that every character gets an epic crib, but guildhouse stock has been awful as long as I've been playing. Your choices are often between tiny or ridiculously spacious, and between so overtly thematic that the space doesn't make sense for anyone besides a very narrow list of concepts, or Original Campaign tier dull. Almost always you've got to deal with awkward tileset perma-fixtures, and really thoughtless floorplans. They've always felt a bit like an afterthought to me, tbh, and it leaves factions competing with individuals for the "cool" houses, which are the preserve of career hoggers.

Why should the great bell of Beaulieu toll when the shadows were neither short nor long?

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead

Post by Irongron » Sun May 09, 2021 10:49 am

Marsi wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 10:29 am

Strong agree. I hate all the NPC houses. This isn't Baldurs Gate, it's a massively multiplayer game, and we are awash with areas and spaces that exist for no reason other than to give context to some NPC.

I'd like to see more guildhouses added over houses imo. I don't think it's really that important that every character gets an epic crib, but guildhouse stock has been awful as long as I've been playing. Your choices are often between tiny or ridiculously spacious, and between so overtly thematic that the space doesn't make sense for anyone besides a very narrow list of concepts, or Original Campaign tier dull. Almost always you've got to deal with awkward tileset perma-fixtures, and really thoughtless floorplans.
Just to respond to a few things raIsed here.

I've added so many new quarters lately, and continue to do so, well over a hundred. Admittedly this hasn't happened in the UD for quite some time though.

I'm cautious of guildhouses, because we already have many that aren't particularly used, or at least not by large groups. Guildhouses can lead to a lot of locked door RP, and I don't want them commonplace. That being said, we have a great many already, and assuming each had 10 active members? I expect that would cater hundreds of players.

NPC Housing - We have very, very, little of this. A tiny handful of houses. I can think of less than 10 in the entire module. There are a few buildings without interiors, sure, but that's not quite the same thing.

As for quarter designs, I'm sorry to hear you dislike so much of it. It's worth noting that it was only recently that HAKs allowed us to make houses and quarters with open interiors, that players can themselves fully furnish. Without HAKs this was impossible, across almost all tilesets. Houses, came with fixed looms, tables, benches, beds etc.

Of course I'll continue to address scarcity, but really...over the last few years Arelith has received just so many updates, many including quarters.

Kuma
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Kuma » Sun May 09, 2021 10:58 am

LichBait wrote:
Legitimate turning over of faction assets through strictly RP means to a more junior member of a still thriving faction is now null. It may hinder/hamper multi-generational factions and dilute the possibility of longer standing institutions. (Which may be the goal, but I think some long standing institutions can be healthy provided they're actually interacting with the server/world around them.)
This is my main concern with the system.

House Freth: Reference Information
House Claddath: Reference Information
"What's a heretic?": a guide to religious schism terminology

Irongron wrote:

4. No full screen images of the NWN gnome model (might frighten the children)

Irongron

Post by Irongron » Sun May 09, 2021 11:20 am

Kuma wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 10:58 am
LichBait wrote:
This is my main concern with the system.
For a time, sure, but this isn't a question of whether the resident faction isn't rping, or doing a great job, many do. But there is a huge opportunity cost to those that never get the chance. Some of these locations are uniquely themed/placed and 'adding more' is not an option (I don't want a line of 10 desert camps).

Many times, I have seen the same location stay in the hands of a small group, on different characters, it becomes less a narrative faction and more a clubhouse. This really can, and does, often run for several RL years, and no matter how awesome their RP is, that just isn't fair to everyone else, and perhaps more to the point, not what it was designed for. Had I seen players more willing to share? This would not be necessary.

Alas, increasingly, from items, to quarters and positions Arelith has become increasingly driven by a system of patronage, often OOC. Players that Percieve this, most especially new players that turn away because of it, are not imagining things. I don't think this system will prevent it, but I do think it will help, and choice houses will be obtained via in game effort, and not based upon the friend network outside of it.

I should also add, that if a faction is really active, and driven by a strong desire to endure, they will probably not face ruin at the loss of a single property.

Edit: I should add for that doubt the whole patronage thing, is that very often our DMs have to deal with instances where a level 3 character, has a 'chance' encounter with another character, who dumps large sums of gold and end game gear on them. After a little investigation, we can see that these players are closely linked, playing together over numerous characters. Investigating this stuff (and finding it) is a genuine pain, and I have absolutely ZERO doubt it also happens with quarters.

