Spear Animation

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

a shrouded figure

Spear Animation

Post by a shrouded figure » Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:49 am

So my spears still use two hand animations. Do I need to download something special for the 1h?

Kalopsia
General Admin
General Admin

Re: Spear Animation

Post by Kalopsia » Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:52 pm

a shrouded figure wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:49 am
So my spears still use two hand animations. Do I need to download something special for the 1h?
No, just wait for a reset :)

Dr. B

Post by Dr. B » Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:47 pm

If it's animated like a one-handed weapon then its going to constantly clip through your character's arm and torso.

Hinty

Post by Hinty » Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:15 pm

I leveled up a quick character to test this out on the PCGC and... Why? Dear god why?

Sure, the old two handed animation had the spear clipping through your shield a bit, but it wasn't massively noticeable and actually made for a very realistic fighting style, with the shield held out in front of the warrior where it will actually block attacks and being pulled aside slightly to strike.

This new animation? Oh dear god its atrocious. Who the hell would ever swing a spear around like that? If you were to give a spear to someone who had never even heard of one before they would never use it so ridiculously....

Please reconsider this change, I don't know about other players but personally, i just can not play a spear user while they have this animation because it so horrifically ruins any sense of immersion what so ever.

Glowing Mushroom
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Glowing Mushroom » Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:38 pm

Hinty wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:15 pm
I leveled up a quick character to test this out on the PCGC and... Why? Dear god why?

Sure, the old two handed animation had the spear clipping through your shield a bit, but it wasn't massively noticeable and actually made for a very realistic fighting style, with the shield held out in front of the warrior where it will actually block attacks and being pulled aside slightly to strike.

This new animation? Oh dear god its atrocious. Who the hell would ever swing a spear around like that? If you were to give a spear to someone who had never even heard of one before they would never use it so ridiculously....

Please reconsider this change, I don't know about other players but personally, i just can not play a spear user while they have this animation because it so horrifically ruins any sense of immersion what so ever.
Yeah I have to say, it does look pretty silly. Especially the way you walk around with it pointed outwards as if you're ready to poke everyone's knees. It no longer rests on your shoulder. The spear clipping with a shield was a minor negative detail before but I feel like this is worse.
Burin the Earthly.

Kenji

Post by Kenji » Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:12 pm

To clarify, we intended to do 100% thrust animation (no overhead bash or sideway slash) with 1H spear, but the result was NPCs started using only overhead bash and almost never any thrust animations due to distance - an animator or nwn .2da guru can explain this better in detail, but the gist of it is: the attack distance determines what animation is used. This also depends on the creatures' (the spear wielder or the target) hitboxes and collision sizes, so it'll be tricky to adjust.

So to "hotfix" this, we have lowered the prefattackdist from 1.4 to 1.1 in hopes of fixing it for the NPCs first. The long-term fix would require an animation artist to look into the animation files and make an override for us to cherry-pick the animations that we want.

Seeing as this is a subjective aesthetic change, it can and will be reverted should the outcome of the change is still undesirable to the community. I'll begin a poll in a week or two after people have really tested out the animation.

Personally, I dislike that the idle stance doesn't have the spear resting on the shoulders anymore. However, I do like that while walking/running around, the spear is at the ready so it looks combat-ready. Charging into the battle with the spear casually resting on the shoulder is just as unimmersive.

For reference -
This is the intended spear animation change:

This is the unintended side effect:

Good Character

Post by Good Character » Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:57 pm

I guess I was getting lucky! I was gonna say how great it looks, but I guess I was only getting the thrust animation for when I tested it.

Hinty

Post by Hinty » Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:48 pm

Just on the off chance, did you test the NPC animations attacking anything other than a sign? Because when I attacked a sign with a PC character with a spear, I only got that attack animation as well.

Edit: Also, that desired animation does not look all that different from the two hand thrust. Not sure that limiting spear wielders to one single attack animation in order to avoid a minor clipping issue is the answer.

Also only got the downward swing animation when attacking beetles and rats, so need to be attacking actual enemies of the same height probably, that or humanoids, dunno.

Kenji

Post by Kenji » Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:13 am

Cast your votes here:
viewtopic.php?f=39&t=34056

The attack distant is also changed to 1.1, please let me know how the NPCs and monsters behave with spears and if they still bash/slash with spear instead of thrust.

Red_Wharf

Post by Red_Wharf » Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:00 am

Having tested a spear-based character in the PGCC a few hours ago against a few enemies, the thrust animation was somewhat rare. While fighting giants, all my character did constantly was the silly overhead bashing with the butt of the spear, although a few thrusts happened from time to time when fighting Pit Fiends, so I'll assume this whole animation thing takes in consideration the kind of model or enemy you're fighting, in some way.

Morgy

Post by Morgy » Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:28 am

Hins and I assume other small characters also still use the 2H animation.

Morgy

Post by Morgy » Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:25 pm

Kenji wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:13 am
Cast your votes here:
viewtopic.php?f=39&t=34056

The attack distant is also changed to 1.1, please let me know how the NPCs and monsters behave with spears and if they still bash/slash with spear instead of thrust.
Hi Kenji,

The small races are still using the 2H animation for the spear, as though using a longsword.

Thanks!

Royal Blood

Post by Royal Blood » Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:17 pm

I have an elf that uses a spear and she too slashes with it like a sword while holding a shield.
I am not on a team.
I do not win, I do not lose.
I tell a story, and when I'm lucky,
Play a part in the story you tell too.

Kenji

Post by Kenji » Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:10 pm

Will have a fix coming up Soon™

Morgy

Post by Morgy » Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:44 pm

Kenji wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:10 pm
Will have a fix coming up Soon™
Hi Kenji!

With the new one-handed style spear on mini-folk, they're holding it in the same grip as a short-sword and using the same animations.

Is this intended? 8-)