Death by Rest

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

Ninjimmy

Re: Death by Rest

Post by Ninjimmy » Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:52 pm

Morgy wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:45 pm
Ninjimmy wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:41 pm
Morgy wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:17 pm
Eating/drinking/etc make sense from a RP view, I think the difference here is quite clear.

Dying when you sit down does not - especially when you actually heal during that point anyway (presumably tending to your wounds, as sleep alone isn't going to bring someone back from near death), so logically you should be recovering in the same way.
That feels like a misnomer, from an RP point of view you're concentrating on using a magic spell to increase your bodies resistance to traumatic injury. When you rest without treating the injuries, you're just dropping the spell and suffering the consequences.

Its the same as not eating/drinking and getting fatigued, at least from my perspective.
By this logic, shapeshifting druids should be dying when they unpolymorph, not just dropping to 1hp.
Well, yeah. They probably should.
Playing:
Olwin (AKA Olicoros Vrozt Akael Shilligg Jugem Dojj Winzalfur AKA That £$%^ing Wizard)

Ninjimmy

Post by Ninjimmy » Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:55 pm

Maladus wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:47 pm
Ninjimmy wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:57 pm
I'm not sure "unfun" is a good counter-argument, much like arguing the food/water/rest gauges are "unfun" because a subjective player isn't managing them and has penalties kick in suddenly while adventuring. It's a cause and effect of the game and it's entirely avoidable.
My argument against this has never been solely about it being "unfun." It's been about it being counter-intuitive to what a player would expect. The idea that "this is just the way the game works so get used to it" is a bad idea. If something doesn't work the way that most people expect it to work, and there is a clear way to fix that with literally no downside, then why would you not fix it?
I'm not sure its all that counter intuitive but I dont wanna speak for other players. To my mind, its as logical as the food/water fatigue things. Endurance when you're low on hp is magic triage, you need to treat your wounds before sleeping.
Playing:
Olwin (AKA Olicoros Vrozt Akael Shilligg Jugem Dojj Winzalfur AKA That £$%^ing Wizard)

Maladus

Post by Maladus » Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:04 pm

Ninjimmy wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:55 pm
Maladus wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:47 pm
Ninjimmy wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:57 pm
I'm not sure "unfun" is a good counter-argument, much like arguing the food/water/rest gauges are "unfun" because a subjective player isn't managing them and has penalties kick in suddenly while adventuring. It's a cause and effect of the game and it's entirely avoidable.
My argument against this has never been solely about it being "unfun." It's been about it being counter-intuitive to what a player would expect. The idea that "this is just the way the game works so get used to it" is a bad idea. If something doesn't work the way that most people expect it to work, and there is a clear way to fix that with literally no downside, then why would you not fix it?
I'm not sure its all that counter intuitive but I dont wanna speak for other players. To my mind, its as logical as the food/water fatigue things. Endurance when you're low on hp is magic triage, you need to treat your wounds before sleeping.
I don't think the average player sees it that way. I am somewhat familiar with the game mechanics and it happened to me. Unless I don't have my finger on the pulse of what makes up the average Arelith playerbase, I'd say that the average player would be caught off guard if this happened to them and that is a problem.

Security_Blanket

Post by Security_Blanket » Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:17 pm

I was caught off guard the first time it happened years ago, but I've learned since. I can only speak for myself but I have no issue with it as is. I'd have some issue if we had to deal with other bugs in order to fix a problem that I don't personally see as a problem.

Draco Deleteur
Dreadlord Lucius Blackhand - "All is as Bane wills it."

Drogo Gyslain

Post by Drogo Gyslain » Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:25 pm

Ninjimmy wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:52 pm
Morgy wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:45 pm
Ninjimmy wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:41 pm

That feels like a misnomer, from an RP point of view you're concentrating on using a magic spell to increase your bodies resistance to traumatic injury. When you rest without treating the injuries, you're just dropping the spell and suffering the consequences.

Its the same as not eating/drinking and getting fatigued, at least from my perspective.
By this logic, shapeshifting druids should be dying when they unpolymorph, not just dropping to 1hp.
Well, yeah. They probably should.
Shapeshifters are protected from this effect by resolving at least 1HP leftover. The problem is, how much is left over isn't exactly proportional to what you exited shapeshift with.

Example: A Normal Totem Druid has a Con score between 4-10. As a shifted animal, your con can be as high as mid 30s easily. When you shift back down, say... To heal and rest, you may shift down with 30HP leftover, but that 30 hp doesn't translate to 30 HP for yoru base form, it turns into something like 10.

If your CON is buffed enough to where shifting down, and then your buffs expiring will put you negative, it's not something that you always check. You see you're badly hurt, shift and rest to heal, and you can lose things in the moment.

It's not a perfect situation, but there is no real good explaination on why it happens mechanically. Resting shouldn't kill you.

-XXX-

Post by -XXX- » Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:43 am

So your toon just suffered some life-threatening injuries?

It does make sense (and seems like good RP) for them to tend the injuries with at least some basic medical treatment (use that one healing kit, c'mon!) before they attempt to sleep it off...

Maladus

Post by Maladus » Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:45 pm

-XXX- wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:43 am
So your toon just suffered some life-threatening injuries?

It does make sense (and seems like good RP) for them to tend the injuries with at least some basic medical treatment (use that one healing kit, c'mon!) before they attempt to sleep it off...
Ok, but the point is that resting shouldn't kill you when the expected result is that it will not kill you.

Morgy
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Morgy » Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:04 pm

Also, again, resting isn't even portrayed IG as sleeping anymore. You can sit up, talk, emote, etc..