Item Enchantment Ideas and Feedback

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

ReverentBlade

Re: Item Enchantment Ideas and Feedback

Post by ReverentBlade » Fri May 21, 2021 2:05 am

Don't look for a solution to a problem that doesn't exist, is my best advice. Any adjustments to the basin system or gear in general has often meant having to spend a lot of gold and time reoptimizing. This is not a process I find fun, engaging, or worth my time. The basin system is already a nightmare of repetitive clicking and waiting for animations and dialogues to finish.

Unless you have some magic to fix the entire foundation of the system, please do not force me to use it any more than is necessary by fiddling with it.

Kuma
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Kuma » Fri May 21, 2021 4:50 am

ReverentBlade wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 2:05 am
Don't look for a solution to a problem that doesn't exist, is my best advice. Any adjustments to the basin system or gear in general has often meant having to spend a lot of gold and time reoptimizing. This is not a process I find fun, engaging, or worth my time. The basin system is already a nightmare of repetitive clicking and waiting for animations and dialogues to finish.

Unless you have some magic to fix the entire foundation of the system, please do not force me to use it any more than is necessary by fiddling with it.
Unless it's little additions like adding spells and things, this is my thoughts on the matter.

House Freth: Reference Information
House Claddath: Reference Information
"What's a heretic?": a guide to religious schism terminology

Irongron wrote:

4. No full screen images of the NWN gnome model (might frighten the children)

Netrial

Post by Netrial » Fri May 21, 2021 5:54 am

I saw someone suggest something similar to what me and a friend were discussing, but since I can't find it to quote, I'll continue.

My idea was to allow those attribute/skill magical item drops to allow enchantments switched out with something equivalent. Limited ONLY to the magical item drops. To use my bard as a example, say I come across a +1 STR +2 perform +1 discipline pair of gloves- But my bard is INT based, and wants to focus on lore and spellcraft

a t3 dwemer could change the STR to INT

a t2 could change the +2 perform to +2 spellcraft

& a t1 could change the +1 listen to +1 lore

This would be ONLY to the magical item drops. Like magical cloak, or gloves, or boots- NOT TO ANYTHING CRAFTED.

At the least it'd generate more interest in those drops instead of being rarely inspected, and usually peddler'd. It'd be a nice solution to finding a piece of something dropped- that was oh so slightly wrong from what you'd like for gear.

Perhaps some sort of permanent damage {charges} per enchantment changed this way, so that with every time something is modified, it goes more and more likely to be destroyed. So if all three of those were changed, what was originally a 13 charge item is now permanently 10.

This probably shouldn't be allowed for found rings and amulets, since I don't think they have charges associated.

Something like Uni-saves or other enchantments other then skills/attributes disallowed to be changed.

Though I'd adore if we can get rid of random light effects on other pieces of gear.

_-HiM-_
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by _-HiM-_ » Fri May 21, 2021 6:42 am

I honestly quite like the current system, the only thing I find quite tideious is going through selecting all the different skills etc, it would be marvellous if you could pre set what you would like to do with the enchant, for example.

+2 disc, +2 spellcraft, +1 con +1 str +1 uni

The system advises you this is not a guaranteed chance of success etc takes your money and does it in one big go, to simplify the process for people who haven't been doing it for years.

I think certain Onhit abilities for weapons would be quite neat to add as dwemocrafting similar to how we have essences, but other than that I wouldn't want to see it over hauled too hard.

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Fri May 21, 2021 7:17 am

I am very much in agreement with Dont fix something that isnt broken and the main inconvenience is the accessibility and time consumption. And definitely dont remove Unisave.. this would be incredibly and hilariously bad for the server's balance in huge proportions.

As for interesting stuff we could add, for starters, would be an option to -save basin setup and then being able to just perform all the rolls on that list one by one until it fails, runs out of gold or succeeds the last roll on the list.

I have no good idea for interesting item properties. Anything that comes to mind really breaks the game or useless. 15 or even 20 SR option would be cool for leveling but then it would make all mage mobs garbage and IG will then make them stronger so what's the point going through that.
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

Quidix
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Quidix » Fri May 21, 2021 7:23 am

Ork wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 7:46 pm
Truthfully, if I was going to suggest any change to enchanting it would be around ease of access. Currently the enchanting system is time consuming and carpal tunnel inducing. Any way to streamline and reduce the amount of clicks for enchanting would be a huge improvement on the system.
Fully agree. I'd much rather have an easy system to use over many new options.

chris a gogo

Post by chris a gogo » Fri May 21, 2021 9:31 am

Feats.
This is what will get the most used if you can give yourself skill focus or an arcane feat that you didn't have room for on a build then the increase to DC's is a good addition i know i used such an item on my last wizard to increase a schools DC by 2.