LovelyLightningWitch

Post by LovelyLightningWitch » Sun May 09, 2021 11:43 am

Baseili wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 10:01 am
Might-N-Magic wrote:

The update was meant to address the millionaires club properity trading and passing along/giving places, now everyone is on equal footing paying the same amount as designated by the team. If they play still then theres no issue at hand, if they're simply quarterhogging then they can be reported to the DM team and dealt with that way.
Attaching a timer with too high a bar would kick out those who only play for a short amount of time, yet are active within it. Too low and you're adding a minor inconvenience at best.

I would say its solved both problems rather effectively, though some tweaks and exceptions will probably be needed as they're found.
Regarding "x hours per week", if it also impacts small quarters (say, rooms at the Eagle or such), I feel it would make casual play impossible too. Some players play like 2x2 or 4 hours a week (4 to 8 hour total depending on free time), still use their quarter for intended purposes (storage, a place to allow for correspondence thru letters while unable to play, somewhere to start/finish the RP session).

Irongron

Post by Irongron » Sun May 09, 2021 11:45 am

LovelyLightningWitch wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 11:43 am
Baseili wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 10:01 am
Might-N-Magic wrote:

Regarding "x hours per week", if it also impacts small quarters (say, rooms at the Eagle or such), I feel it would make casual play impossible too. Some players play like 2x2 or 4 hours a week (4 to 8 hour total depending on free time), still use their quarter for intended purposes (storage, a place to allow for correspondence thru letters while unable to play, somewhere to start/finish the RP session).
Quarters (and shops) with a value less than 20k are excluded from the system.

Hobojoe

Post by Hobojoe » Sun May 09, 2021 12:17 pm

I welcome this change, far too often I've been witness to friends and cliques passing shops/quarters back and fourth, it's apparent enough in-game but you even witness it openly on discord these days, the end result is only ever stagnation of ideas.
Thrar of the Winterwood

Lolths Kisses

Post by Lolths Kisses » Sun May 09, 2021 12:18 pm

While its obvious your trying to break up the "old boys club" you are doing it by punishing all clubs. Factions need to change leadership sometimes. Faction leaders are just people with spare time to play a game. Sometimes that spare time gets taken away because real life comes first. It has to.

However now if the leader who represents a large group leaves, the large group can lose everything they have in game and have worked for.

This is very stressful for faction leaders who's limited game time is already in high demand.

I humbly suggest if this is such a big issue as repeatedly stated. Do the human leg work to investigate the situation and ban 50-100 players from the server if you feel its such a problem. But don't implement a one size fits no one policy. This is just a passive aggressive solution.

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Sun May 09, 2021 1:57 pm

I should mention that the Dm team are far from blind to the concerns brought up in this. And we're definatly going to be keeping a close eye on the situaiton.

In reguards hogging -
Firstly we don't so much look at it as just a play-time based issue. Play time can come into it - people notice if someone is barely around at all for example - but we more look at roleplay. If you're logging into your second computer for five hours a day - just wriggling around your quarter but saying nothing - whilst you're basicaly afk and watching TV or playing another game - to me that's just as bad as logging in for five seconds every week to touch your quarter door.

That's not to say we expect epic novels woth of interactions every day or so. Or that we judge these things over a small time period. Everyone has busy weeks. So long as you're around some of the time, doing some roleplay you should be alright.

These things being said - the more 'fancy' the property the more we'd expect.

Own a small home in the mayfields? Probably not a big issue tbh. If it's reported we'll look into it but it's not exactly prime property.

Own a large manor house? We expect to see a little more work going into it to show you're actually around, we'd be more activly watching that.

Own a ship? Well we want you to be /using/ that ship, and using it with others. Sitting with it absent for months on end is not an option.

Own a Guildhouse - Again we want to see a reasonable amount of activity from you - and those inside. And so on.

Warnings will be given of course. And we try to only deal with these in extremes. But if you own a property - especialy a prestigious property, we expect it to be in use.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

LichBait

Post by LichBait » Sun May 09, 2021 2:38 pm

As long as the solution is not strictly tied to the automated system, but allows for review and the more human DM factor to handle situations where RP should likely trump the system then my concerns are assuaged. Thanks for the fast responses all.

