Small tribal warriors

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

cornelius_4
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Small tribal warriors

Post by cornelius_4 » Tue May 11, 2021 3:29 am

The tribal warriors seem to work as intended mechanically, but are visually rather wonky when small and dual wielding a battle axe and and handaxe as the moment they start fighting, they'll visually twohand the battle axe with the small axe appearing inside it, while mechanically dual wielding them.

There's also a problem with how they look as a svirfneblin as they'll mechanically be svirfneblin, but visually look like surface gnomes, it would help if they shared skin tone and hair color with the leader.

I was also about to mention that it would be neat if you could customize their clothing, but then I later got one with the same look as me, however that doesn't happen all the time. I don't know if thats a bug or working as intended, although I'd prefer if they always shared the same outfit over a random one.

In the screenshot, you can see that the female shares my outfit but the male has an entirely different one although they were spawned at the same time and they both look like surface gnomes. I've long had the feeling that there's something off about them style wise which is a bit off putting and has had me avoid the path generally, even though I do like how they work mechanically. Sharing skin tone, hair color and outfit (always) would certainly help (and fixing the twohanded yet dualwielded axe that secretly contains a smaller axe within that also strikes at you).

Ps. so far the heads have shown no variation, a bit of randomness in the head model would be a neat improvement too (Edit: ok there is randomness in the head model, I've just been unlucky. I've even seen at least 1 female head that shared my skin color. I'm also seeing males that look like surface gnomes at first, but later become headless with a stump of neck that looks more like underdark skin tone, an attempted head switch to a variant that doesn't exist maybe?). Also I've somewhat changed my mind on the outfits, it's kind of nice that the males can end up with different outfits than the females.

Now witness the mysterious entity known only as handaxe. It is said to lurk nearby larger axes, viciously defending their territory, and powered by forces both mysterious and magical. Perhaps a svirfneblin trick of illusion, it looks to be warping through steel and wood alike, eagerly flying out towards those it deems unworthy.

cornelius_4
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Re: Small tribal warriors

Post by cornelius_4 » Tue May 11, 2021 9:41 am

Hmm, so there does seem to be some skin tone matching, only it may be wonky. I've seen 1 proper svirf looking female on the surface server and now I've had a couple of males that initially look like surface gnomes, but later become headless svirfneblins (so far it looks like it happens on area transition).

See Thomas there on the left? Stout lad. Too bad his head isn't in the right place.

Update: ok this time, the female changed from surface color to underdark, but it happened a little while after area transition, I checked just as I came through and there she still looked like a surface gnome. So it seems to just happen after a little while, however, it's certainly strange that there is this delay in the first place and that the male didn't change when the female did.

Waldo52

Re: Small tribal warriors

Post by Waldo52 » Tue May 11, 2021 5:28 pm

On the skin tone issue, I've had the same problem. I play an elf tribal barbarian/shaman with gray skin and part of the fun of my character is the weird aesthetic of three gray elves running around in black leather. Whenever my buddies appear they have a sort of beige caucasian skin tone but the second we jump through the door to another hex the problem is solved and they turn gray. I consider it mostly a non issue unless I have to summon them in the middle of a sensitive role playing moment. It would be nice to see this fixed but this is probably the kind of problem that's better to live with. I'll bet the coding necessary to fix this minor bug would be way more effort than it's worth.

The small character equipment issue sounds more irritating though. The second I Saw this class I thought to myself "This is awesome but I wish I had some say over the weapons of my tribesmen." A shortsword and shield option or something like that would not only look cool and give players a feeling of choice but would also be size compatible with the little guys. And while we're at it a ranged option would be HILLARIOUS.