Regeneration. +1/+2
There is a reason lantenesse rings sell for 75k+

Spell uses per day would not be used as a main item but a swap out one.
For flavor reasons it's great if you had a ring that allows you to cast 4 stat buffs/4 ac buffs but in truth the duration would be low and you wouldn't wear it all the time, plus to make such enchantments popular you would have to totally alter the loot matrix to prevent potions dropping.

TooManyPotatoes

Post by TooManyPotatoes » Fri May 21, 2021 9:39 am

Adding more basin options has the potential to ruin any semblance of balance we have.

I'm hopeful we are being asked for ideas because a new system (based on the gold/tier limits we currently have) is already in the works that makes enchanting FAR less tedious, and in the process they realised they could easily add more options into the new framework. If this is simply a proposal to add stuff to an already messy and poorly optimised system - please focus efforts elsewhere!

Pippo

Post by Pippo » Fri May 21, 2021 9:52 am

What about something that helps crafting?

- Having the +1/2 to Craft Mastery actually add extra max crafting points (if kept equipped for a sensible amount of time).
- With the same cost (or more) of a +1stat or +1 uni saves, a +1 to a smithing/alchemy/carpentry/herbalism/art (for which you would still need to have at least 1 skill point in the said trade).

If such values stack between different parts of the gear, one could limit the total bonus as fraction of the actual trade points invested (e.g. allowing a max bonus of +1 for each 5 points invested).

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Fri May 21, 2021 1:10 pm

I like the idea of very low level spells being addable to items. Maybe just misc small items. Just for fun rp purposes!

On a more mechanical level - maybe enchantments (Or essences) that apply bonus damage/defence against creature types could be cool too? Though obviously only at a low level. That'd allow a lot of customization.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

Curve

Post by Curve » Fri May 21, 2021 1:28 pm

The GrumpyCat wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 1:10 pm
On a more mechanical level - maybe enchantments (Or essences) that apply bonus damage/defence against creature types could be cool too? Though obviously only at a low level. That'd allow a lot of customization.

Not sure if you mean things like vs goblins and undead or vs PC races but, we had a very advanced enchantment system on the Fixed Level server, and it heavily benefits mundanes willing to carry around multiple weapons/armor for +to hit/damage and +ac vs specific races. This leads to more damage bloat because if people can do something on Arelith they will. It felt gamey on FL and was very annoying to have to jugle 7 different swords, just very min-max centric. Even more min-man than Arelith already is.

Scurvy Cur

Post by Scurvy Cur » Fri May 21, 2021 5:26 pm

I'd probably refrain from copying anything from the FL server. There's a reason that its long term stable population was about 2 people.

Regarding +2 specific saves, I'd actually advise against that. Runic property count excludes all specific saving throw bonuses when determining the tier of rune that's needed. For example, if you enchant the +3 willsave necklaces with 1 strength and 2 discipline, you can use the lowest quality of rune to add +1 constitution because the +3 willsave bonus doesn't eat up runic slot. Going to +2 ref/will/fort bonuses in the basin will probably confer a huge advantage to tri-stat/quad-stat builds due to the relative ease of doing stat/stat/stat/+2 specific save/skill or stat/stat/+2 specific save/skill/skill gear, which can be further runed. Likewise, removing unisaves from the basin would be a giant setback for anything that runs a con + primary stat setup.

As previously mentioned, I actually think the current setup of unisave bonuses which eat up a runic property slot, and specific saves that don't is in a perfect place.

Seekeepeek

Post by Seekeepeek » Fri May 21, 2021 6:49 pm

i like it as it is to be honest. it's in a good place...
that being said...

i have a suggestion to make it easier:

you make a ring named "my ring" with say +1 con, +1 str.

you let "my ring" linger in the basin.

you then add a raw new ring in the basin, so it now store 2 items.

and select the new option

"Attempt Duplication"

And the basin attempt to clone "my ring" upon the raw Ring.

if it fail only "my ring" will stay in the basin.

since "Attempt Duplication" only work with 2 items in the basin, you can't loss any items by mistake. and the feature will check if at least one of the items is blank (no enchantments on)

Just an idea how it could work, what do you think?