Current
Ayiesha Dahyarif
Ilphaeryl Xun'viir

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Sun May 09, 2021 2:52 pm

There are currently no plans for any systme that would automaticaly kick someone from their property for not rping enough.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

Curve

Post by Curve » Sun May 09, 2021 2:56 pm

The thing is the system is not, to my understanding of what ig has said, only trying to handle rp-less transfers. What is being said is that most everyone sees their transfers as legitimate with plenty of rp, and still it is too much of it going on. Just because you have rp’d a lot or are in a faction with the person you are transferring a fancy quarter/guildhouse/ship/shop with does not mean this rp trumps all the other players on the server getting a chance to use the cool thing for a while.

It was said above that if players were not hoarding so much then this update would not have been needed. But it is needed. And it’s not just terrible players that caused the need. It is good players, who rp and who contribute to the overall narrative experience in a positive way.

Instead of coming up with reasons why we should be excluded from this new rule we should take a hard look in the mirror and ask how we contributed to it’s necessity. Don’t feel targeted by it. Your rp is just as meaningful, there are just new rules to work with.

Babylon System is the Vampire

Post by Babylon System is the Vampire » Sun May 09, 2021 4:23 pm

Irongron wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 10:03 pm
Babylon System is the Vampire wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 9:57 pm
If my choices are "greatest change ever" or "deeply concerning" I fall in the greatest change ever column. I don't think its perfect or even as good as it could be, but its a step in the right direction. Personally I would move guild houses into the "app for" category with the caveat being if you are accepted you are expected to give it up if your faction starts to slow down drastically (without acceptable reason) or it becomes a bit of a joke after loosing time after time. Expectations could range from a great starting idea for a group to a faction built in game, and you could add and remove guild houses as you need. There is no mechanical means that will secure absolute fairness with these things, and while the human condition is flawed I think doing it through your dms is the best chance to make it as fair as possible.

As for regular property, I like the small break but I would shoot to try and set up a lotto system tied to the sale. So a property goes up for sale, it stays on sale for a week. Everyone who wants it and finds it says I will pay the cost of the apartment, and gives the gold. The system randomly chooses a winner. Now I said shoot for, because really I would have to call an old friend and convince him to script it for me if its even possible, but you got a good crew :)
I wouldn't want it to be by application, as even with the best will in the world a degree of bias is almost unavoidable, and even if DMs could be unbiased, many players would not see it that way. It is the same issue I'd have with asking DMs to adjudicate on which transfers were and were not valid.
I hear what you are saying, but you already do this on some level with certain races and prestige classes. You want to make sure the player knows what they are playing before letting them play it. I don't see how that's any different then wanting to make sure they are actually going to use a guild house for something interesting, and I don't think there are many calls of favoritism coming from the sub races and prestige classes under its current system. I'm under no illusion that your dm team is a perfect group of angels that always do the right thing, I've been around long enough now to have seen some stuff. I just think that any mechanical system like the one you put in place here will eventually get to the point where the folks in large ooc cliques will learn how to game it, and I think there are enough stalwarts of fairness on your team at least currently where everyone with a good idea would get a go over time if this was the route you chose.

Anyways, I've also been around long enough to know when your mind is set on something, so I don't expect this to change your mind. I just wanted to push back a little because in my mind this is the obvious way forward. And as I said in my first post, the fact that this is being addressed at all is enough to make me a happy camper.

Kaeldre

Post by Kaeldre » Sun May 09, 2021 4:30 pm

Marsi wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 10:29 am
I like this update - it's a huge step in the right direction.
However, I think a faction that deserves to have multiple generations will not have troubling getting permission from a DM to arrange a manual handover.
You make a series of good arguments in your post. That said, I dont think roleplay and legacy will be cause for exception. I'll refer to someone who said it better than I ever will:
Curve wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 2:56 pm
The thing is the system is not, to my understanding of what ig has said, only trying to handle rp-less transfers. What is being said is that most everyone sees their transfers as legitimate with plenty of rp, and still it is too much of it going on. Just because you have rp’d a lot or are in a faction with the person you are transferring a fancy quarter/guildhouse/ship/shop with does not mean this rp trumps all the other players on the server getting a chance to use the cool thing for a while.

It was said above that if players were not hoarding so much then this update would not have been needed. But it is needed. And it’s not just terrible players that caused the need. It is good players, who rp and who contribute to the overall narrative experience in a positive way.