Shrouded Wanderer

Post by Shrouded Wanderer » Fri May 21, 2021 8:13 pm

Irongron wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 2:41 pm
So, another thing I've noticed from playing is that while we have this excellent and in depth system for dwea...deem...ENCHANTMENT, with various tiers, runes and the like, we have a really lackluster range of actual options to place on items.

I have some thoughts, such as adding low level spells, removing uni saves in favour of all 3, and certain feats. It's obviously a tricky area to balance, but right now I feel there is very little room creativity.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
Ive said a lot, and it never gets very much traction, but dwoemers being able to have either hidden or open NEGATIVE effects (curses) would be neat and a vary lore friendly way to add more variability to items

The way i see it is that a Dwoemer can select from a list of curses that actually increase percentage chances to add an extra enchantment based on the severity of the curse

The curses should be random but include choosing

-2 to random ability score add +6% to enchant
-1 to random ability score add +2%
-4 to random skill add +2%
-2 to random skill add +1%
-1 to random AC type add +3%

EDIT: some other ideas based around adding spells and such could be

Curse of encumbrance - item weighs 10 lbs heavier
Cursed property - item cannot be unequipped
Curse of sight - lose 10 spot
Curse of the unkowledgeable - reduced Xp gain (-2xp on enemies killed with this weapon or item equipped)
Curse of size (thanks to new update) - character shrinks upon equipping item by X%

And balance the percentage gain around that and godsaves.

This would add a huge variability to enchanted items while also giving people the opportunity to focus a bit more on somthing

I would say as well that the curses should cost 20k to add just to start becuase there are powerful implications there, and if somone curses say a hard 5% then the percentage should STAY hard % and not allow godsaving, and also a maximum of say 2 total curses
Last edited by Shrouded Wanderer on Fri May 21, 2021 8:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Waldo52

Post by Waldo52 » Fri May 21, 2021 8:18 pm

I'm glad to see this thread because I've actually wondered about weapon properties myself. There is a distinct lack of interesting options For weapons on this otherwise excellent server.

I briefly played on a server called Grayhawk before discovering Arelith and one thing I liked about it was the presence of cool weapon gimmicks like on-hit blindness and other spells. Blindness inflicted by a rogue was so much fun! I think a lot of those cool touch spells like contagion, vampiric touch and infestation of maggots which don't see enough use could get a second lease on life as on-hit weapon effects.

Diegovog

Post by Diegovog » Fri May 21, 2021 11:13 pm

A great addition would be to move skills to the first page of the basin options. And in the skill section also keep in the first page the most enchanted ones (discipline, spellcraft, lore). This alone would save a LOT of button pressing.

It should be:
1. Skills
2. Attritutes
3. Specific Saving Throws

This change alone would make the process so much more manageable.

Woper_The_Black

Post by Woper_The_Black » Sun May 23, 2021 8:11 pm

Make the menu list 10 or even 15 items long instead of what it is now 5 or 6 ?
Off topic: Add weight reduction orbs to the loot matrix, along with gems of light (different colours) that can add light to an item

Good Character

Post by Good Character » Sun May 23, 2021 8:19 pm

Woper_The_Black wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 8:11 pm
along with gems of light (different colours) that can add light to an item
These exist.

Babylon System is the Vampire

Post by Babylon System is the Vampire » Mon May 24, 2021 7:45 am

I haven't thought about balance at all here, but something I think could be cool is creating once per day items with high level spells that don't rely on dcs (since the dcs will be awful). Make them require things like the lower runic stuff to create, giving those items a little more value. This could be done with crafting too of course, but I like the idea of a higher chance of failure. This will help add some value to the lower runic stuff, which is in a pitiful state right now. while the high end runic stuff is admittedly way to expensive, the difference between running a dungeon and getting a tier one item vs a tier 3 item can be between 300 thousand and 2 million gold depending on the runic item in question.

examples of spells that could fit in here:

Mind blank
premonition
greater stoneskin
spell mantle

Also, adding damage immunity at small percentages via enchanting would be nice, as well as a slight increase across the board to things like deflection ac bonus, nat bonus, ect. But doing that will take some serious thought by people smarter then I, because while I still think monk and div dips are too strong for the most part feasible builds are in the best place they have been in the entire 4 years now I have been playing here, and you don't want to risk that by messing around to much.

Party in the forest at midnight

Post by Party in the forest at midnight » Mon May 24, 2021 2:23 pm

Woper_The_Black wrote:
This would be horrible, I wouldn't be able to quickly use my keyboard to select what I want to do.

The one quality of life thing I would like is some way to repeat a sequence of dweomers. When I'm trying to put 5 skills onto something it's miserable having to go 6 6 6 2 3 2 1 6 6 6 2 5 2 1 6 6 6 2 6 3 2 1 6 6 6 2 6 4 2 1 6 6 6 2 6 6 4 2 1 6 6 6 2 6 6 6 2 1 just to get through adding skills to things, this is BEFORE adding the hard part which are stats or whatever. So repeat this hundreds of times.

Aelryn Bloodmoon
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Aelryn Bloodmoon » Mon May 24, 2021 5:52 pm

Party in the forest at midnight wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 2:23 pm
Woper_The_Black wrote:
This would be horrible, I wouldn't be able to quickly use my keyboard to select what I want to do.

The one quality of life thing I would like is some way to repeat a sequence of dweomers. When I'm trying to put 5 skills onto something it's miserable having to go 6 6 6 2 3 2 1 6 6 6 2 5 2 1 6 6 6 2 6 3 2 1 6 6 6 2 6 4 2 1 6 6 6 2 6 6 4 2 1 6 6 6 2 6 6 6 2 1 just to get through adding skills to things, this is BEFORE adding the hard part which are stats or whatever. So repeat this hundreds of times.
Don't forget to add the 5-15 seconds of wait time for the next dialogue to load each time, depending on what's happening on the server at the time.
Bane's tyranny is known throughout the continent, and his is the image most seen as the face of evil.
-Faiths and Pantheons (c)2002

TheRagingGoblin

Post by TheRagingGoblin » Tue May 25, 2021 6:38 am

Aelryn Bloodmoon wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 5:52 pm
Party in the forest at midnight wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 2:23 pm
Woper_The_Black wrote:

Don't forget to add the 5-15 seconds of wait time for the next dialogue to load each time, depending on what's happening on the server at the time.
This. Make the system easier & less tedious to use. One way is to accept a single string of ordered arguments. Ie -disc 2 -sc 2 -lore 2 -str -con. Attempt each in order from beginning to end.

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Wed May 26, 2021 12:46 am

I've never seen the playerbase so united in feedback forum before lol
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Thu May 27, 2021 3:56 am

A "Clone this item" feature would be incredible, like mentioned above.

Fargreze

Post by Fargreze » Thu May 27, 2021 7:16 am

Tyrantos wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 2:46 pm
Would be cool if we could lower saves on things as well, to create "Cursed" items perhaps. I mean it would be cool to be able to create a cursed item, or a stronger item with heavier drawbacks. Though I do not know how the system is coded, so I am unsure if this is possible.
As a side note, I have sometimes found good-only items on evil characters and the reverse. It would be cool if specific evil-locked items had crafting recipes to transform them into an alternate version for other alignments. This could for example be RP'd as breaking the curse on a sword (something I wanted to do with the "Corrupted Light" longsword I found on one PC), or placing one... perhaps there could be a generic basin-based system for translating these properties, instead of creating new alternative items one-by-one?

Another idea: what if item properties could be targeted and replaced with alternative enchantments, at higher cost, but reduced risk of destroying the item? That way, if you find a near-perfect amulet on an enemy, you could upgrade the dealbreaker Disc +1 to Disc +2, or replace Listen +2 with Spot +2, etc. Using the basin to upgrade and replace enchantments would be very cool.

At any rate: the price of enchantment, the importance of having good gear, and the limited inventory space available to each character, all taken together, will mean 'flavour' enchants are likely to be ignored. Any new basin effects would have to be useful to be interesting, in my opinion. I cannot think of a novelty RP-only effect I would rather have than +2 into a skill, and I don't really want to carry another gear set in addition to my Disable Trap set and other situational but important equipment (Climb...). I would do a lot to get CL 20 Expeditious Retreat on some boots though! Anything really enticing is also probably a balance issue.