Instead of coming up with reasons why we should be excluded from this new rule we should take a hard look in the mirror and ask how we contributed to it’s necessity. Don’t feel targeted by it. Your rp is just as meaningful, there are just new rules to work with.
To believe in an ideal is to be willing to betray it.

JubJub

Post by JubJub » Sun May 09, 2021 6:51 pm

I like a few things about this, first it can help encourage factions to actually use a guild house. But I do hope the Guildhouse system is changed so if it falls on an empty room it doesn't just get put up for sale. As anyone who runs a faction knows it can be really hard to keep all rooms filled since some members might already own a home in Cordor or some place. Issue is what if the character who the system decides owns the place is a newer toon with limited funds in the bank so it becomes ohh you own it now hope you have the funds or the place is for sale because system chose a room that was unoccupied.

I have to question anyone who decides I wanted to sell this but now I won't because I can't pick the owner, I think that's the behavior this change is meant to combat.

Blood on my Lips

Post by Blood on my Lips » Sun May 09, 2021 9:14 pm

Let's be honest. Rooms on the 2nd floor of the Nomad and Mayfield's Inn are not getting passed around between friends much. It's the bigger properties. It's also primarily done within factions. And why is that? Storage. Storage space is the real issue here. It's the same reason we see a lot of properties with largely inactive owners that are part of a faction.

Oh, storage space and factions. Let's talk about that. Not all guildhouses were created equal. Some guildhouses have only one quarter tied to them, some have two, and some have up to six. Some guildhouses have only one communal storage chest and some have more. This causes big factions to need more than one property to store all the shared resources for all of it's members.

The introduction of bags has helped a lot, but there are still a lot of things that can't go in a storage bag. Any good faction keeps a store of crafting resources plus potions, bandages, portal lenses, etc. Smithing can fill up an entire storage chest on its own because of all the different types of ingots.

We all know that storage is the main concern for most players. Some characters don't care to own a home, or don't play enough to need a home, but they are getting asked by their faction to hold a property to store communal goods. Especially if that faction couldn't obtain an actual guildhouse and they are trying to run a faction out of a 2nd floor room in the Nomad or a tiny house.

I think everyone here knows several properties that are being used primarily for storage rather than RP. Focusing on storage solutions would go long way. You can give guildhouses more storage, or make more storage bags, or maybe open up more property that is strictly storage oriented, like the bank vaults, and encourage factions to make use of those rather than hoarding prime properties for the purpose of storage.

Lolths Kisses

Post by Lolths Kisses » Sun May 09, 2021 9:22 pm

Blood on my Lips wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 9:14 pm
Let's be honest. Rooms on the 2nd floor of the Nomad and Mayfield's Inn are not getting passed around between friends much. It's the bigger properties. It's also primarily done within factions. And why is that? Storage. Storage space is the real issue here. It's the same reason we see a lot of properties with largely inactive owners that are part of a faction.

Oh, storage space and factions. Let's talk about that. Not all guildhouses were created equal. Some guildhouses have only one quarter tied to them, some have two, and some have up to six. Some guildhouses have only one communal storage chest and some have more. This causes big factions to need more than one property to store all the shared resources for all of it's members.

The introduction of bags has helped a lot, but there are still a lot of things that can't go in a storage bag. Any good faction keeps a store of crafting resources plus potions, bandages, portal lenses, etc. Smithing can fill up an entire storage chest on its own because of all the different types of ingots.

We all know that storage is the main concern for most players. Some characters don't care to own a home, or don't play enough to need a home, but they are getting asked by their faction to hold a property to store communal goods. Especially if that faction couldn't obtain an actual guildhouse and they are trying to run a faction out of a 2nd floor room in the Nomad or a tiny house.

I think everyone here knows several properties that are being used primarily for storage rather than RP. Focusing on storage solutions would go long way. You can give guildhouses more storage, or make more storage bags, or maybe open up more property that is strictly storage oriented, like the bank vaults, and encourage factions to make use of those rather than hoarding prime properties for the purpose of storage.
While this post has nothing directly to do with the topic at hand, I none the less think your 100% on target. As a member of a large faction, storage is a major concern. Its a never ending problem. And even two chests dedicated to crafting does little to satisfy our need of storage. Were only about 15+ active members. I have no clue what truly huge factions are doing to solve this issue.